Power Steering

SleepyBear

i have noticed when i first start my car then steering wheel is hard to turn, feels like its gripping on the pavement. I have noticed this now since it is much cooler out. Power steering fluid is full, and there is no weird noises. Is it because the fluid is not warmed up?

SleepyBear

quick note: i started my car up this afternoon when it was about 60 out and had no issues with the steering wheel.

MrBear

I had a similar problem, the steering would go stiff intermittently while turning when the suspension would compress during colder temps. I verified pressure coming out of the pump were within spec everything appeared to be sealed at the time, so I flushed out the system. The situation improved some, but it would still happen occasionally. Winter came to an end before I fully resolved the problem and the issue didn't present until the next winter. During this winter I had a bearing failure on the engine after being at a winter driving HPDE. While the engine was in the process of being replaced I noticed fluid seeping from the inner tie-rod boots. Removing them showed that the seals were leaking and I replaced the rack at that time. Since replacement of the rack the problem has never come back. The only thing I could come up with was that the leaking seals were either allowing air into the system under those conditions or would drop pressure. Not to say this is your problem, but it seemed to be the fix for the issue that I had.

John

I'm not sure how you would do it at home. I've had machines for it at various shops I've worked for. Basically it would just suck it all out of the resivoir....then you fill it back up.....and repete a couple of times. Basically works the same as doing several drain and fills on an automatic trans.

SleepyBear

alright will do. thanks for all the help/advice guys!!! on another note my I/C Spray Light comes on a lot more. no clue why, i have a FMIC too and its cold out! i have the hose unhooked to the I/C pump as well.