Potential Causes of Overboosting

Just like the title says, what are some common causes of overboosting?

The ones I can think of off the top of my head are generally related to adding parts
without a proper tune, or a less than optimal tune.

I haven't changed one single thing on the motor/tune in a couple years, so my issue
is confusing me. I'm tuned for 19 psi and this morning, during a WOT jaunt on the
highway in 5th gear, I looked over and noticed my boost gauge reading about 23 psi.

I immediately lifted off the throttle but I didn't throw a code or notice any issues in
engine response, no noticeable knock, etc. I am running methanol, so maybe that
saved the motor. Who knows.

What could be causing this? Is it possible that my boost gauge is malfunctioning?

My tune was set for 18psi and I was overboosting to 23psi and had to switch to a low boost winter map. Have you been on the dyno this winter? Could be because of going WOT in 5th too. The meth kit probably only helps the situation. :tup:

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
I haven't been on the dyno during the winter...ever. :lol:
Before moving to Michigan for this job, I lived in the tropics for almost 7 years.

pro-tune :tup: you probably have so much hidden power!

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
This tune has done a decent job for the laat few years. I don't think I'll retune again until I drop in a built motor and some head work. If I tune for any more power right now, I might break something and I can't have that because its still my DD.

This tune has done a decent job for the laat few years. I don't think I'll retune again until I drop in a built motor and some head work. If I tune for any more power right now, I might break something and I can't have that because its still my DD.

Mine is my DD! why not man, power for the D's! lol try to keep your same power levels and your target boost, just increase response and reduce lag on the setup you have now. "Fine tune" A pro-tune for the weather climate you have now will make it a better reliable setup for the winter months. Just as Grinder said having two maps, one for winter and one for summer. I didn't have my winter map flashed on my ECU for the longest time till I noticed I hit 1.6-1.7 bar, that's 23.2-24.6psi!!!! This didn't cause any damage to my motor, and I don't even have meth. Dave @ PAS said he added the lower target boost map for winter looking ahead for me, which made me super happy.

I flashed the new map, and the car is hitting 1.2 bar ~17.4psi during WOT in 2nd-4th :tup: it peaks a little high in 5th ~1.3 a little in between 1.4 but this is normal