Problem installing front struts

Grinder34

Track Monkey
I did the rears just fine. The fronts, not so much.

The bottom of the strut is pretty much hitting on the axle, and cant even be turned to align with the knuckle without tearing the cv boot at this point. If i *could* turn it the holes would probably be about 1.5"-2" offset from where they should be.

I disconnected the swaybar on the side im working on.

Heres a bad pic to show what im dealing with.

ANY ideas??! I need this done asap.

2WlzdIX.jpg

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
You need to extend the lower control arm enough to clear the strut. Use a long pry bar and in the opening in the lower control arm "See your picture left side" and use it as leverage to extend the lower control arm. That should clear the strut enough for you to connect it.

You may also meed to compress the strut with spring compressors but try to extend the suspension first.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Holy took the words right out of my mouth. :tup:

I hope you have someone around to help, otherwise it's a huge PITA.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Nobody around but me. It was a HUUUUGE pain in the ass. Especially since i have a bump wrist right now thanks to an injury.

No longer urgent, moved

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Sorry just saw the thread. Holy hit the nail on the head.

How bad did you get hurt?

Crazy. I did suspension swaps on my '11 so many times by myself, had it down to a remove and install time of about 2 hours, and this was working slow and swapping springs and tophats across the struts.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Isnt the GR a lot different than the GD?

The rears were a cakewalk for me, but the fronts not-so-much.

I think i took enough pics to make it into a how-to.

I'm not sure on the differences yet (got deployed a month or 2 after getting my '06), but looking at pics of the second set of struts I purchased and remembering what came off my '11, they look similar, but I'd have to play around with the remove and install process to say for sure. I do manhandle the shit out of parts when I work though, so some things people have difficulties with don't really bother me, it moves or it doesn't.