New member, about to pick up my STI

quality_sound

Hey all,

I should be picking up my '14 STI this weekend. She's a WRB base, no option model. Nothing I wanted couldn't be added later and I didn't want leather or a sunroof. It was down to an STI or another E90 M3. I know, everyone probably thinks I lost my mind but the M3 has some issues that a car that expensive shouldn't have, still costs more than a new STI (especially with Subaru's military pricing), and is MUCH more expensive to maintain and mod. The modding cost is really what pushed me over the edge. This will be my first Scooby but obviously not my first performance car. I look forward to seeing what he Subaru community is all about.

Cheers, Paul

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Nice.

Welcome to the team.

You'll love your STi. ;)

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Welcome.
The STi represents a good performance per dollar compared to most. Not very luxurious but who needs that, anyway ;) .

quality_sound

Thanks all!

For mods, at least at first, it'll be audio only. I promised my wife that we'd mod her Tacoma before the STI. After that though, AP, exhaust, suspension and wheels. After that, I'm sure it'll be little things like subtle stuff in the interior, engine bay, and exterior.

quality_sound

Well after a VERY trying couple of weeks I FINALLY have my STI. The WRB one I was supposed to buy was sold out from under me after some slightly shady promises on their part. THen after two weeks of them telling me they had sourced me a car but were oddly unable to ever have delivered I found one EXACTLY like it at another dealer. Unfortunately, this dealer was literally twice as far (7 hours vs. 3.5) away so it became an overnight trip with the family. EBded up going to Medieval Times for a really cool NYE show/party. :) As for the car, instead of WRB, I got Plasma Blue. That's not a bad thing, it's a great color, just not what I was looking for initially. Also, instead of the performance pack, trunk mat, and satellite radio, this one has the trunk mat, all-weather mats, wheel locks, and the underseat sub. I wanted the trunk and all-weather mats anyway, and would have MUCH preferred to have the XM and performance pack instead of the sub and wheel locks, but I can add any number of short shift kits and the OEM radio won't be in the car long enough for it to really matter anyway. I will TRY to get some pics this weekend but it badly needs a detail. Swirls, swirls, and more swirls.

Oh well, I finally got my car, managed to get 28MPG (indicated, which so far is actually reading BELOW my actual mileage) on the trip back to my training base by sticking to the speed limits, and it sounds friggin amazing. Now to buy my wife some wheels and tries for her Tacoma so I can start modding. She actually WANTS me to put the SPT exhaust on it. lol

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Congrats!

Now you need a membership so you can rock some gear. :)

Grinder34

Track Monkey
28 mpg isnt too bad! Sucks about the shady dealer though.

As for "performance packages" it seems like everything you pay for in the package is likely to be upgraded anyways.

I think the SPT isnt a true 3" exhaust, so if you're thinking of doing a 3" downpipe, you might want to find a different cat-back to throw on for max performance.

So what will be your first mod?

quality_sound

Agreed, but a true base STI seems to be impossible to find.

The SPT is only for the sound, she really likes it. lol I don't plan in any big power mods for a while.

Probably a front plate delete, suspension, wheels but stereo will likely be the very first thing.

quality_sound

Well that didn't take long...

Car is less than a month old (maybe 3 weeks), and on day 5 I got a HUGE rock chip on the passenger fender. Touch up showed up yesterday and I got to work. Everything was going great until the wetsanding. Maybe 15 seconds with 2500 grit and almost no pressure and I was through the clear. WTF? I've don't this hundreds of times and NEVER gone through the clear. Subaru must use almost no clear at all. The only plus is that since it was down to metal and really big my only other option to repair it was a body shop anyway I'm not really any worse off. I may even have them clear the entire car so I'll have more clear to work with when detailing.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Start up a journal, man!

