new tires.

tprice20

So i am getting all new tires for my stock bbs rims on my 06 sti. i was wondering if i should go with the standard 225/45R17 or if i can go wider and what are good tires to get i have around 500$ to spend. thanks

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
You can fit as large as a 245*40 on the stock rim. I recommend 235*40 to stay close to the original diameter and maintain a more natural look versus the 245*40, which is slightly larger thereby making the speedometer less accurate but will fill out the wheel well a bit more. Also with the 245 the side wall will balloon more.

I have used quite a few tire brands out there and the last few years have been spent trying out cheaper less known brands. My conclusion is don't wast your money on expensive brands. There are cheaper tires that rival the handling characteristics of a more expensive tire such as Nexen (from Korea) and Sumitomo (from Japan). I have these on my car right now and they are the stickiest gosh darn things I have used to date plus they are VR rated and fair well in all road conditions. Plus they are comfortable and quiet. All the characteristics you would find in an expensive brand but at a fraction of the cost. They can be had for under $80 plus shipping if you look hard enough.

tprice20

thanks i will look into that size i want something that will fill up my wheel well a little more. and what wheels do you have on your car right now?

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Well I drive a 240SX so I'm not sure it would apply to your car. For what it's worth I have Rota Grids. When I had my STi I had some off brand wheel that was 18X8 and the tires were 245-40-18 and the offset was -35. It's the car in my sig and my journal.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
To what George was saying:

The cheaper tires arent that far off from the more expensive ones in regards to performance. Sure the premium sticky tires grip more but were not diehard track enthusiasts that go tracking every weekend. Sumitomo from personal experience and friends are pretty much hitting the nail on the head for a cheap set of good sticky tires. The performance of course.

For all seasons i have michelin primacy mxm4... Have had for 3 years and still have a good amount of thread left. However in the $800 range.

It really comes down to what you need and how long you need it to last.

You can save a crap load of money on buying used tires as opposed to new ones if you have the required knowledge to determine if the deal is worth it.

As far as winter tires... Have only had blizzaks. And they rocked. Anyone else have had anything else besides blizzaks on their scoob? (Or 240 :lol: )

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Do you get much snow where you live?

Do you go to the track, autox or drag strip at all?

Those are very important questions to answer before deciding on tires.

If you get snow you'll want all-seasons (or preferably a different winter/summer setup).
If you go to the track you'll need higher speed rated tires and ones that can hold up to the heat a bit better.

For a summer only tire
Summitomo HTR Z III are a great value!
Hankook V12 (what I have) are surprisingly long lasting and grippy.
Bridgestone S-04 should be good (the S-03 were great)
Bridgestone RE760 are a long lasting and reasonably grippy

And the list goes on.

If you need/want a second set for winter, you can often get a great deal on a used set of wheels/tires from various message boards. The middle of winter isn't USUALLY the best time to find those deals, but come spring time i bet you'll see lots of lightly used sets come up for dirt cheap.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Do you get much snow where you live?

Do you go to the track, autox or drag strip at all?

Those are very important questions to answer before deciding on tires.

If you get snow you'll want all-seasons (or preferably a different winter/summer setup).
If you go to the track you'll need higher speed rated tires and ones that can hold up to the heat a bit better.

For a summer only tire
Summitomo HTR Z III are a great value!
Hankook V12 (what I have) are surprisingly long lasting and grippy.
Bridgestone S-04 should be good (the S-03 were great)
Bridgestone RE760 are a long lasting and reasonably grippy

And the list goes on.

If you need/want a second set for winter, you can often get a great deal on a used set of wheels/tires from various message boards. The middle of winter isn't USUALLY the best time to find those deals, but come spring time i bet you'll see lots of lightly used sets come up for dirt cheap.

I second the sumitomo htr z 3 and re760. The re760 definitely gripped better than the htr z 3 but they do cost more. I hear very good things about those hankook v12s!!

tprice20

i get snow mabe a week out of the year it rains alot here in oregon. looking for more just daily driving tires but i do drift around but cant know because i have a giant screw in my tire now.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
I agree with Alinro and Grinder. Blizzaks are amazing in the worst of the worst winter conditions.
It would take an act of God to get me to switch snow tires.

I have tried numerous different summer performance tires since I've owned the car. I haven't run
the same brand/model tires twice in a row. So far, my favorites are what I have installed on my
summer set right now, Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport. They have a reinforced shoulder, which
is great because I destroy the shoulders on other tires with the way I drive. :D

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
^ re760 again. Is there nothing better for around the same price or under??

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
I'm not really sure. Personally, they are the best tires I've had so far. I have a very difficult time deciding
on tires and reading reviews on Tire Rack or other sites. You never know for sure who is an idiot and who
actually knows what they're talking about so I try not to pass judgement on a tire unless I've used it myself.

I imagine there are some off brands that are similar or as good though. Obviously, with every choice, there
is a tradeoff somewhere. Some tires I've had were exceptionally sticky, but I destroyed them in a little over
a year. Others are sticky AND last a long time, but wipe out your savings account. LMAO You know how it goes.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I'm not really sure. Personally, they are the best tires I've had so far. I have a very difficult time deciding
on tires and reading reviews on Tire Rack or other sites. You never know for sure who is an idiot and who
actually knows what they're talking about so I try not to pass judgement on a tire unless I've used it myself.

I imagine there are some off brands that are similar or as good though. Obviously, with every choice, there
is a tradeoff somewhere. Some tires I've had were exceptionally sticky, but I destroyed them in a little over
a year. Others are sticky AND last a long time, but wipe out your savings account. LMAO You know how it goes.

Speaking of re tires. Did your car come with the stock re050 or whatever they were? Mine didnt so idk if those ones are good. (Stock 04 tires)

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
I don't know. I bought the car used, in 2009. There were aftermarket wheels and average, unimpressive tires
mounted at the time.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I don't know. I bought the car used, in 2009. There were aftermarket wheels and average, unimpressive tires
mounted at the time.

I guess we have to ask JJ then! He for sure has them! :lol:

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
LOL He probably has them around somewhere. Iirc, JJ is running Dunlop Star Specs.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
I heard my name, lol.

What now?

Grinder34

Track Monkey
So the Hankook V12 Evo have held up SURPRISINGLY well imo. When i first got them i wasnt totally blown away by the grip, but not disappointed either.

They're now 3 years old, with probably...4(?) track weekends on them. Each weekend is probably 8 x 20-30min sessions. They've experienced some chunking but they're still kicking and above the wear bars. They're extreme/max performance summer, so I dont dream of using them in the winter (google "glass transition temperature"). And while i do lose out on a little grip, especially in some slow speed corners vs other guys at the track,....But holy shit they're not dead yet!