New Member SoCal

NESTI

Hey guys thanks for having me. i've been a long term Subaru enthusiast, and now im finally a subaru owner. I'm from vermont but joined the Marines. through this 4 year journey ive ended up in california where i just bought my 07 STI. I had just gotten back from a 9 month deployment a month ago and was out of a car because the misses moved back to New England and took the one we shared. so my buddy who owns a WRX found my car in an add with 49k miles on it. the best part was that the day prior we were talking about dream cars and i said mine was an 07 white STI and there it was. that day we drove down to San Diego and after a lot of negotiation i bought it. It is an amazing car and its so much more than i expected. I will probably be writing a lot, im already starting to plan out a build and would really appreciate any advice and knowledge. i went up to SoCal Cobb tuning today and bought an access port, already a huge difference.
Laters

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Welcome! 07 is definitely the best year.

Start u p a member's journal with some pics and your build plan and I'm sure you'll get lots of ideas/suggestions.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Welcome to the team. Let's see some pics. :)

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Welcome to IGOTA! Pics pics pics! :D

NESTI

the next thing i think im going to do is just make it "stage2" i'm wanting to get a new down pipe. ive read a lot on tuning cars for 85 fuel, and i think i like what im hearing, especially considering california 91 is some of the worst gas. the guy at cobb lastnight also talked to me about it, he did this with his evo and said it was a great switch. it will be a little bit of work...he said i would need 1kcc injectors for 85, and a few other things im not sure i remember. but after those 2 goals i want to work on upgrading the suspension, which im going to be honest i know nothing about.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
I love suspension mods. :)

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
the next thing i think im going to do is just make it "stage2" i'm wanting to get a new down pipe. ive read a lot on tuning cars for 85 fuel, and i think i like what im hearing, especially considering california 91 is some of the worst gas. the guy at cobb lastnight also talked to me about it, he did this with his evo and said it was a great switch. it will be a little bit of work...he said i would need 1kcc injectors for 85, and a few other things im not sure i remember. but after those 2 goals i want to work on upgrading the suspension, which im going to be honest i know nothing about.

For E85 mine has:

ID 1000cc injectors
Deatschwerks 65c fuel pump
Grimmspeed EBCS

Tuned by Cobb - Plano, TX

Swaybars and endlinks are a good place to start on the suspension. After that, the skies the limit and depending on your goals and ride preferences.

NESTI

thanks a lot man, that alone is a huge help, gives me a good base to start on because for the last month ive been overwhelmed on how to go about upgrading this car and doing it right the first time, i want no halfass jobs on this car :)

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
If you do decide to go E85, your going to be amazed at just how much more power the car will make. Cold starts and fuel economy are the only drawback that I have. Seeing as how your in SoCal, cold starts may not be much of a worry for you. If you decide to head back to New England, then this will be an issue. Make sure the tuner works on the cold starts to help alleviate this, though it may never be totally remedied. Also, a block heater will be of a great benefit to you should you move back to the ice box. It's 30 or 40 bucks and will help greatly with cold starts when running ethanol.
Another thing you may want to strongly consider is a catch can/AOS setup. The watery oily mess that engine likes to make needs to be caught and dumped before it can wreak havoc on the motor.
A new clutch may be in the more near future as the stock unit will not hold the power E85 can put down. (depending on how you drive)
TGV deletes are also recommended. You may want to do this before/during your stage 2 protune. I didn't and I regret it.
If you plan to go with big power in the future, you may as well start building the motor. At the very least you will need to add forged pistons. At the most (and arguably the best way) is to rework the entire engine and heads/cams/turbo and make them work as a single and efficient unit. This will be big dollars.

Swaybars and endlinks are recommended as a first suspension mod.
ALK (anti lift kit), Steering rack bushings and rear bushings and inserts (diff mounts, etc) should probably be next. Add a performance alignment to get some negative camber from the front (1-1.5* neg) and try to max the positive caster. This along with the above will greatly improve the handling of the car.
If your bent on getting springs then make sure you look at a revalve on the struts. I believe it is a must to get the valving to match the springs. (Feal Suspension does revalving) Swift, Epic, and RCE (RaceComp Engineering) I have heard make a very nice spring for the stick strut.
Coilovers are very nice but not really necessary for a street driven car. If you want them and your on a budget then look at BC, Feal, H&R, Fortune Auto and Eibach.
If you want to plunk down the change then look at AST, KW and Ohlins.
If lowering your car , whether on Coilovers or springs, remember that there will be corrective measures you need to take in order for things to perform well. At the very least an RCA or "tie rod/steering arm" relocation will be need to combat bumpsteer, etc. Rear toe arms or even Lateral links/arms (rear LCA) may be needed to correct camber and toe issues.

In the end it just depends on your goals. If you plan to track the car on road courses or all out high speed then your build needs to go that way. If AutoX and cone killing are your style then it will go in a very different direction. Rally-X and off-road events will need to be of course, you guessed it, planned very differently from the above.
If your just wanting to be a stoplight killer/DD badass then, well, plan for it. LOL

These are just suggestions and loose guidelines but may be of help to someone that just became overwhelmed by the lights of Las Vegas
Basically, now is the research time and this is the time to hopefully avoid as much unnecessary expense as possible. Ask a lot of questions and remember their is no such thing as dumb questions. There are a lot of very experienced individuals here and one thing I can say is that most everyone here has a very healthy dose of common sense.

