suggestions turbo header etc

jjv

I have an 11sti ..invidia catless turbo back cobb intake . Turbosmart bov. Stage twp tune from the accessport. I wanted todo header ,upipe, injectors, bigger intake, bigger turbo, fuel pump e85 tune... Would that be alright todo??? Any suggestions on brands anything??? I need some advice I'm new to this.. names Justin BTW..

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Justin what are your goals for your :sti:?

jjv

I'm not really sure. I dont wanto tear the whole motor apart . Just lookin to get some more horsepower. Don't wanto blow up my motor or tranny.. maybe 350-400awhp would be nice. Like I said its all new to me.. Haha

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Do you have a budget in mind?

When you start getting to 400 awhp its a whole new ball game that may require building the engine to take the extra power. But in the mean time we need to know budget, spool, fuel (ethanol, methanol, 91 or 93, etc...) and all that stuff!

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
^ +1

To reach your goal all you really need are Fuel Pump, Injectors and a 20G turbo and a TMIC upgrade. Anything else is unnecessary IMO. An up-pipe will hurt your performance in most cases except in big turbo, big cam applications. You already have the down pipe and the intake and the aforementioned stuff combined with E85 and 19psi boost will net you between 350 and 400 eezypeezy :tup:

ZachTTLM

DeatschWerks DW65C Fuel pump, Blouch 20G, Torque Solution TMIC, also would suggest a GrimmSpeed EBCS.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
I wanted todo header ,upipe, injectors, bigger intake, bigger turbo, fuel pump e85 tune... Would that be alright todo??? Any suggestions on brands anything???

As we've said, there are a lot of different ways to get to the same place. For 350 awhp you dont need to go too crazy.

header: you have the UEL vs EL debate...its kind of a toss-up, and probably not necessary for your goals. If you wanted to do one anyways, I'd suggest maybe the Grimmspeed ported OEM pieces. They're cost effective and give reasonable gains. For a money-no-object solution i'd recommend the KillerB EL solution. Its pricey, but quite nice.

UpPipe...lots of options here. I've heard some of the people i trust advise against ones with flex sections, citing failures.

Injectors is a biggie. Look at a previous discussion here (link) for more info about brands. For size...you'll need to tell us if you wanna go e85 or stick to pump gas, but i imagine 850-1000cc should work for you.

Intake: not necessary. The stock intake is actually pretty good! Until you start getting to really large HP numbers, i'd throw a K&N filter in and call it a day (and save some money). If you are going to change it, i'd recommend the Cobb. Apparently it's got some tech in there to help smooth the airflow before the MAF that'll make things easier and smoother for you and your tuner

Bigger turbo: You dont need to go crazy here. You can probably get there on the stock turbo, but a small upgrade like the 20gxtr or 1.5xtr will definitely get you there.

Fuel Pump: Definitely! The stock one is pretty much at its limits at stage 2. There are lots of options here too. The industry standard is the Walbro, but its rather noisy. There are also Deatchwerks 200, 300 and 65c (depending on what year you have). Then there's aeromotive and a few others. I went with the DW200...its cheapish and should be good enough for what i plan to throw at it.

Intercooler: (you didnt mention this one) is not really necessary. If you do decide to upgrade stick with TMIC. You dont need the FMIC and a FMIC makes power later, reduces spool, etc... Personally i upgraded my GD intercooler for GR one. If you're already a GR there are some very nice ones you can get...but you really dont *need*.

EBCS: not really necessary per-se, but always a good upgrade. From what i've read most of the 3-ports are all the same, so pick one or find a good deal and go with that!

This goes without saying, but i'll say it anyways, make sure you get a tune with all your new goodies!

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Definitely some sound advice in this thread.

I was going to go the turbo route but hesitated and decided to try the E85 first. Figured if I didn't like it then I could at the turbo and retune and only be out another tuning cost.
Dropped in some 1000cc ID's, Grimmspeed EBCS and DW65c pump. Put out about 330/380 to the wheels which translates to about 410/480 at the crank. (Cobb's Dyno) Which is about 100 more ponies and 130 lbft of torque, to the wheels, than stock and about 60 hp and 80 lbft over an OTS stage 2 map. Corvette territory, sans driveline loss.
The car is simply amazing on corn and the protune is night and day over stock or OTS. made me fall in love with it again and is very streetable.
The VF48 turbo (stock turbo we have) is actually a pretty good little beast and can sing given a good tune.

What I am getting at is that a good tune and some good fuel and you might think twice about bigger turbos and still would be in line with an acceptable progression to a larger turbo. It definitely holds my power monster at bay... for now lol

jjv

okay thank you everyone...i think i pretty much know what i need to get thanks to everyone. this forum is definelty awesome. but i do have a couple more questions that blouch 20g turbo sayin that it only calibrates to 19psi and theres another one that to 15psi? and im not sure if i should get the 8cm or 10cm. is that the right turbo or should i get a bigger or stay with the blouch 20?? i noticed that everyone keeps sayin get the tmic insted of the fmic? in my opinion wouldnt u wanto get the front mount cuz it would be a lot cooler cuz its not by the motor? it isnt always around the heat and its always getting air?

jjv

Now why is that bloche 20g turbo some saying 15psi and some 19psi and im getting 19.5 with my.stock turbo??

jjv

And you talk about turbo lag with the fmic..how much? Wouldn't you want the front mount exp if your going with the bigger turbo perse as with heat??????

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Now why is that bloche 20g turbo some saying 15psi and some 19psi and im getting 19.5 with my.stock turbo??

This does not refer to the actual output of the turbo. They are only referring to the mechanical waste gate pressure. The tuner determines how much the turbo will put out...

The way it works is it combines both legacy mechanical control with the factory electronic control. The electronic control can manipulate pressure to the waste gate to open later to allow more pressure than the actual rating of the waste gate. If something goes wrong you want the turbo to revert to a lower boost as a fail safe... So go with the lower pressure waste gate.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
The thing with FMIC's and smaller turbos is that most, if not all, of the after market units are just to big for the smaller stock turbos which is where the myth that all FMIC's are more laggy than a TMIC...

If you can have a custom core made with custom piping then you will see little to no lag and all the benefits. It's all about matching the piping and core to the task. With smaller piping and core you can see spool that rivals any TMIC.

But good luck finding a premade kit like this. Custom kits are super expensive and have to be fabricated. You might as well do an AWIC at that point.

jjv

Well I personally thought if I bought the fmic for my car it would match up and fit but if i have to make my own piping ans tubing I don't wanto do that nor cutting or trimming. Maybe I will just stick and gdt the bigger top mount.

jjv

And as you say i minds well run with the lower psi turbo if I can always fall back on the 15psi incase something stupid happens. unless u think i should run with the 19lbs

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
The fmic kits will fit no problem... my point is only that they are not designed to run with the stock turbo... so if you really wanted to you can still use an fmic.

Definately go with the 15 psi waste gate.