Talk about BOV's here

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I do have the Waste gate routed back into my DP now, still do not get that sound. Now I can hear my BPV when I let off the throttle under any boost and it is actually quite loud, at least in the cabin (I think this is due to my CAI). I do know that compressor surge can cause the same noise but is there any way to make the noise with out causing harm to the turbo and loss of power?

I have been reading that if the spring on the BOV is not adjusted properly then it will cause this sound as well. Also I am getting no noise what so ever from my EWG. Even under full throttle lift off I get nothing. Which is why I wonder if the EWG is what causes this. I think I can safely say that the EWG is not the cause of this noise, if so then I should be able to hear it with the windows down or up, instead the only thing I can hear is the BPV.

Also in the supra video he is getting the noise when ever he lifts off as well as hits the red line and the throttle partially closes. Which is what makes me believe it is the BOV as under partial throttle and low boost the EWG would never open to allow any gases to go through it, only when the correct PSI is reached will it open.

Also check it this thread if you already haven't it is right down your alley way of expertise since you used to own a Synchronic. http://www.iwsti.com/forums/2-5-lit...nchronic-diverter-valve-review-pic-heavy.html

Well again, not all waste gates will make that noise. And as mentioned there are two distinct sounds that I am hearing in both the Supra video and the one I posted. One is the waste gate and the flutter is the BOV. In the video I posted you don't hear a flutter which indicates a properly adjusted BOV IMO. The sound that I am referring to is a fairly quick higher pitched (TCHIUFffffff) That's the best way I can represent it in words :lol:

I believe that the Supra's flutter noise is actually surge and is caused by a maladjusted BOV. The way to adjust a BOV is to bring it to the verge of surge and then back it off just a little bit till there is none. In some higher performance applications some surge is desired. On another note my friends STi with a GT40R has no BOV but the turbo has surge ports. It makes this same sound.

Also with the supra video, at the spot in the video I am referring, the throttle is not shutting because fuel cut doesn't change the throttle position in a DBW throttle body. When fuel cut happens the engine loses load and thereby boost. The gate operates in rapid succession as the engine re-enables fuel and then off again. Also I highly doubt that he or anyone else would have the kind of throttle control that is necessary to make this happen. Response from the throttle just isn't that good regardless of actual input. There can be quite a large delay from actual input to actual effect.

Last edited:

Vermont

Ok that makes much more sense as to why i hear that flutter type sound, it also looks like i wont be able to get that on my sti with out causing harm to the motor. So either a ported shroud on the turbo or a poorly adjusted bov. Do you think there would be a way to make that sound using an aftermarket bov and some type of adapter on the air outlet? The waste gate while some may make that noise my tial does not and i would rather not take a step down as far as engine critical parts. Also you know of any bov that has a very deep and loud "whooosh" instead of the more higher pitched "tcheuftt" tpe sound?

In what type of situation or application would compressor surge be desired? As my under standing of compressor surge is that it is the being forced back through the turbo causong it to back spin.

Also your explanation of the supra fuel cut makes complete sense. So in theory would it be possible for the bov to open if you go from wot to say %50 very rapidly but not off completely and there by reducing the load drastically?

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Ok that makes much more sense as to why i hear that flutter type sound, it also looks like i wont be able to get that on my sti with out causing harm to the motor. So either a ported shroud on the turbo or a poorly adjusted bov. Do you think there would be a way to make that sound using an aftermarket bov and some type of adapter on the air outlet? The waste gate while some may make that noise my tial does not and i would rather not take a step down as far as engine critical parts. Also you know of any bov that has a very deep and loud "whooosh" instead of the more higher pitched "tcheuftt" tpe sound?

In what type of situation or application would compressor surge be desired? As my under standing of compressor surge is that it is the being forced back through the turbo causong it to back spin.

Also your explanation of the supra fuel cut makes complete sense. So in theory would it be possible for the bov to open if you go from wot to say P very rapidly but not off completely and there by reducing the load drastically?

The only one I know of with a deeper sound is the big piston type BOV. I think turboSX and/or Tial make them. It's the one shown in this video comparing the synchronic to the piston type.

Yes it will open during any situation that will cause pressure to build between the throttle plate and the turbo. This usually happens when there is a negative change in throttle angle. Essentially the BOV will operate anytime there is a vacuum in the intake manifold after the throttle body and pressure in the charge piping before the throttle body OR any time there is a negative pressure delta between the intake manifold and the charge piping.

