Out of my element.

its in my signature... it's called a journal. LOL. Right now the design is a compound charged setup with an VVT spooling a MUCH larger turbo. I've been considering an EFR for the large turbo. It'll change 100x by the time it's done, but it'll route out all the problems and just get more powerful as it goes on.

What is this journal you speak of? JK, compound charged huh? Spending some serious dough or what damn!

Paul.c

That is true but Evo's usually perform pretty well in competiton.;-)

EDIT: Paul, not trying to be disrespectful to you guys. We were just comparing engines between STI's and Evo's not how each car performs.

I know. I am just not impressed with power, personally. Do I want more? Yes. Is it at the top of my list? No.

BadlandsRacer

Walbros have issue with E85 or what? Would prefer to keep my Walbro because that is just one less expense.

There is Ethanol in our 91. Would be cool to see how much but it's suppose to cut down on pollution I think.

I've admittedly never seen a problem with Walbro pumps and E85. One of my friends' fuel pumps just failed, and he's been running exclusively on E85. I don't know if he has the stock or a Walbro pump, or anything about the cause of the failure, so I don't want to infer ANYTHING about Walbro pumps, they're still a great product.

The biggest draw to the DW pump to me is the additional flow.

And yeah, seeing ethanol in the 91/93 is pretty cool. My experience in the northeast (New Jersey, New York, Connecticut) after picking up my car from EFI Logics was that most 93 had between 10 and 15% ethanol (that picture of my Zeitronix gauge was taken by EFI during the tune). Around here, when 91 has ethanol, it's between 5-10%.

Sometimes I wish I'd bought the Evo, so I would still be on the stock motor and would have much less debt. :(

Good to know, unless I need more flow I'm going to stick with what I have. I'm looking at around $450 - $500 to go E85 as my car sits right now, the only problem is I really want the JDM rear bumper which will run me about $650 bucks. Looks or power, that is the question...

BadlandsRacer

I'd say looks, get the bumper. You're no slouch at almost 340whp right now, especially with a WAY higher torque number than mine (still curious how you do that on pump gas with a smaller displacement motor). If it were me, I'd say I can take my time on additional power mods and work on the looks a little.

Just $450-$500 for an E85 setup? That's around the price of a tune...what about injectors? Keep in mind, I know NOTHING about Evos.

I'd say looks, get the bumper. You're no slouch at almost 340whp right now, especially with a WAY higher torque number than mine (still curious how you do that on pump gas with a smaller displacement motor). If it were me, I'd say I can take my time on additional power mods and work on the looks a little.

Just $450-$500 for an E85 setup? That's around the price of a tune...what about injectors? Keep in mind, I know NOTHING about Evos.

No clue how I'm making so much TQ with a smaller engine, maybe the numbers are inflated a bit? I do know my tuner is the go to guy for Evo's in my area and is very reputable so I trust the numbers but I guess you never know.

I get $150 tunes for life (of the car) from my tuner, injectors should be around $350- $550 depending on size and brand. I guess I was going on the low side of it, most likely between $500 and $700 out the door. The JDM bumper is just sooooooooo sexy looking compared to the stock USDM shit we get so it's a tough choice.

gerwulf

Ha, I might be a driver mod, I piloted a buddies stock s2000 to a 14 flat in the 1/4 on the third run on bald tires lol, at a piss poor track where a 2010 SS Camaro was running slower than that.

I plan to make a few changes to my 1G, a 16G Evo III turbo, fuel pump, injectors, intake, a tune, body work, paint, and fix up the interior. It was soooooooo jacked up and riced over. It has cost me over two grand to fix a lot of the issues it had when I got it.

With a good tuner, EVOs can have more torque than HP, especially when MIVAC is tuned out right. I'll have to really look at your mod list, dyno type, etc to be able to tell if its inflated. Been learning a LOT about evos lately. Actually was working on one yesterday. 6 spd transmissions are a bitch in EVOs. Not a bad price for tunes, and realistically if your tuner is using the right base maps, it's too easy to tweak off of a base map you've tuned on a car with the same mods.

Good point with the right tune and MIVEC. I wish I had my base dyno that Mac Performance did because they did not utilize MIVEC at all. My tuner Brian Tobz told me they did a pretty shitty job of tuning it and then went on to make some really nice gains over their original "pro" tune.

The 6 speed is a bitch and it breaks easier but I wouldn't have an Evo if I had to have a 5 speed. I believe Shep has recently come out with a built 6 speed option which is good news for the peeps like me who like the extra gear.

Ha, I might be a driver mod, I piloted a buddies stock s2000 to a 14 flat in the 1/4 on the third run on bald tires lol, at a piss poor track where a 2010 SS Camaro was running slower than that.

I plan to make a few changes to my 1G, a 16G Evo III turbo, fuel pump, injectors, intake, a tune, body work, paint, and fix up the interior. It was soooooooo jacked up and riced over. It has cost me over two grand to fix a lot of the issues it had when I got it.

Driver plays a huge roll and it sounds like you can bang through the gears!

Congrats on saving the DSM from rice to nice lol.

gerwulf

yeah, from this......
P3100037.jpg

to this....
dsm029.jpg

here is a link to the resto in progress on this car
http://417racing.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=26118&start=0