TK-421's 4B11T Evo X GSR

TK-421

Well here goes nothing, Cat is out of the bag now!

Many of you know that I decided to sell my STi.

Why you maybe asking yourself?

Welp for starters, I was dis-satisfied with the level of engineering that went into the GV sedan's. I feel that the older GD platform was a much more solid car. The interior plastics felt better, the seating position was better. The dash was not as cluttered and had a downward slope, unlike the GR/GV chassis where it just felt like there was a wall infront of you.

Now don't get me wrong! I liked the car, it handled well, it definitely had an aggressive look with the widebody stance.

Another important reason I need to touch on is the fact that I owned 3 cars. And for those who don't know what they are, A 1996 RX-7 FD3S twin turbo, 2005 Evo 8 MR Edition and my daily which is a 1999 Lexus RX300. All of those along with my STi, things were getting a little crowded and I was essentially paying on a car that I NEVER drove.

So after much thought and debate, I decided to sell the STi and my 05 Evo 8 both.

Ha for a while the running joke and rumor was that I was planning on getting a GTR, honestly I had thought about it, but when I saw how much and knowing I would void the warranty from day one, it just wasn't worth it to me.

So the Evo sold instantly, car didn't last a week on autotrader.

The STi got a lot of attention, but nobody serious, just a bunch of young kids and tire kickers.

So I knew what I wanted as a replacement car, so I made the decision to bite the bullet and return the STi to stock and trade it in at a dealership over Christmas while I was visiting my mother, which is where the car was stored.

Took some of the money from the sale of the Evo 8 to cover the difference from the STi trade and went down to a local dealership down the road from my mother's place and picked my self up a......

2015 Mercury Grey Evo X GSR
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422195415.158033.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422195428.894488.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422195448.555765.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422195461.506431.jpg

Please excuse the shitty picture quality, was taken outside a friends house with a iPhone.

Yes I bought a brand new Evo.

Now some of you are screaming at the screen yelling traitor! That's your opinion and that's fine!

I work with Evo's, STi's, other Subaru's, Mazda's, and other tuner cars.

I know the limits of most and what most are capable of in factory form.

I thought long and hard about it and I've personally tuned a handful of Evo X's and know exactly what they are capable of.

Now as it is winter time, and I spend my winter months away from the northern snow/salt/corrosion. This car only has 305 miles on it. Hasn't even been broken in yet! Sitting in a heated garage locked away waiting for me to return in March.

So because I haven't had the chance to drive it much, I can't give an accurate comparison to what this car feels like stock compared to the STi when it was stock. But rest assured I will give a full length report.

Some immediate differences compared to the Subaru other than the engine and drivetrain being completely different is:

Evo GSR has halogen headlights with non projector lenses
STi has HID headlights with adjustability and projector lenses

Evo GSR has some of the best steering response I've ever felt in a car, very reminiscent to a Porsche 911 to or BMW M3 to be honest. Not too heavy, but not too light.
STi had good handling, but the steering felt as if it had a dead spot to it.

Evo GSR has a larger turbocharger, 10.5cm hot side with a 18g compressor wheel. The stock Evo turbo is efficient to about 28psi after that it runs out of puff
STi turbo was much more lethargic than the Evo, smaller, had good low end punch, but fell on its face in the higher Rpms.

The Evo likes to have its engine wound out, happy in the higher rpm range.
STi loves that mid range.

Yes it's true the 2015 Evo does NOT have the recaro seats. They have the seats that are in the Ralliart. Though not recaro's they are still much more supportive than STi seats.

One of my favorite things about an Evo compared to an STi when it comes to the interior is the steering wheel, the Evo wheel is just a better feel, and is much smaller.

So what are my plans? As of right now, I'd just like to get the engine broken in, and more than likely I'll probably go the Cobb staged route with bolt ons and of course my own pro tune.

Eventually I'll probably get it to the 450 to 500 mark and call it quits. Because after that you need to do cams and engine internals, and with the Evo X's 4B11T being a chain driven engine now it's a bit of a PITA to drop cams in now.

Stay tuned for more updates this spring and summer. And for those who will be coming to my garage this year for work, you'll see plenty of it.

Does this mean that I'm done with igotasti? Not at all, I still really like Subaru's and maybe in the future funds permitting, I might pick up another GD!

I also do enjoy helping everyone out on here when and where I can. Pending free time that I have. So even though I do not personally own a subaru anymore I can still provide very valuable help and information to you all.

More pictures of the Evo and its mods will come starting in April. As I will be moving back up to the Outskirts of the Pittsburgh Metro area come the end of March.

Till then TK-421 signing off.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
We want better pics in your first post when you get a chance.

Subscribed :tup:

TK-421

We want better pics in your first post when you get a chance.

Subscribed :tup:

Gonna have to wait till march my friend, I'm still debating on whether or not I'm gonna be "that guy" and take it to Boxerfest or whether or not I'm gonna drive the lexus and be a "support" Vehicle

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
All cars are welcome at boxerfest. Youre taking the evo!

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Then youre taking the rx7! :lol:

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I was that guy and took my 240 to last big AWD event. :tard:

KittenzNRainboz

Nice!!! I fell in love with the Evo :) I drove a friend's stock one on the track and it was heaven on wheels. Only ever drove Miatas and RX-8s. :p Then I got to drive a buddy's NON stock evo and it was FAST.

KittenzNRainboz

That was a very poor synopsis, as I don't speak Evo and know nothing about them :/ I just know they were both a friggin blast to drive and further prompted me to buy my STi :)

TK-421

I was that guy and took my 240 to last big AWD event. :tard:

I wanna be the dude who takes the minivan that says "support vehicle" on the back window and wear my "You can't park next to us" t shirt while sitting in a lawn chair drinking bud light and cat calling every girl that walks infront of my van

TK-421

That was a very poor synopsis, as I don't speak Evo and know nothing about them :/ I just know they were both a friggin blast to drive and further prompted me to buy my STi :)

Haha that's alright, at least you got to experience it! Most Evo owners I know don't let other folks drive their cars. Some of them can be real.....particular haha

KittenzNRainboz

Haha that's alright, at least you got to experience it! Most Evo owners I know don't let other folks drive their cars. Some of them can be real.....particular haha

Well, they know I'm competent and had a lot of "track" time, so they trusted me. But the guy with the beast is VERY particular haha, it was an HONOR to drive his car, let me put it that way.

TK-421

Well, they know I'm competent and had a lot of "track" time, so they trusted me. But the guy with the beast is VERY particular haha, it was an HONOR to drive his car, let me put it that way.

Well that's very admirable that you take the initiative to get out on the track and get some real time behind the wheel. You should go for your NASA licensing!

SudoSTI

Jealous! I'd still like to finish my current project and swap to an Evo X. I've always wanted an Evo but for some reason keep ending up with Subarus... Interested to see what you do.

KittenzNRainboz

Awesome. I'm only just now considerING an SCCA membership since we live so close to events now in Middle GA. Definately worth the money and experience.