taillights acting up

War_Panda04

STill Plays With Toys!
im posting this in urgent help because what my tail lights are doing could get me a ticket. it looks as if i have a light out but the other side isn't supposed to be on

07 STi with 04-05 tail lights.
i made this picture to help me explain:
image1 (3).JPG

the "JDM mod" was done on these taillights before i bought them so the CIRCLE is the only light that should be on for the tail light. (foot off brake) and the TRIANGLE lights up when the brake is applied and the CIRCLE gets brighter. the SQUARE light does nothing at all which i'm fine with i don't want the square light to come on at all.

as of a few days ago the CIRCLE still is on for tail light and gets brighter for brake but the TRIANGLE does the same (lights up for tail light and gets brighter for brake) but ONLY ON THE DRIVER SIDE passenger side does as stated before.

i replaced the TRIANGLE bulb on driver side and the bulb was blown out i thought the filament was just grounding to the other one but its still doing it with the new bulb. i imagine is a wiring issue but idk where to begin to find that. i should also note that all lights go off when the switch and car are off this only happens when i turn the lights on.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Uggghhh...this is going to be a pain in the dick. First, do you have a multimeter to take resistance measurements with?

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
I've never dealt with this before, but if it was me, I'd remove both tail lights and make myself a drawing of all the connectors on the tail light side and on the other side...idk right now where the other end of the connector is, but I'd imagine the cables probably hook up in the trunk somewhere.

Look around in here... http://igotasti.com/vBforum/forumdisplay.php/255-Member-Resources ...for a wiring diagram if necessary.

After you have everything disconnected (LABEL EVERYTHING that you are unsure of!) continuity test each connector, pin to pin, until you find a discrepancy unless there is obvious physical damage to any of the cables. Even then, this will probably only get you so far. Why some would be brighter than they should be is beyond me. I understand electronics, but not how the car's lights are wired up.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
If two connectors are too far apart to reach with the test probes on the multimeter, you can use a paperclip to jumper two pins on one connector together and then use your probes on the other end of the cable to complete the measurement. If the multimeter probes are too fat to fit in some of the pin sockets, straighten out a paperclip, insert it into the connector and then use the probes.

Lmk if you need a better description.

War_Panda04

STill Plays With Toys!
the only issue im having is that the TRIANGLE light is on as a tail light when it shouldnt be. it should only turn on as a brake light and turn off when the pedal is released. the whole assembly unplugs right in the trunk directly behind the housing behind the carpet.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Sorry for the delay, got busy at work. After rereading your initial write-up, I'm not really sure which direction to go unless the wires for your circle and triangle bulbs are shorted together.

War_Panda04

STill Plays With Toys!
thats what im thinking as well. when i replaced the bulb about 3 hours ago i didnt notice an obvious wire issue since the connector for the main taillight harness is right there but i also wasnt looking for one so i might have missed it.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
You can determine if wires are shorted together with a multimeter. If you need further instruction (idk if you are electrically savvy or not) I can help you later tonight. I have class for a few hours after work.

War_Panda04

STill Plays With Toys!
my buddy will prob come help me since its his multimeter i would be using. hes a chrysler tech but wiring is wiring you know. hopefully we can get this resolved i really dont want to get pulled over for this. my car is a cop magnet as it is. (tints, 5" tailpipe, etc.)

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Okay. He will probably know what's up. Either way, if you have problems, shoot me a text. I will PM you my number.

To clarify what I was saying before:

Imagine a cable with a 9-pin connector at each end. Lets say this cable is 20 feet long and your multimeter probes are only 3 feet long. You can't reach both ends, so you do this instead ----> You want to test each wire for continuity, so instead of putting one test lead on Pin #1 and the other test lead on Pin #1 at the other end of the cable (because they can't reach), you jumper Pin #1 and Pin #2 together at one end of the cable with a paperclip. Now, you can put your test leads on Pin #1 and Pin #2 of the opposite connector. Current will flow from one test lead, down the wire for Pin #1 , go through the paperclip to Pin #2 and follow that wire back to the other test lead. If both wires are okay, then you will read zero ohms (or nearly zero).

Does this make sense?

War_Panda04

STill Plays With Toys!
I guess both bulbs had a filament out because i switched the nee bulb over to the passenger side just to check and now that one came on so i guess they were supposed to be on the whole time and were just burnt out... I dont want the triangle bulb to be on for tail light anyway to fix that?

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
I'm sure there is, but without a wiring diagram, the only way to figure it out would be a ton of trial and error....which would probably require quite a bit of cable harness chopping. Idk if you really want to get into that. Your call.

War_Panda04

STill Plays With Toys!
Im going over to chrysler today where my buddy works he has access to alldata im sure that has a wiring diagram

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
There may be a diagram available at the link in my post on page 1 of this thread. I'd dig through it, but I'm swamped at work right now (and probably will be for the foreseeable future).