Roof vent

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Anyone have any experience with the flip up roof vents? Do they seal properly? Any leaks with water and such?

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Good question! I want to know as well. I've always wanted a Spec-C roof vent,
but they are super expensive and it looks like a difficult DIY.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
I don't think I could ever cut into my roof.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
The install looks simple enough.... scary but simple. Lol
The more I dig the less inclined I am. They seem prone to leaks and I can see why as they remind me if those add- on pop up sunroofs that leak like granny with incontinence.

Guess I'm answering my own question. Lol

There's a beautiful little thread on DirtyImpreza about these ($45 Roof Vent or something like that, just google it). As long as you do the install right you shouldn't have leaks, which means that you need to caulk it.

Yep. Read the entire thread, now. Guess I shouldn't have given up on it so soon? lol

Yeah, lol, that's how a lot of the older threads get over there. People come and go, or they just delete or move pics, but then others will have been kind enough to make another and add it in.

Oh, PS, if you want the vents, they're on sale till the end of the month. I ordered 2 of the 8 3/4" wide Aluminum ones, just will have to figure out my install plan when I get back.

Oh, FYI for anyone interested, I may be interested in selling the second roof vent I bought. No real need for two since I'm not planning on putting on one both sides or both ends, just one in the front-center of the roof.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Hmmm...I might have to take a look at that thread and get back to you on that. I've always wanted
a roof vent.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
How much do they go for?

They have them selling for ~$35 HERE, so I guess make me an offer if you're interested, it may fit in a flat-rate box (dimensions are ~5" W, 10.25" L, 5" T).

They have them selling for ~$35 HERE (normally ~$50), so I guess make me an offer if you're interested, it may fit in a flat-rate box (dimensions are ~5" W, 10.25" L, 5" T).

CapeCrusader

I have seen my friends install a set of roof vents and the process is fairly easy. One of the most important aspects is adding caulk to provide a good seal and a steady hand when cutting the roof.

WesternSTi

The Music Man
I dug a little bit on this Mod...and the deeper I dug, the less I wanted to do it. After about 10 minutes of looking stuff up, the mod never entered my mind again. Lol.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Yeah it definitely makes you cringe! :lol:

Lol, totally worthwhile though, no matter the scariness of it. I can definitely add a suggestion after a while of use; use better quality sealant (like E-6000) as the silicone caulk I used definitely started breaking down from the heat here and I had a few leak points during the storms last week. Took off the scoop and scraped out all the old caulk, cleaned up and used the last of my E-6000 to seal it back up and cover the rivet heads; all good now.