want input on a good exhaust setup for the sti

ej25subie05

hoping this is the right section.

in the last few weeks my exhaust tone has been getting the best of me. Yes I'm young and love the noise around town but when crusing it just plain out sucks.

my setup right now is this below

agency power unequal length headers, grimmspeed ewg up pipe, perrin catted down pipe with cobbs CBE (no resonator).

i was looking at this right here but thats a lot of money just for a muffler

friend how a muffler with a flap that is controlled by the exhaust flow. on crusing speeds sounds just like a stock subaru if not better. but on idle sounds like crap since its muffled. WOT sounds great...

so I'm just curious any one out there find a good solution to help with some exhaust tone? would love one that is controllable but ill be able to live if its not.

also looking to quiet down the ewg external dump. looking at the super trap disc muffler. any one on here run one?

i am not being a baby about my car making too much noise or the such. i love the rumble. but when your going to be doing a lot of 6 hour drives on highway its going to get old quick, the ewg is just too much cop attention around town. so looking for something to bring DB's down a bit :)

looking forward to what your guys setups are. Cops in VA are annoying another reason i need to quiet it down a bit.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
You might just live on YouTube for awhile. Level of noise is going to be subjective to the individual so it's really gonna be hard to take opinions.
Spt is quieter and maddad I think makes a lower toned muffler.
The flapper sounds cool. There are also cutouts you can make. These are controlled manually or by electric actuator.
A resonator will help with noise, as well.
I have read that ewg can be used with small mufflers successfully or you could just plumb it back into the DP.

ej25subie05

the cutouts can be put inside my exhaust pipe?

but really want to know what every one runs and thinks its pretty quiet. i have owned my share of exhausts some pretty loud, agency power, greddy, borla, cobb, perrin, invidia, and more. but i wanna know secrets what one does to make it enjoyable. mines to the point inside when you shut car off your jaw feels much better lol.

you can't even talk to the dude or girl beside you without screaming or getting all up in there face lol

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I might try routing the EWG back into the down pipe. Any exhaust shop should be able to do that for you. As for exhaust systems that are quite, I only have experience with the loud one as I am a fan of very loud Subies.

You may want to do a search for "Jasma certified exhaust" on google or ebay. It is a Japanese Government certification where manufacturers have to adhere to strict sound level laws plus meet a certain level of performance and quality. They are super expensive brand new, but you can probably find one used for a good price... Used you say? A used Jasma certified exhaust is better than even the best new exhaust sold in the US.

I managed to find a SUPER rare veilside exhaust system for my 240 that is Jasma Certified. It is 15 years old and looks like it was made yesterday and only cost me $400. The thing is built like a brick shit house and looks like it should be the loudest thing on earth, but you can barely hear the thing yet it maintains a nice tone and is very free flowing for turbo applications.

Again I ramble :tard:

ej25subie05

and again you are the man!!! i will look into it. don't get me wrong i love loud subies too, but i will be living in south carolina starting end of this month and will be doing a lot of high way driving back to va every now and then. 6 hours with a loud exhaust gets old.

That's pretty nice, I mainly delt with invidia's products on various cars and been pleased with theirs. Better to hear it in person, recordings do no absolute justice.

and again you are the man!!! i will look into it. don't get me wrong i love loud subies too, but i will be living in south carolina starting end of this month and will be doing a lot of high way driving back to va every now and then. 6 hours with a loud exhaust gets old.
Good things for you is SC doesn't have shit for vehicle requirements lol. I run the q300 on my GD and absolutely love it. It is very mild mannered in low rpm and highway driving, but when the foot hits the floor she screams a beautiful note.... along with the ewg lol.

Feel free to stop my Charlotte on your way down to SC and take a listen.

ej25subie05

i drive right through charlotte, so when I'm not in a hurry ill hit you up and maybe grab some grub or something and listen to your exhaust lol

ej25subie05

well boys and girls, i purchased a super trap disc type muffler straight from Chris at killer b :) neighbor hooked me up with one (he welds for Chris). so i will let y'all know how it sounds.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
A video is a must now. :tup: :D

Try and get a before and after if you can, with the sound. I've been looking into the supertrapps for a while.

Although, holy did put a damn good drivable tune on my car, so the ewg isn't screaming all the time.

ej25subie05

will have to use a go pro for a video :) and well enough road as this car seems to love anything over 100mph haha did i say 100 i meant 50 :)

its a lot quieter now with more boost doesn't scream like something.... screaming lol

ill try to get a few fly by and a few in car.