Oil Pressure on start up

What's your guy's oil pressure upon start up? Mines around 6.2-6.3 bar on cold start, that's around 89.9-91.3 psi and around 2.0 bar (29 psi) when fully warmed up not moving in neutral.

When cruising depending on the gear, is around 4.0-5.0 bar (58-72 psi). When my oil temperature was hooked up, I would get close to 90*C when fully warmed up after driving 5-10 mins.

Wait to about 80*C or 180*F before revving the motor.

Just posting a rule of thumb for everyone :tup:

Edit: Update: Cruising at 60mph in 6th gives me 5.1 bar (73.9psi)

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Yours sounds good but there is no real rule of thumb... It depends on oil clearances and such. Engines built for track use using bearings with extra oil clearance will yield you less oil pressure. It also depends on what oil and/or filter you use. :tup:

The old school train of thought was 10psi for every 1000 rpm, but I hardly doubt that applies anymore to today's engines with the tight tolerances they have.

Yours sounds good but there is no real rule of thumb... It depends on oil clearances and such. Engines built for track use using bearings with extra oil clearance will yield you less oil pressure. It also depends on what oil and/or filter you use. :tup:

The old school train of thought was 10psi for every 1000 rpm, but I hardly doubt that applies anymore to today's engines with the tight tolerances they have.

Well maybe we can sort of create a "rule of thumb" for our STi's

I have a OEM block with drop in manley pistons stock bore, 2.0 JDM heads, and BC 280's, I use 10w-30 GTX now with a K&N filter.
I am switching to Amsoil 10w30 dominator with OEM Subaru filter. I'll see how this changes oil press.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
you mentioned temp, so i typically get 180 F before i rev it. On cold days that takes a while.

no pressure gauge.

you mentioned temp, so i typically get 180 F before i rev it. On cold days that takes a while.

no pressure gauge.

Good info, I usually wait till 80*C to start driving hard. Why no oil pressure gauge?

Speaking of gauges, my oil pressure & oil temp wire that hooks into the back of my Defi Link II both ripped out, so ill be needing replacement wires. Does anyone know the P/N for those specific wires? I believe its this for the oil press. http://www.rallysportdirect.com/Defi-Link-Oil-Pressure-Sensor-Wire and this one for the oil temp. http://www.ebay.com/itm/DEFI-ADVANC...URE-SENSOR-REPLACEMENT-WIRE-JDM-/131121037549 can anyone confirm this?

also found this one, has a different picture. http://www.ebay.com/itm/JDM-DEFI-LI...Parts_Accessories&hash=item20e009d73a&vxp=mtr

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Jordan at Defined carries most of these cables. He hooked me up when I broke a connector off my oil temp cable. JSCspeed also carries a lot of Defi parts.

sweet man thanks!! an update, i found the oil temp wire, it was cut when i pulled my motor lmao. so i just gotta splice and solder them and cover them with protective coating. as far as the oil press wire, that needs to be replaced still. lol

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
^ Make sure that after you repair the cut cable, you continuity check the wires. They are a pretty
small gauge and if it was cut/broken during an engine swap, it could have been stressed enough to
break the wire in other places throughout the cable. If you have someone else who can help you
do this, it'll be even easier, plus the extra person can bend the cable back and forth while you take
readings, ensuring that the wires aren't broken and making intermittent contact.

JuanSTI

my oil pressure is 80-85 cold start and 12-14 warm idle and 64-66 at 6000 warm rev
i have mobile 1 full syn 5w-30 and bosch filter