New to IGOTASTI

Hgoku10

What's up everybody? Names Orlando and I have a 2007 STI Limited. Car is bone stock (performance-wise) as I have only had for it for 3 months and just not in a rush to break anything :lol:. Thought I'd take the time and get used to her first. I had an 02 Bugeye before this and Hurricane Sandy introduced me to a very nice tree :)). So now I have the Limited and couldn't be happier. For now, I have tinted the windows, fog lights, and tail lights and also installed mudflaps. I definitely plan on modding her soon. Only thing I see to do now is go for Stage 2.

IMG_20130309_133649_624.jpgIMG_20130309_133207_507.jpgIMAG0550.jpgIMAG0521.jpgIMAG0548.jpg

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Good plan to just take it easy and get use to it first. :tup: Welcome and Enjoy!

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
:tup: for suspension mods. When I first got my STi, power mods were at the top of my list. I didn't want
to listen to anyone...lol

But now, I'm convinced that sway bars are one of the best mods for the money. They are relatively cheap
and greatly enhance handling.

Hgoku10

Good plan to just take it easy and get use to it first. :tup: Welcome and Enjoy!

Thanks everybody. Yeah I actually have been thinking of getting another suspension. The Subaru performance shop that I frequent right now is running a deal on BC coilovers. A lot of the customers there have told me they have them installed as well. On my WRX I had AGX struts with Tein H-techs and that was a rather rough ride.

Do you guys have any suggestions? Something I have to consider though is not going to low. Baltimore streets aren't that smooth not to mention I have to consider the front lip getting damaged.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
I'm pretty sure there's a thread around about it, but coilovers are probably overkill unless you're really into performance or looks.

If you just want some better handling and to save a lot of money, some front/rear swaybars and endlinks are a GREAT first place to start. Even if you're doing coilovers you should do the swaybars!! From there, getting a new set of springs for the OEM struts, either stock ride height or dropped. Then maybe some new tophats/camber plates.

I'm a hypocrite though, as I did coilovers before anything else. I knew that I one day wanted to turn this car into my track monster/weekend warrior, and it made sense to buy a nice set of coilovers up front even if i didnt need them now...

Hgoku10

Thanks again for the welcomes. I had F&R whitline sway bars on my bugeye and they did wonders despite the rough ride from the agx/tein set-up. I will definitely get them again for this car.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Welcome to the team!

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Another quick thing I feel I should mention, you may already know this though.

A low ride height does not always translate into good handling. There's a sweet
spot for every car AND that can change based on other components. A good example
of that is, how when you drastically lower the car, the roll centers are then out of
geometry and handling goes all to hell (plus, undue stress is put on certain components, etc.)
That can be mitigated though by adding a roll center adjustment kit for example. That's
just one scenario, but you get the idea.

Hgoku10

Another quick thing I feel I should mention, you may already know this though.

A low ride height does not always translate into good handling. There's a sweet
spot for every car AND that can change based on other components. A good example
of that is, how when you drastically lower the car, the roll centers are then out of
geometry and handling goes all to hell (plus, undue stress is put on certain components, etc.)
That can be mitigated though by adding a roll center adjustment kit for example. That's
just one scenario, but you get the idea.

Cool I'll be sure to bring that up with the performance shop I frequent when the time comes for a suspension upgrade.