Sti is down - no power and a bad ticking noise when im driving

ok guys I need your help because im at a loss with this issue. it started with my bad battery in my car. it constantly would die even when I just took my foot off the clutch to sit at a dead stop or even when downshifting to 1st. my car died out all the way so I left it sitting and went and got a new battery. well that got it started right up and I let it run for about 10-15 mins before I drove off. also when I went to crank it up I heard a bad knock but it stopped as soon as it was idling so I don't think it internal in the motor. soon as I started to take off and leave again it died out about 3 times and I know its not my battery or the connections and grounds I checked all of those. when I finally got it cranked and got going I lost all my power all together and hear a really bad tickin or like clicking noise and then I pulled over and cut it off and it wouldn't start back up at all so I had to call a tow truck. now I have replaced the factory turbo when it blew out the turbo seals about 2 months ago and when I did this I fmic swapped it cuz the whole kit was pretty decent priced. im also running a cobb intake and accessport V3 and a full greddy exhaust. still the stock uppipe though cuz the previous owner didn't replace it. help me please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:shock::oops::tard:

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
First thing you need to do is a compression test.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
How many miles on it? The timing belt could have skipped a few teeth and if that is the case you are shit out of luck and are going to spend a shit ton of money to fix it.

Where does it sound like the noise is coming from? Also, as JJ suggests, a compression test is recommended.

Last edited:
I second the compression test, sounds like what happened to my buddy before.

capaz04

Kept dying... you probably need a new alternator. I second the timing belt theory as well. It doesn't sound like you have 1 issue going on