Vermont

Well I was looking at getting one up-until this after noon when I went to go home.... Not going to have the money now, as I am looking at a blown motor on my DD (85 celica) has intermittent rod knock and miss fires like crazy under partial throttle. SO now I need to save up for an engine swap...

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Well I was looking at getting one up-until this after noon when I went to go home.... Not going to have the money now, as I am looking at a blown motor on my DD (85 celica) has intermittent rod knock and miss fires like crazy under partial throttle. SO now I need to save up for an engine swap...

2JZ !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vermont

Way to expensive to get working. I am looking into tossing in a 7M-GE or 5M-GE both are relatively easy to find doner cars for the swap, as I would pop in a new rear end, tranny, and engine all at once. The 5M-GE comes out of the Mark II supra (80s) which shares the same exact floor plan as the Celica from those years so will be super easy to swap as everything bolts right up. Right now this is what I am considering but who knows, as on the flip side for that same kinda money I could buy a new fucking car.... Or even build the Celica motor... IDK right now... I am kicking my self for not putting oil in the car early last week....

Grinder34

Track Monkey
You drove it without oil again??

How much are you looking at for the cheapest engine swap? Dont forget to factor in the price of an ebay turbo upgrade! :twisted:

Vermont

You drove it without oil again??

How much are you looking at for the cheapest engine swap? Dont forget to factor in the price of an ebay turbo upgrade! :twisted:

week before last all of my oil had kinda leaked out through the rear main seal. I left it for too long and it developed a banging/clanging/knocking sound from the engine, along with at partial throttle (like 5%-10% throttle) the car jerks and miss fires a bit. I have a couple of ideas on what it might be but I usually always for the worst so if it's better I am pleasantly surprised. If the motor is indeed dead then I think instead of the swap, I am going to build it back up for boost (should be able to do that for under a thousand) then put on a cheap ebay turbo something of like a GT30 in size. That way I will still have my low down daily driving power and when I want High rpm crazy boost. So over all looking at around $2500 if the engine is toast for a rebuild/turbo build. Which sucks as this puts my plans for my STI on hold. No AWIC for the time being or track days.... Engine swap will cost me about the same and net me less fun... So I am going with the turbo instead.

Vermont

Inconel header and gamma-ti wheel in a ceramic triple ball bearing turbo! I want anti-lag so much...

Inconel is hard as fuck to work with though due to how tough it is and heat resistant. I don't think even a gamma-ti would survive for long..... Then again the idiot over in the middle east who made is turbo glow purple from holding down the anti-lag just for fun, claimed that he was still driving on that same turbo....

I thought they were working on anti-lag for the 64bit ECU's over on RR....

Td_d

Commander In Chief
64bit? ;)

Yes, Merp is testing spark cut anti-lag as we speak. I sure as fuck ain't testing :D

Vermont

64bit? ;)

Yes, Merp is testing spark cut anti-lag as we speak. I sure as fuck ain't testing :D

-_-

Fuck you... Long day....

Problem with anti-lag is I am more worried about the harm to the engine.... I can't imagine this is good for the exhaust valves....

Td_d

Commander In Chief
FYI, from Merp:

Yep, keeping my fingers crossed to get some spark cut testing in this weekend. Once I have the ability to cut spark (X from Y), adding features like anti-lag and rotational idle should be straightforward.

Vermont

I want rotational idle just to make my car sound cool..... if i had a built engne capablr of handling the heat and pressures of anti lag i would use it. But with a stock motor you are just asking for trouble. I also highly doubt that any set of headers besides the killer bee 321 steel would stand up to it for long. Still an awesome function that puts the open source world one more step above cobb! :)

Td_d

Commander In Chief
Sounds awesome, and works well (you should check out some of the Carberry vids, damn...) - I would be way too shitscared to use it with out heavy duty headers. It's seriously strenuous on many parts, not least of all the turbo.

But the sound... :D

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
I know, I know...I'm bringing this thread back from the dead.

It seems no one has mentioned a Blow-Thru MAF Configuration. I have been running a Blow-Thru MAF for about 4 years now. This allows me to run a full VTA BOV with no ill effects as the boost is dumped before being metered by the MAF. Originally, I configured the flanges on the OEM BPV to work in this VTA config, but I have since upgraded to a Synapse Engineering - Synchronic BOV.

I love it. The valve response is great AND it's looouuuddd....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Pictures? Videos? :tup:

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
:lol: You know how loud it is, you've been in the Batmobile, Alin! I will have to see if I can find some pictures of the setup, or I'll have to take some later this week.

Last edited: