Variable geometry turbo "VGT" implementation on an sti.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Well that isn't that bad of a price. Atleast you know its done right now. Gotta pay to play my friend.

Last edited:

Bluedemon_II

They increased the flow of the coldside from 65 lb/min to about 80 lb/min. That upgrade + rebuild would have been 800 if I hadnt done other stuff or had problems. Seems reasonable to me. :shrug:

80lb/min ? Wtf... dam man that is very ... well its you really. Lol.

Any news on a viable method to control the vanes with out fraying the control unit? Also could you document if the holset needs water and oil fittings, I need thread sizes etc. We need to ad them to the adaptation post "when the time comes"

Bluedemon_II

Dam it all. Every turbo that I see on ebay, the seller wants about 200 bucks worth of shipping. Balls.

Going to see if I can scourge one locally.

STimedic

Preferably one that will hold up to the power/tq of that bad boy.... :p Any more word on a functioning controller yet from the Honeywell folk?

Bluedemon_II

19 would work for fujis insane engine ideas. I will get back to this project soon, with my boosted 383 sbc :tard:. Funny thing is that its going into a Jeep Cj5 box "Double :tard:" Fun times.

Bluedemon_II

For those that are interested in this project, it did not die. There is a mechanical way to control the vgt on the turbo. It will not be optimal but it has the capabilitie to produce large power with little lag compared to equally sized up turbos "Gt-35+". For the moment I will be adapting this to an other project since I no longer have an Sti for wild mods "for the moment". Nearest project is a old school sbc v8. Only electronics on this engine will be the coilpack and the msd box.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I think I mentioned it to you Fugi but you may be interested as well Blue... I was playing around with the AEM and noticed user adjustable options for stepper motors and options for PWM. Either of which could be adapted to suit the VGT control.

I know you are seeking a mechanical solution but I figured I would mention it here if anyone else would like to play around as well.

These parameters can be controlled by any of the input parameters like Load and MAP but more importantly they receive feedback from any parameter as well. AEM originally implemented this feature into their ECU's to accommodate the TGV on the Subaru but I see no reason why this can't be adapted to controlling a VGT. Hell if someone is savvy enough to change the programing I don't see why the stock ECU can't do the same thing using the TGV circuit.

Td_d

Commander In Chief
Fuji - you might be interested in this then: http://www.romraider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=7680 - the knowledgeable peeps are moving on from disassembly to actual writing of code for the stock ECU (like a lot of Phatron's work on the Evo's). This is a simulator to test out code - why not construct the tables and logic (assuming you can code assembly)?

Bluedemon_II

Actually I never considered TGV control to be able to actuate the Vgt. I need to open up Aempro and see wich paramters affect the tgv signal. Hell You could use the tgv motors with a linkage to make this work. They should have enogh torque to hold the vanes in position. Dam, the urge to thinker and no car to do it in... Blah.

"Sorry for the bad spelling"

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Actually I never considered TGV control to be able to actuate the Vgt. I need to open up Aempro and see wich paramters affect the tgv signal. Hell You could use the tgv motors with a linkage to make this work. They should have enogh torque to hold the vanes in position. Dam, the urge to thinker and no car to do it in... Blah.

"Sorry for the bad spelling"

In AEM Pro it is in the "Setup" > "Advanced Setup" menu under "DC/Stepper Motor Control" I believe this feature was put there specifically for the Subaru and the TGV or so I read somewhere. But it can be completely customized.