Talk about BOV's here

Stiyle11sedan

I used to run a turbosmart but after the spring became compressed and the whole BOV failed during a roadtrip (almost leaving me stranded) I went another direction and never looked back.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
When does a BOV become necessary? Ive read all this talk about them being horrible. Just when you exceed ~20PSI?

After about 20 or so psi of boost is about when I would consider an after market BPV... A BOV should never be necessary unless you are going blow through MAF or speed density or running a very large high flowing turbo. Other than that I would stay away from a BOV

We have this writeup... it will answer all your questions. :tup:

http://www.igotasti.com/vBforum/showthread.php?216-Guide-to-BPV-s-and-BOV-s

Last edited:

microsnook

I think you posted about my turbo upgrade Fuji

Yes, I do like the sound of a BOV, but Im not going to put it in if its going to dull my performance!

My thoughts were, upgrade to a bigger turbo, possibly get away with a BOV :D

Sounds like I should keep the stocker?

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I had an HKS SSQ for a while JUST because of the sound. :lol: Even though everyone said it was rice and it wouldn't work, I did everything in my power to make it work and set out to prove everyone wrong. LOL

Robert Viehweger

Daily Driver
This is sad, but I dont' remember what Scott did on mine, if he left the stock one or the aftermarket one.. lol. I'll have to ask. I trust him with my car waaaay too much. I don't even question what he does to it. He could be all :rambo:. :tard:

Edit.. we left it stock. It's been no issues at all, not like you can hear anything over the EWG, anyway. lol

Last edited:

Vermont

Hopefully I am not going to sound to much like a ricer/n00b but I seriously want some help with this. I have been looking for a BOV that makes a certain sound. The best way to describe the sound be like a giant angry pigeon on crack.... As stupid as this sounds that is what I want... Kinda of a "whoooddooodooodooo" here are a few videos of what I mean:
The supra drifting in this video. It says it is the Greddy Type R bov but I listened to a few other videos and none of them make this sound. I have heard that this is compressor surge but then why would the Prodrive P2 have it straight from the factor? Also the Noble M600 makes the same sound. (at least in the Top Gear Italy Road trip)

Also the Prodrive P2 here. Jeremy says it is the waste gate making the sound but that makes no sense as you only hear the sound when he lets off the throttle, not when he is boosting... (skip to 01:10 for what I mean)

I honestly will do anything to get this fucking sound. I have wanted this since I first got my STI back in 09 and haven't been able to find what causes this sound.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
When you figure it out please let me know!

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
That is the waste gate making that noise... There is residual pressure in the exhaust that is being bled off through the waste gate and that is what causes the noise. The Supra video is a prime example of that. @ 22 sec, when he is on the gas and hitting the rev limiter, you can hear it then also. A BOV does not operate WOT under any circumstance. Only when you shut the throttle body. Not all of them make that noise though. Some more than others.

**EDIT** Actually I am hearing both a BOV and a waste gate. The BOV is the wooshwootwootwoot... The waste gate is as described above... I think the TopGear video is a BOV if i'm not mistaken.

I think the ultimate sound is when you combine both the waste gate and the HKS SSQV as demonstrated in this video beginning @ 3.17 min... On the Rally STi listen for both the sneeze noise from the waste gate and the whistle from the SSQV when he lifts. Its a little hard to distinguish the two because they happen at almost the same time but they are two very distinct sounds.

If you routed your dump tube back into the exhaust you might hear it more. Also believe it or not the SSQV is a very capable BOV in it's own right... I think it just got a bad rap because or the ricer market. I like that it is two stage which helps to minimize the effects if a MAF setup.

Last edited:

Vermont

That is the waste gate making that noise... There is residual pressure in the exhaust that is being bled off through the waste gate and that is what causes the noise. The Supra video is a prime example of that. @ 22 sec, when he is on the gas and hitting the rev limiter, you can hear it then also. A BOV does not operate WOT under any circumstance. Only when you shut the throttle body. Not all of them make that noise though. Some more than others.

**EDIT** Actually I am hearing both a BOV and a waste gate. The BOV is the wooshwootwootwoot... The waste gate is as described above... I think the TopGear video is a BOV if i'm not mistaken.

I think the ultimate sound is when you combine both the waste gate and the HKS SSQV as demonstrated in this video beginning @ 3.17 min... On the Rally STi listen for both the sneeze noise from the waste gate and the whistle from the SSQV when he lifts. Its a little hard to distinguish the two because they happen at almost the same time but they are two very distinct sounds.

If you routed your dump tube back into the exhaust you might hear it more. Also believe it or not the SSQV is a very capable BOV in it's own right... I think it just got a bad rap because or the ricer market. I like that it is two stage which helps to minimize the effects if a MAF setup.

I do have the Waste gate routed back into my DP now, still do not get that sound. Now I can hear my BPV when I let off the throttle under any boost and it is actually quite loud, at least in the cabin (I think this is due to my CAI). I do know that compressor surge can cause the same noise but is there any way to make the noise with out causing harm to the turbo and loss of power?

I have been reading that if the spring on the BOV is not adjusted properly then it will cause this sound as well. Also I am getting no noise what so ever from my EWG. Even under full throttle lift off I get nothing. Which is why I wonder if the EWG is what causes this. I think I can safely say that the EWG is not the cause of this noise, if so then I should be able to hear it with the windows down or up, instead the only thing I can hear is the BPV.

Also in the supra video he is getting the noise when ever he lifts off as well as hits the red line and the throttle partially closes. Which is what makes me believe it is the BOV as under partial throttle and low boost the EWG would never open to allow any gases to go through it, only when the correct PSI is reached will it open.

Also check it this thread if you already haven't it is right down your alley way of expertise since you used to own a Synchronic. http://www.iwsti.com/forums/2-5-lit...nchronic-diverter-valve-review-pic-heavy.html

Vermont

2 words, anti-lag!!!!

Lol, no thank you have extensive research I found out just how bad that is for your turbo and exhaust manifolds. Even our stock heavy duty headers wouldn't last long under the pressures and heat of an explosion basically happening in them.

Also I am the type of idiot who would use it every where just to scare pedestrians.... :tard:

microsnook

Lol, no thank you have extensive research I found out just how bad that is for your turbo and exhaust manifolds. Even our stock heavy duty headers wouldn't last long under the pressures and heat of an explosion basically happening in them.

Also I am the type of idiot who would use it every where just to scare pedestrians.... :tard:

What exactly are you saying kills the stock manifold?

Trying to keep up haha