power difference from UEL and EL header

jjv

Is there a big power difference from UEL and EL header? Bought an EL invidia race with uppipe. Worried about sound and mighy try to sell it for UEL. big power difference?? Any suggestions?

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Tomei, I believe, did a research project a number years ago that compared an UEL header and their EL header.
Spool was the most noticable difference. Peak boost (I think it was a 35r turbo) came on almost 400 rpms faster
with the EL than the UEL. When tuned for, the UEL made 29whp over the stock exhaust manifold and the EL made
31 whp respectively. At the same time, the UEL header still sounds like a Subie and the EL sounds like an EVO or
a Honda... I have a big UEL header and up pipe on mine. I did the research before I purchased and I just couldn't
lose that boxer rumble for 3whp and a half second faster spool.
To each their own...

jjv

Yeah I didn't do to much research. I have an 11 sti catless invidia back to single exit. Just purchased a bigger top mount. 1000cc injectors . Fuel pump. Blouch dominator 1.5. Ebcs. I am afraid to lose the subaru rumble because I bought the invidia race. But if its only a few HP . I minds well try to sell it.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
No rumble for me equals no deal, irregardless of what I could gain from an EL header.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Ok, well i thought usually UEL had faster spool due to lower volume, but a higher top end due to a higher efficiency.

I have an EL ready to go on. I believe the top JDM versions all have EL.

jjv

I heard an sti tonight with the EL. honestly o think it sounds very good and I'm keeping my EL.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
I'd read (no personal experience) that some headers will add a few hp (like the KillerB). Definitely not the best bang-for-the-buck, but i was also under the impression that there was some HP to be had.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
I guess I wanted to elaborate, and ask Fuji to chime in again. I usually defer to him, since he's usually actually seen it for himself and most of my knowledge is hearsay.

finallymysti

your right on everything you said. but i was just thinking in terms of being able to make some extra power. i wasn't thinking doing that as a first thing or that it make the most power for money.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
I agree with Fuji 100%!

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Fuji, care to chime in on something else i heard about UEL vs EL headers?

With UEL i've heard (and it makes sense to me) that cyl #4 has the longest piping and due to pressure pulses it encounters from the other cylinders, it'll have the highest back pressure. I've heard it extrapolated that the higher cyl 4 pressures may have something to do with cyl #4 being the problem cylinder that usually busts a ringland first. It made sense to me, so I picked up a used GPMoto EL header for cheap, but havent put it on yet.

It's also a 1.5 scroll (i think thats the term) where it only merges right before the turbo. I've also heard that those are good, but havent had it explained why. Maybe that's a discussion for a new thread?

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
I have a Maddad V2 Header and Up Pipe installed right now (385whp/367wtq) but my goal is 450whp,
so I think I made a pretty good decision. Sounds nice. Good UEL Subie rumble. Just my $0.02.

But Fuji is right, money could be well spent elsewhere. I got a great deal on the combo, but I still could
have bought a couple of sway bars and some other goodies for that amount of money. Which are a far
better increase in overall performance than a header would be. Until you were over 400whp like Fuji said.