Total Noob Here!!!

UndrWrldAssasin

Brand new to IGOTSTi.com and to the tuning realm. Looking to have a great time getting to know people and learning the diverse world of my up and coming machine. I am currently enlisted in the military stationed at Fort Bragg. I just got back from my second tour to Iraq and closed it out. When I got home I contacted a guy selling an '07 STi. I thought it was a BS post at first till I actually say the car myself. There is not a dent or ding in the car. Its completely stock and had less then 13k on it. I couldnt believe it when i saw it. But I quickly made the purchase and have fallen in love with her. I will be starting to modify her after I return from christmas leave. If any one has suggestions as to what a good start off would be with mods hit me up and let me know what you think. Ill post pictures of my beauty when I get home.

ZachTTLM

Welcome to the group and congrats on your purchase!

For mods to start with, I recommend Downpipe (Invidia w/ 2 Bungs), catback exhaust so many options here depends on what you want on noise. , Cobb AccessPORT, Upgraded shifter bushings. This is a start for sure not exactly sure where you want to go with the car but those are your basic steps that make a nice difference. let us know if there is anything we can help you with.

Enjoy your time here at IGOTASTI :)

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
:welcome: to the team. Glad you could join us.

Start with a Cobb Accessport. Best bang for the buck. :)

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Welcome and enjoy! :tup:

Check out the member's journals and feel free to start your own! :D

UndrWrldAssasin

I want a nice purrr at idol and throughout acceleration but i dont want it to be obnoxiously loud. I have had alot of guys I talk to around town suggest invidia as well. I have been looking around the market and listening to sound clips on youtube trying to find something that would work for me. I have heard a few just waiting to hear back from the person about what they have as far as the exhaust.

How much does the access port cost?

I'm thinking since I will be using it as a daily drive (to and from work and errands) I'm probably going to try for 400 WHP and 300-350 Torque. (suggestions welcomed)

UndrWrldAssasin

Do you know if there is a (as gay as this sounds) Subie hangout spot or get together in town? I would like to meet other subie enthusiasts and get their input and advice as well.

Also do you know any on here?

UndrWrldAssasin

Accessports are usually $595.

I'm not a fan of the subie scene in town. Mostly because of the fanboys that try to start drama when you disagree with them. There's a large divide in the Subaru community around here and honestly you're walking into a veritable hornets nest. Not going to fully explain the situation on here and bring the drama. I'm going to remain a bystander with that one.

My suggestion for exhaust sounds is to listen around and research thoroughly before buying anything. Saving up and taking it slowly is the best method.

Finally, what makes you say "I want 400whp and 350 wtq on pump gas"

The 400/350 wasnt in all a serious statement Fujiwara. It was more of an opening to get an insite as to somethings that I would have to do in the future IF I wanted to get to that point. Im not going to be a rookie that makes the stupid mistake and builds a machine that I'm scared of. I would rather build it gradually and find the point where I enjoy her to the utmost. In all seriousness Im probably going to try and stay around the 300/300 region. I know that 400 whp is a ways away from what I'm at right now but I like to look at the long haul. But like I previously said Ill probably settle at 300/300.

I will research everything that I can come across before I buy my final items. Just because everything works well together if you have a turboback exhaust from the downpipe to muffler doesnt mean that its going to be what I want. I respect your input and will deliberate long and hard before I make a purchase.

Sorry I didnt mean to get you rilled up or anything like that. Apologies...

Last edited:

ZachTTLM

Far as a great sounding exhaust I like the invidia downpipe with the HKS hi-power catback. This gives a great sound without getting too loud, ( I know this will bring up the statment there is no such thing as too loud from some people) but there is...lol.. PM me for pricing somethings I can not publicly advertise certian prices/discounts.

jswansti

Welcome to the forum!

The difference between attaining 400 & 300 whp is huge for our cars. Like fuji said, 300 whp is pretty easily achieved with the mods he listed and a stock turbo/block. My 06 currently has 306whp 340 wtq on the stock turbo/block. Just did a turboback exhaust, fuel pump, 850cc injectors, and a pro-tune on E85 with an accessport. The tune will make or break your car.

As far as exhaust goes, I absolutely love my COBB tbe. Its nice and throaty with that boxer rumble, but not overly loud by any means. I did tons of searching for parts, reading reviews and talking to vendors/shops/enthusiasts before I did my tune. Best or luck!

Td_d

Commander In Chief
Welcome! And don't worry about riling anybody up in here - drama free zone, guaranteed. And in any case, we keep Fuji in check with 4loko and scraps of food :D

I'd agree with Fuji on the goal setting - get a sense for how you want the car to feel, and plan from there. Do you want a fast daily driver? An absolute road ripper? Track beast? All different approaches.

From personal experience, to safely go past 400wkw, you will need to rebuild the engine. Even for just safety at that level, forged pistons are advised.

There's plenty knowledgeable people on here, none of which will give you grief for asking any questions (otherwise we as the mods give them grief!). Fire away! And read, read and read some more. Tons to learn.

fallenone121

On Vacation
I would definately suggest cobb...it allows for alot of option from there for tuning and all...

That would be one of the first things I would suggest.

Much of it all depends on a plan on what you intend to do with the car.

I myself have an 06 STI and my goal is 400 based on my previous car being a 94 Pontiac Firebird Formula with a 350 V8...it is what I am comfortable with.

Only reason I am not keeping the Formula is because I live in MI and there is white stuff here that it cannot handle - thus rocking the STI. :)

The best advice I have seen is "Weed out the problems and replace what is weakest first."

Welcome to the site.

Ryanveld

I had a Cobb ap and sold it. Out here in Utah we have some good tuners that do it open source. I don't want to start an argument about whats better. It's just better for me. And a cheaper option than an Ap. as far as starting mods. Always keep in mind the more air/fuel in and out of the engine the more power you can get. Also the colder that air the more dense it is and also more power. This is a very basic example. Just keep that in the back of your mind when building. I agree with the above people. Get a down pipe and cat back exhaust. I am a big fan of Aps parts because they are hard to find and not a lot of people have them. Well not like Cobb parts anyways. So I have an Aps turbo back and I love the sound. Not too loud but sounds strong. I also recommend down the road a hard turbo inlet, tgv deletes and phenolic spacers. You'll want to do those together. And I am also a big fan of used parts. A lot of my parts are used.

Anyways my $.02.

STimedic

Half the parts on my car are used....used turboback, used turbo, used injectors, 06 tails, etc. Hell, I got a donor STi for a swap for $5k. There are certain parts that are best new....like gaskets. Otherwise, look around there's plenty to choose from! Welcome to the forum!