severe oil leak

Paul.Shipp

i have a 2005 wrx sti. i have oil going through my intercooler and pipes, along with most of my vacuum lines have oil in them, i currently have the turbo out of the car in order to check for oil in the turbo, on the intake side looks almost spotless. i have been putting roughly a qt- 1.5 qts/wk in. im trying not to have to take it to a shop and pay for diag to be done (i know it be faster but cant afford it) i know the oil is making it out of the exhaust, due to the exhaust smoke having a blue tint. is there any other way that much oil can be consumed?

pictures at photobucket
http://s1372.photobucket.com/user/paulshipp/library/?sort=3&page=1

Alter3go

U check all fluid reservoirs yet for oil? Such as the radiator. Also was your car leaving spots/stains on the ground from oil?

35r

If the rings are bad, collapsed or broke oil will seep past them into the exhaust tract and also pressurize the crank case and push more oil through the pcv system. Compression test it.

Alter3go

all fluids clean no oil in coolant.

Alright since it's only in the intercooler that you know of...hopefully it didn't go to many other places and that you caught it early. also there's none in the reservoirs I'd compression test then. I bet one of the cylinders rings is slightly cracked. It'll save u mad loot in the long run if you get it done now.

As [MENTION=1069]35r[/MENTION] mentioned a compression test will really help tell the health of your motor and diagnose the ringlands. My guess is either ringlands or blown turbo. With that much oil, hopefully it's just the turbo as it's a cheaper fix.

Is there any shaft play in the turbo?

35r

As [MENTION=1069]35r[/MENTION] mentioned a compression test will really help tell the health of your motor and diagnose the ringlands. My guess is either ringlands or blown turbo. With that much oil, hopefully it's just the turbo as it's a cheaper fix.

Is there any shaft play in the turbo?

Exactly my thoughts.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Is it just me, or can you guys see a crack in the hotside at the wastegate port?

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
I agree. That's the most reasonable explanation of that amount of oil in the IC piping.

35r

Still do compression test. All of the symptoms are the same. There is no harm in doing it, and it will confirm or rule out ringland failure.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Still do compression test. All of the symptoms are the same. There is no harm in doing it, and it will confirm or rule out ringland failure.

I completely agree! :tup:

Just got back from vacation. I suspect its ringland or something PCV related. I ran into this.

I had the exact SAME problem. Found low compression on #2 when it reared its ugly head. I though it was the PCV and turbo so they were replaced. Then i got a check engine light for cyl 2. P0302.... The thing is a smoke machine now. Still drives. Just a little rough. lol

35r

It wont drive for long if you keep using it. You will destroy the whole motor instead of just needing a good cleaning and a piston swap.

Paul.Shipp

Just got back from vacation. I suspect its ringland or something PCV related. I ran into this.

I had the exact SAME problem. Found low compression on #2 when it reared its ugly head. I though it was the PCV and turbo so they were replaced. Then i got a check engine light for cyl 2. P0302.... The thing is a smoke machine now. Still drives. Just a little rough. lol

alright compression test was completed 2 days ago. 3 cylinders were at 120psi and 4th cylinder was at 80 psi. front driver side piston was the one on 80psi, so unfortunatly i got the bad news of rings being shot :(

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Oh man.... Sorry to hear this... :tdown: