Suspension Creak Issue.

Yandow06

For a while now I've been hearing a creaking/squeaky noise coming from the rear end while I'm driving. Recently It has gotten a lot more annoying. I'm almost positive it is the struts but it could be something else. The suspension isn't knocking or bottoming out. I've got stock suspension and about 90,000 miles on it. I know this can be a common problem for the STi and I don't feel like changing out my suspension right now. So if anyone knows how to alleviate this or has any ideas it would be most helpful.

Thanks.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
I thought the 04 STi's only had that problem. Does it clunk or creak?

Yandow06

It doesn't clunk more like a squeaky duck kind of or styrofaom rubbing against each other. Gets super annoying if I dont have the radio turned up. It does it at certain times which is wiered, but when it starts it doesn't stop untill I stop the car. I'm thinking I need to grease them.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
the struts could be bad but they will most likely clunk (not ruling it out though)... do the bounce test... do you have any aftermarket bushings? like rear swaybar and swaybar bushings... those will creak... it is natural for them to do so...

This is what I was thinking... It is not uncommon for the stock ones to creek as well. It is rather simple to remove them and grease them.