Suspension question 2004/Stock suspension

Grinder34

Track Monkey
I haven't heard very many compliments for Tein or Apexi for the STI. I know some honda guys that love them, but they arent very concerned with much other than looks and name.

For that price i would investigate the Feal or the Fortune i suppose. I have 0 experience with any of the 4 above brands, so from me it's all hearsay.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
I love my Feal coilovers.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
I haven't heard very many compliments for Tein or Apexi for the STI. I know some honda guys that love them, but they arent very concerned with much other than looks and name.

For that price i would investigate the Feal or the Fortune i suppose. I have 0 experience with any of the 4 above brands, so from me it's all hearsay.

Agreed with Grinder.

Those two seem to be more well received in other communities. Seems the Subaru crowd stays away from them... the Tein especially.
My research has led to hear that the Tein will knock your teeth out they are so stiff.

Coilover impressions are subjective. What one man likes the other might not. And you get what you pay for.

Grinder stated you'll either have to follow or be a pioneer. Either way you'll have to gamble a bit.

Airpig

Very surprised to hear no one said what the real point of a coilovers is and that's not for a better ride, ride height adjustment nor an alternative to stock struts and springs when you don't track it. It's for corner weighting. I have BC coilovers and would recommend them buuuut. I broke an axle due to them...or should I say because of my adjustments. WTF do you ask? I broke the left rear cage inside my cv during a launch. I talked to Adam at LIC and he said it's due to my axle not being aligned with the ground. That's the problem with lowered cars. That being said he recommended stock struts or KYB cartridges with a reputable lowering spring for the street. So I musta make a very important point. Coilovers aren't for ride height. They are for corner weighting and preloading for better turn in. You put the car on a set of scales to determine where you basically want the most pressure for either straight line stability or turn in.

Next point is you need to get the highest quality set that will fit your area you live in or a compromise between that and the track. There is better coilovers used for rally that has a greater travel which is why the stock struts are so valued. Anti seize is your best friend when it comes to coilovers to by the way and don't be stingy with it. I'd recommend buying the same coilovers as I got as long as your roads are fairly nice. They are 9k in front and 6 in the rear and no boingy type effect. It cost me $1050 two years ago from Josh Nahm at import Image Racimg and they have rebound and dampening adjustment but the single knob. They have been flawless and wicked at the PDX roadcourse. If you have crap for roads kyb's and either kw springs or eibachs are hard to beat. Replace your bushings with a urethane and upgrade your end links. Then tackle the sway's to get a better turn in and fight body roll. Sorry for the book but I trust Adam from LIC and have experience in this. By the way. I'm buying just springs for my Saab 92x for I need better travel. Going with kw's for the record. Good luck but don't get junk like Godspeed....for I had them and they are junk. Go BC if you want to save money. They have a warranty where you send them your coilovers back and replace them with new for $200.

Last edited: