oil consumption

I'm getting and have been getting bad oil consumption. I know it is more normal for this on fully built engines, but how much usually?
short block was built by reputable engine shop.. compression and leak down info to come.. engine has 8000 miles on it or so. Using Rotella T6.. used conventional for break in.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
How much you using?

4 qts 3k miles...
I did pull the TMI this past weekend to install an oil temp gauge and it had quite a bit of oil in it.. I'm thinking catch can is needed fo sho...

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Holy crap. That sounds nutz!

Grinder34

Track Monkey
So.... If compression/leakdown is fine, then my first thought is an actual leak: Valve cover gaskets, oilpan gasket, loose oil drain plug, etc... Are you pretty sure it's not that?

But if that's not the case, do you see lots of oil in the IC or throttlebody?

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Who built it?

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
What ever the outcome, don't let them try telling you that it is normal. That is a tremendous amount of oil to be going through. It sound like you have an extreme amount of blow by. or you have a bad turbo. Essentially those are the only two things that can cause oil in the intake plenum. The question is why so much blow by or a bad turbo. That, you need to have them figure out.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Holyyyyy shittttt! I just read through this... What turbo are you running? I'd almost bet it's the turbo seals.

If it was blow-by, I would think you would start seeing misfires due to the plugs becoming ridiculously fouled.

I imagine that you haven't seen any leaking on the pavement under the car, right?

Last edited:
Stock turbo.. little leaks.. but this amount would leave puddles and I have non of that. I'll know more after doing leakdown and compression checks.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
My VF-39 back in the day, totally shit the bed. I had the infamous wastegate port crack that fucked up my ability to stay on peak boost and about a month before I replaced it, I noticed oil consumption. It accelerated rapidly and I had to add a quart before going to my tuner. We swapped the turbo there and immediately noticed the blown turbo seals. It was leaking oil like crazy. That turbo had only 37k-ish on it.

Last edited:

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
That's a lot of consumption. Any telltale smoke coming from the tailpipe?
Interested to see what's causing it.

No smoke that I can see.. a little on cold start, but it is a built motor and that is to be expected.. I wish the damn weather would clear up so I could work on this thing...

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
What two cylinders are low?

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
It looks like the two cylinders on the driver side perhaps? If I was to venture a guess I would say that the rings didn't seal properly or the ring gap was set to wide. Either way I would speak to your engine builder about it.

Yep.. Both on one side. I would think that if the rings weren't going to seat well, they would seat well all the way around. I'll be doing a leak down on that side once the rain stops. That will tell me a little bit more.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
What did the shop say about this?