NESTI

thank's man, thats a lot of great info. do most downpipes fit all turbos? it seems that depending on the turbo and its size it makes the angle and mounting process of the downpipe difficult. id hate to go out and buy a perrin or cobb down pipe just to run into problems later on down the road when i get a new turbo i.e. needing to go and buy a new down pipe

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Swaybars and endlinks are a good place to start on the suspension. After that, the skies the limit and depending on your goals and ride preferences.

I agree. Suspension mods FTW. However, I feel that if you're going to get sway bars (which you totally should, best mod for the $ I say) you should also get new sway bar mounts. The factory ones are spongy. I've never understood putting a nice set of sway bars into soft sway bar mounts. Just my $0.02.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
thank's man, thats a lot of great info. do most downpipes fit all turbos? it seems that depending on the turbo and its size it makes the angle and mounting process of the downpipe difficult. id hate to go out and buy a perrin or cobb down pipe just to run into problems later on down the road when i get a new turbo i.e. needing to go and buy a new down pipe

That kind of depends on what turbo you may buy in the future. My Invidia downpipe fit my factory turbo and also the GT3071 I have installed now. I like most of Cobb's products. I have their SS 3" catback and I am very happy with it, but I would steer you away from their downpipe because though it is "3 inch", it does neck down to 2.5 inches at one point which honestly, makes quite a big difference in flow.

My downpipe fit both turbos because my GT3071 is a "stock location replacement". I'm not too sure what the deal is with downpipes for rotated turbos though. I'm sure some of the guys here can expand on that. Otherwise, the only other consideration I think would obviously be whether the turbo is internally or externally gated. If you go with an internally gated turbo in the future (and even now with the stocker) I highly recommend a partially divorced wastegate downpipe. A few companies make them, I have one like that from Invidia (that is not catted, I know you probably will run a cat in CA) which has a metal tongue that meets the back of the turbo housing and separates the wastegate exhaust flow from the main turbine exducer flow. The wastegate flow generally travels downstream in it's own runner before being reintroduced into to the main downpipe flow 18" or more after the turbo. This is more important that it sounds.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
I agree. Suspension mods FTW. However, I feel that if you're going to get sway bars (which you totally should, best mod for the $ I say) you should also get new sway bar mounts. The factory ones are spongy. I've never understood putting a nice set of sway bars into soft sway bar mounts. Just my $0.02.

Yep. Forgot about that. I always see them as kits, I forget that they also come without them. :tup:

Spamby

Meat Product Toy

That kind of depends on what turbo you may buy in the future. My Invidia downpipe fit my factory turbo and also the GT3071 I have installed now. I like most of Cobb's products. I have their SS 3" catback and I am very happy with it, but I would steer you away from their downpipe because though it is "3 inch", it does neck down to 2.5 inches at one point which honestly, makes quite a big difference in flow.

My downpipe fit both turbos because my GT3071 is a "stock location replacement". I'm not too sure what the deal is with downpipes for rotated turbos though. I'm sure some of the guys here can expand on that. Otherwise, the only other consideration I think would obviously be whether the turbo is internally or externally gated. If you go with an internally gated turbo in the future (and even now with the stocker) I highly recommend a partially divorced wastegate downpipe. A few companies make them, I have one like that from Invidia (that is not catted, I know you probably will run a cat in CA) which has a metal tongue that meets the back of the turbo housing and separates the wastegate exhaust flow from the main turbine exducer flow. The wastegate flow generally travels downstream in it's own runner before being reintroduced into to the main downpipe flow 18" or more after the turbo. This is more important that it sounds.

Definitely depends on the turbo you plan to use in the future. Stock location turbos "should" fit the downpipes made for stock turbos. Unless your going with something weird or twinscroll. Rotated turbos are just that, rotated in order to be able to fit a much larger turbo within the constraints of the engine compartment. Because of the location change a downpipe will need to be changed in order to mate up.

Divorced downpipes and bellmouth downpipes are debatable on which is better, especially at lower power levels/smaller turbos. In the end I would be more inclined to choose one that has good quality materials, craftsmanship and full length diameter pipe more so than if it is divorced or not... at least at the early stages of the game.
Yes, try to find a pipe that stays a full whatever length rather than necking down. Cobb's does neck down which is a bummer cause they make nice products.
I have some Perrin products and have no issues with them but I have seen issues with their products. A coworker has had to replace his up pipe once by Perrin because the welds broke at the flanges. The replacement has now split again. The Perrin downpipe has also failed at he welds around the turbo flange. He had that welded up by one of our welders at the shop and it has since remained trouble free.
I have the Invidia V3 catless and it has remained solid for the last several years. It's a divorced bellmouth pipe with a full 3" tube. They also make catted ones for people in emissions regulated states. I have also heard that TurboXS makes a good pipe.

If you plan to go bigger turbo down the road, your downpipe now is going to be the least of your worries.