But i've always heard how soft the Subaru paint is. I'm not much of a detailer myself, but I think the bodyshop guy said it was "basically watercolor"

quality_sound

It basically is. It was crazy how fast it burned though. I will, once I have something better to out in there than me jackin up my paint. lol

Robb

Well after a VERY trying couple of weeks I FINALLY have my STI. The WRB one I was supposed to buy was sold out from under me after some slightly shady promises on their part. THen after two weeks of them telling me they had sourced me a car but were oddly unable to ever have delivered I found one EXACTLY like it at another dealer. Unfortunately, this dealer was literally twice as far (7 hours vs. 3.5) away so it became an overnight trip with the family. EBded up going to Medieval Times for a really cool NYE show/party. :) As for the car, instead of WRB, I got Plasma Blue. That's not a bad thing, it's a great color, just not what I was looking for initially. Also, instead of the performance pack, trunk mat, and satellite radio, this one has the trunk mat, all-weather mats, wheel locks, and the underseat sub. I wanted the trunk and all-weather mats anyway, and would have MUCH preferred to have the XM and performance pack instead of the sub and wheel locks, but I can add any number of short shift kits and the OEM radio won't be in the car long enough for it to really matter anyway. I will TRY to get some pics this weekend but it badly needs a detail. Swirls, swirls, and more swirls.

Oh well, I finally got my car, managed to get 28MPG (indicated, which so far is actually reading BELOW my actual mileage) on the trip back to my training base by sticking to the speed limits, and it sounds friggin amazing. Now to buy my wife some wheels and tries for her Tacoma so I can start modding. She actually WANTS me to put the SPT exhaust on it. lol

Awesome Congrats on the STI!! I bet the wait was well worth it for sure but the I do not like the fact your WRB was sold out from under you that's bad buisness. WRB is the true rally color for the STI that gets my heart going especially with gold wheels- but I'd admit if I had to have an alternate color Plasma Blue would be it! My wife loves Plasma compared to WRB by far but I'm sure you will learn to be happy with it fast! When I first saw it in person it was so much better than how the pictures portrayed it. It is so detailed with depth and so very beautiful in the sun light(which in Florida we get a lot so it's very visible!) and it looks like a purple blue hue. At night it looks black but then when the light bounces off it you get to see the metallic flakes change colors and it looks purple but a very appealing purple if that makes any sense at all? I too came from a BMW V8( http://igotasti.com/vBforum/showthread.php?6739-What-Aaap!-New-Member-with-4th-Subie-en-route! ) and cannot wait for my STI to arrive this year! I completely understand what you mean about the S65 limitations as unless you supercharge it, you will spend a lot with not so much HP/TQ gains compared to an already turbo'd car like the STI. You will be very happy with your STI for sure coming from the M3 I assure you. I come from a similar platform with just selling my E39 M5 last July and even though my M5 was 500 lb heavier and the S62 engine not as light or high revving as yours, it is a close comparison. From my own perspective you will not get the status looks for the STI that you did with the M3 nor will you see as many around like you would with the M3(in my area M3's were common but not STI's). The STI is a very raw fun car with little to no disconnection from what is going on with road noise or feedback. The M will mute some of this but and remind you that it is a sport luxury car you own that can do both very well. The STI is made to rally, auto cross, drive on world famous tracks, and take to your local drag strip all on the same weekend without issue. It was made to push to its limits and is so well built to take on anything you throw at it just keeps on going. When you can sign up for a HPDE at your closest track, take it bone stock if you want and just watch how well it does out of the box- you will be amazed! Then add the TBE and a good dyno tune via Protune or ECUTEK and go back and watch how many very high priced vehicles you are able to out perform! Of course the best money ever spent is track time so you enhance your driving skills to gain the most out of your STI- that above all is the best money ever spent! But I am similar to you as I have to help my wife add coilovers and wheels to her car then I will take delivery of the 2015 STI and after break in add a good TBE and dyno tune and be happy ever after as these cars so good out of the box it is un freakin real. Sorry about the novel but congrats on the purchase and make sure you get that Tacoma taken care of cause a happy wife with mods on her car is a happy home with mods for all!! :)