Subaru Powertrain Warranty Review

DierwulfBL

Nope, tech forgot his company gas card and I dropped it off on E, so hes got a card and gonna get some gas and take it home today. On a side note the 2012 2.0i CVT wagon they gave me isnt completely terribly for an econobox (as opposed to a "tarted up econobox" :lol:). Engine feels better than my ej22 in my OBS but not as nice as the 2.5s (d/sohc). Here's hoping i get somewhere tomorrow...

DierwulfBL

Another Update, surprise surprise the tech couldnt feel any issues. I went in on Saturday to talk to the service manager but they werent there so I talked to some other lady. She called the guy he said hed give me a call yesterday to discuss how to proceed further. I offered up to the lady they do a leakdown and compression and if it comes back within 7psi on cyl3 i'll eat the cost, otherwise they eat the cost. I think that's why they wanted to talk on Monday, but they never called. Just called them and supposed to get a call back. All in all I'm not too upset as I put 500 miles on their 1200 mile loaner car and this car gets better gas mileage and is much nicer than my beater 97 OBS :lol:. So really they can drag their feet as long as they wish but their loaner is gonna have 10k if they bojangle too long lol.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
"...couldn't feel any issues..." ????

You're way more patient than I am. Then again, my work over the last 8 years has been very technical,
which is why I would be choking someone if they didn't show me the compression spec AND perform the
test to specifications, providing me the results.

As a "technician" as I'm sure they call themselves, I don't try to 'feel' for proper gear movement or electrical
power. (well, I have touched low voltage wires instead of getting a meter, to see which one was hot, but
that's another story :rofl:) I get a piece of calibrated test equipment, take the reading, record it and
compare it to a written, currently dated specification and report the damn results!!! So either, he and I don't
follow the same guidelines as a technician (i.e. he's incompetent), or he's intentionally hiding something.

End of rant.

Sorry to hear they are dragging their feet :roll:

DierwulfBL

I'm speechless. I really am speechless. Just got a call from the service advisor they said they did the compression test and "checked the heads" (leakdown test?) and they said the following numbers:

cyl 1 - 145
cyl 2 - 145
cyl 3 - 132
cyl 4 - 145

They said Subaru said its good to go! 13psi difference from the average of the other 3, wtf. I'm still confused how this passes?

f350cummins

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot? Is there a regional guy, that is over the head of the guy in the shop, that you could possibly talk to?

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
^ This is why, if it was me, I'd be saying...

"SHOW ME THE SPEC, ON PAPER, BLACK AND WHITE!"

DierwulfBL

Yea, at this point it's nothing the dealer can do. So it looks like I need to call up the SoA rep and ask to see the spec in writing or atleast talk to them as this should be a WELL documented issue amongst these cars on the factory tune by now

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Well at the very least you have the evidence on paper and them saying it is okay. When it does pop you have more of a recourse.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
:idea: Run around for a few hours at WOT on the stock tune with just the downpipe on the car. You'll probably boost spike + boost creep
and pop a few ringlands :rofl:

...bolt everything back up and limp it to the stealership. That oughta do it! :lmao:

Grinder34

Track Monkey
As said above....Get the spec in writing, and talk to the SoA rep.

Squeaky wheel gets the grease.

DierwulfBL

It actually says on the work order that the difference in psi was deemed to be OUT OF SPECIFICATION but that the (some 4 letter acronym for prolly some person at SoA) had decided the best route at this time was to put the customers car back together and send them on their way. Just like Holy said, atleast now it's documented so when it does let go there shouldnt be any hassle. The wait is gonna suck tho :(

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Um, what?!

If it's out of specification, it's out of specification. I get all justice-y (not really a word) on shit like this. I would get all up in their face,because of how ridiculous that is: THEY ADMITTED IT WAS NOT AS IT SHOULD BE, but they just don't care enough.

I mean, if you wanna wait a while to get a new motor, by all means sit on it...it's a good "get out of jail free" card, but I think i'd be a bit more proactive.

DierwulfBL

Yes, I do indeed plan to be more proactive, I'm gonna call and see if I can get that persons name and number tomorrow so I can see what the deal is. In a business sense I do suppose I see why they would do this. Look at it this way. At this point in time the VERY best thing subaru could do to go above and beyond would be to just put a new OEM shortblock in it. They could skimp and do just a piston but that may bite them later for more money lost on warranty work. So they say go, keep driving to people with a well known problem. It gives them an extra 3k+ miles and 1+ months for the same cost as once it's worse itll definitely need a new shortblock. I think it's only a matter of time so I'm just gonna keep driving it but not too far from the area lol

f350cummins

I would be refusing to take the car until it is fixed. Especially since it is out of spec, and has been admitted out of spec. I would not leave the dealer with the car until its fixed. I mean it is plain and simple, its out of spec, something is not right, fix it,

(I have to do a lot of driving for work sometimes 100 miles 1 way commutes as I work both in the field, and from an office, so I NEED reliable)

DierwulfBL

Already took the car back yesterday. I'm also in the process of moving to my new house so I have quite a bit of patience for this kind of thing since im so busy. I'm also toying with the idea of just building my spare shortblock i have in the garage and throwing that in, which would require more money but WAY less of a headache and end up with something that this wont happen to as easily.

f350cummins

I would build up the spare shortblock, blow the engine in it, let them replace it, get it home and throw the built shortblock in, having a brand new engine sitting right there.

DierwulfBL

Yea, at this point I just want a car I spent big bucks for be to all in spec lol, it's just good to have a backup plan in place for when someone decides to take you to pound town

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
The real miracle would be if you popped the motor AND convinced the service manager to replace
it under warranty and drop in some forged internals (that you'd purchase beforehand of course) rather
than that shitty cast crap.

I know.....never gonna happen. I can dream though, right? ;)