Speed density, stalling out, sick of it.

STI 2NR

Well, you solved a 2 year tuning headache for me. I found the engine load filter set at 1.05% and the injector values you gave me did the trick. I purposely sat in my garage and tried to get the motor to stall for 15 minutes, it was not happening with those values.

I am a man of my word so please give me your paypal address so I can send you your well earned 50 bucks.

Thanks again!

Sean

Td_d

Commander In Chief
Bingo, I knew it.

I'm not surprised it was dumping raw fuel at a value of 5. The scale is between 0 and 1 - so 5 is actually 500% and would give massively erroneous results to the ECU! Keep it at 1, within the parameters of the algorithm. It basically takes the current value, multiplies it by the filter, and then multiplies the previous value by 1-filter. So 1 basically means no filtering. This type of filtering is used extensively with many parameters in the ecu (basically smoothing out the data). What's interesting is that it can also be done mechanically - think double mass flywheel in a diesel.

Glad you got sorted out - it's a huge pain, I know, I had it on my GR when I switch to SD - that's why I went trawling for this parameter.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Great job Td_d. :)

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Very nice job indeed. I need to learn more about this so expect some questions! :lol:

STI 2NR

Eh, not quite - I may be able to dig into the guts of the ecu, but I still haven't built an engine by hand, or have the mechanical acuity that you have.

Oren, you are the go to man for ecu logistics though. This problem was plaguing me ever since I made the mistake of having a dyno tune done before I knew better. I gladly donate money to better our open source cause. Thanks for the patches on Merps page as well. Do you have any other add ons for my ecu I can cut and paste in the xml file??

I actually lowered the engine load filter to 1.02% and it still will not stall out unless my lack of driving skills/new clutch/self built motor cause it (mostly stopping on hills). Got all of my fuel trims back in spec by lowering it to this value. Thanks again for your hard work!

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Sean become a premium member. ;)

I think we earned your trust. Plus you get some cool gear.

Td_d

Commander In Chief
Oren, you are the go to man for ecu logistics though. This problem was plaguing me ever since I made the mistake of having a dyno tune done before I knew better. I gladly donate money to better our open source cause. Thanks for the patches on Merps page as well. Do you have any other add ons for my ecu I can cut and paste in the xml file??

I actually lowered the engine load filter to 1.02% and it still will not stall out unless my lack of driving skills/new clutch/self built motor cause it (mostly stopping on hills). Got all of my fuel trims back in spec by lowering it to this value. Thanks again for your hard work!
Thanks for the vote of confidence. Drop that value to 1.00 - 1.02 is outside of the thresholds of the algorithm (between 0 and 1) - it's not a percentage per se, but a smoothing factor between 0 and 1.

There's plenty more definitions for your rom, I've actually started pulling stuff out (force of habit I guess!). I can get the definition to be identical to what's available on the AP - to name a few:

- hot start and post start enrichment
- knock sensor scaling, filters, thresholds
- idle stability
- Idle airflow adders
- Requested throttle idle tables
- Initial load and airflow tables
- Rear O2 sensor compensation limits and AF3 limits (to disable the effect of rear O2 sensor removal)
- Fuel pump duty tables and high / medium switch over tables
- Cruise / Non-cruise switch over tables (if the rom has cruise/non-cruise logic)
- Misfire DTC and MAP thresholds
- Tau tables (not available on COBB) - basically enrichment / leaning tables that deal with rapid load deltas
- Minimum IPW
- Min / Max timing
- TPS related fuel adders
- Overrun fueling
- Overrun ignition timing
- Cruise control limits
- Cruise control requested torque tables (not available on COBB)
- CPC based multiplier
- Front O2 current smoothing table (not available on COBB) - useful when relocating O2, turbo
- Engine load limit B increase (above the 4 limit due to the uint16 table) - not available on COBB

STI 2NR

Holy crap that is a lot of extras!! It runs so good right now I do not want to mess with it!!

With that being said can you cut and paste all of that to a notepad document and then I can cut and paste it into my rom???

If it is too much work, don't worry about it Oren. :)

Td_d

Commander In Chief
Well, I've defined only a couple of them, will take me a good number of hours to track down all of them. But no problem - as and when I have time, I can disassemble the locations, and define them for you.

STI 2NR

I just reflashed the map with 1.00% engine load filter and it still runs great, no stalling. Thanks for that tip. :)

STI 2NR

Okay Oren, I have another issue to tackle and perhaps you could assist with that and we can document that here as well.

I drove up to the Big Northwest Subaru show today and noticed that my boost gauge would read normal (20-24 psi at peak boost) but my map sensor data would only read up to 18.43 psi. It would do this everytime I would try to WOT and the actual boost was over that amount.

I am running a 3 bar gm sensor and I have it scaled correctly (you can check the previous map I gave you). Prior to my motor build it read all the way to 24 psi no problem (this was also on full speed density).

Bad map sensor?? Something in my recent maps making this "capped limit" happen??

Thoughts??

Td_d

Commander In Chief
Let me guess - you're logging the SSM parameter Manifold Relative Pressure (MRP) P25 right? Quite a number of the SSM parameters are capped (by nature of being converted to 16 bit or 8 bit values). You need to log the MRP direct (4 byte) extended parameter.

STI 2NR

Let me guess - you're logging the SSM parameter Manifold Relative Pressure (MRP) P25 right? Quite a number of the SSM parameters are capped (by nature of being converted to 16 bit or 8 bit values). You need to log the MRP direct (4 byte) extended parameter.

Dang dude I knew you would have the answer!!!! Thanks again! :)