severe oil leak

35r

When you rebuild, STAY AWAY from Manley Pistons. Manley Rods are okay to use, but the pistons are only SLIGHTLY better than stock. I have personally grenaded them, as well as several other guys that i know. Go with Weisco or CP.

Last edited:

Paul.Shipp

When you rebuild, STAY AWAY from Manley Pistons. Manley Rods are okay to use, but the pistons are only SLIGHTLY better than stock. I have personally grenaded them, as well as several other guys that i know. Go with Weisco or CP.

since im doing a rebuild should i replace the crank main bearings and rod bearings, while im at it and if im using same rods and crank is it safe to just replace bearings and not machine the crank or anything if just replacing the bearings?

35r

I wouldn't use stock anything. While you have it apart spend the little extra money and do everything properly. That means all your internals. Pistons, rods, bearings, ARP head studs, ARP case bolts... Make that fucker bullet proof. Send your heads out to be checked, possibly upgrade cams, valves/springs/retainers... If you leave cheap shit in there, you will be tearing it down again.

Paul.Shipp

I wouldn't use stock anything. While you have it apart spend the little extra money and do everything properly. That means all your internals. Pistons, rods, bearings, ARP head studs, ARP case bolts... Make that fucker bullet proof. Send your heads out to be checked, possibly upgrade cams, valves/springs/retainers... If you leave cheap shit in there, you will be tearing it down again.

well then the only issue would be the cash flow for all those parts, so essentially the best thing is to rebuild from the crank out? but to do it cheaply and efficiantly enough to make it last till im able to do a complete upgrade what would be the best route

Paul.Shipp

just wanted to say thank you all for the help, i have found the problem and now she has to sit till i get the money for the new engine. so again thank you for all the ideas and info on everything