Question about HKS SSQV & 02 Stock BPV

Scooby STIle

Ok so, since my car was in an accident, its going to be sitting for a short period of time.

My friend absolutely loves my HKS SSQV BOV, and I've always hated it since i bought the car and it had that dreaded thing on it.
Just personal preference but i dont like the whole super loud "WHo0o0o0o0oSH" sound. Attracts too much attention from both, other drivers, as well as local PD.

So my friend and I made a deal. He has an 02 wrx, and we decided to swap my BOV for his stock bpv. I told him he can run my bov until i get my car on the streets again.
Then I got to thinking, what if i just keep his bpv and tell him to just throw some cash my way and he can keep the bov?

Can a 02 wrx stock bpv hold 20psi? [what my car is running right now]
If it can and I go through with selling my bov, what the hell is that thing worth? lol :lol:
He is a good buddy so I dont mind giving him a decent price reduction.

Im also looking into getting an aftermarket bpv.
I've gotten interested in those synchronic bov's that popped up on youtube that can also be setup to recirculate.
Anyone have that or know if those are any good? Im curious to hear some feedback on those as I dont know anyone who personally has one. Most people I talked to havnt ever even heard of one.

Sorry for the long post haha:roll:

ej2point5

My stock bpv hold 20 psi no problem but if you're looking for a aftermarket one, forge recirculating bpv is what I'm currently running. Sounds like OEM but a little louder. Recirculating BPV/BOV would be your best option, IMO.

Last edited:

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I believe the 02 BPV is the same unit. It should be fine. If it does leak you will know right away. You'll lose boost and go rich.

The synchronic BOV are great and are the only after market BOV/BPV worth a damn IMO. I had one on my 06 STI and it solved so many problems. In addition the level of adjustment far exceeds that of any BOV/BPV on the market.

The other thing I like about it is that it is designed to stay open during idle and when used as a BPV on the Subaru, it will bypass the turbo and intercooler when the throttle is closed. This shortens the plenum length and having the effect of quicker throttle response. It also eliminates the richenning effect a front mount IC causes when you open the throttle quickly. This is because when air is drawn into the engine under vacuum when the throttle is opened, there is a significant pressure drop in the IC piping. That pressure drop is seen by the ECU as a change in load. There is also an increase in delta time between when the throttle is opened and when the MAF sensor starts to see flow. These conditions combined causes the ECU to over compensate and you will see this as a quick rich, then lean condition on your wide band AFR gauge... or is it lean then rich... I forgot.

All of that is eliminated when you use a synchronic BOV/BPV. It is expensive but WELL worth the money. Check out this write up... http://www.igotasti.com/vBforum/showthread.php?216-Guide-to-BPV-s-and-BOV-s

Ok so, since my car was in an accident, its going to be sitting for a short period of time.

My friend absolutely loves my HKS SSQV BOV, and I've always hated it since i bought the car and it had that dreaded thing on it.
Just personal preference but i dont like the whole super loud "WHo0o0o0o0oSH" sound. Attracts too much attention from both, other drivers, as well as local PD.

So my friend and I made a deal. He has an 02 wrx, and we decided to swap my BOV for his stock bpv. I told him he can run my bov until i get my car on the streets again.
Then I got to thinking, what if i just keep his bpv and tell him to just throw some cash my way and he can keep the bov?

Can a 02 wrx stock bpv hold 20psi? [what my car is running right now]
If it can and I go through with selling my bov, what the hell is that thing worth? lol :lol:
He is a good buddy so I dont mind giving him a decent price reduction.

Im also looking into getting an aftermarket bpv.
I've gotten interested in those synchronic bov's that popped up on youtube that can also be setup to recirculate.
Anyone have that or know if those are any good? Im curious to hear some feedback on those as I dont know anyone who personally has one. Most people I talked to havnt ever even heard of one.

Sorry for the long post haha:roll:

Last edited: