Power Mods

SubiSwag

I would first like to start off saying this thread can be built into the ultimate thread for STi owners looking for more power, meaning, feel free to post your set up and numbers. Please don't say you have 400+ whp with an OTS map though.

I recently purchased a Invidia cat less down pipe, a N1 Race exhaust and grimmspeed EBCS..im aware i still need accessport and an SF intake before these mods can be put on, but with cat less pro tunes are REQUIRED, so no OTS for me.. I was just curious what other "simple" mods i can do to make around 325 whp and i would also like to add i want a safe set up, my motor has 1400 miles on it currently.

Thanks in advance for the help!

leftbehind126

You could switch to an EWG (external wastegate). You'd have better spool and control, along the possibility of running more boost.

With an EWG, you'd want to get injectors and fuel pump as well. If you don't, your boost will taper a lot, and you'd be missing out on power that could have been had.

You could also get away with running the stock airbox. They stocker has been power proven, so don't feel obligated to get an aftermarket intake.

ZachTTLM

Yes for the simple mods before tuning I agree upgrade your fuel pump for sure. For what your goal is a Walbro 255lph will do great. Besure to get the entire install kit with this so that the filter gets changed with the pump. We have these available for a great price so let us know if we can help you out with this. I also recommend installing a wideband, oil pressure gauge, and boost gauge if you havent already. I know these are not power adders, but they will help you monitor your engine from harmful conditions after your modifcations are installed.

The EWG suggestion is also a good idea. Grimmspeed makes the brankets to delete the IWG as well as the Up pipes to add the EWG.

If there is anything else we can help with, please feel free to ask.

R3V

Well, what type of dyno does your tuner use? Dyno's will read many different things. I know on EFI's Dyno any high 200 car is a fast car, because their mustang dyno reads at the very low end of the scale. On a different dyno (say dynojet) I'd be well into the 300's.

For you I would suggest injectors, phenolic spacers, a turbo inlet, a boost controller, a KS Tech 73mm Intake, and a fuel pump in addition to the TBE. An EWG setup is nice for boost control and smoothing everything out but is roughly an additional $500 added on to your list.

My injectors are at 95% of duty cycle or so and my AEM CAI is holding me back from about 15whp and 30wtq. With with everything I just listed for you, and EWG, and something like a 1 piece exhaust manifold + uppipe I could easily hit 325 on EFI's mustang (heartbreaker) dyno, and probably a mountain of torque.

Here's my dyno chart for reference. Fuji seem's to think he can pull a lot more power out of it without blowing it up, but I asked for a conservative tune.

Dyno.jpg

Last edited:

R3V

For a low reading mustang, you're actually right on the money for your mods... I bet your injectors are a bigger restriction than your CAI.

Yup, I'm thinking that too. I'll be jumping straight to 1000cc injectors when I make the switch. I'll probably leave power alone for this season, I have plenty to do on the car that will take up my time and funds.