what happens when coolant boils?

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
It's bad... We kinda need more information because there are so many reasons why the coolant could boil.

First off coolant has a higher boiling point than straight water. So it is boiling way past the normal boiling point of water which is 212*f. Second when it boils the transfer of heat from the surrounding block breaks down because the liquid is significantly aerated and heat saturated. Much of the heat produced by the engine will stay in the engine.

My question is why is it boiling?

finallymysti

its not boiling. I was just thinking that since water or coolant can't really hold more heat once it boils, why is it bad if the coolant boils as long as you still have flow. and its not pure vapor

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
its not boiling. I was just thinking that since water or coolant can't really hold more heat once it boils, why is it bad if the coolant boils as long as you still have flow. and its not pure vapor

Just as Holy said, you cant draw heat from the engine when the coolant is boiling, regardless of flow. That's what coolant does, draws the heat from the engine. Once the coolant becomes saturated with heat and can't draw anymore, the physicAL temps of the engine will climb.

Funny thng is, water is better at cooling than coolant/antifreeze. Antifreeze just raises the boiling point and lowers the freezing point of water (basically) like adding salt to water, the salt raises and lowers boiling/freezing points.

finallymysti

I understand it now. thanks guys. if you don't mind, for a track vehichle that is driven to and from the track, what water coolant ratio would you run. I have an 06 sti stage 2 plus ewg and cai intake. I've been thinking 10 or 20 percent coolant with water wetter

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Run coolant antifreeze if you need freeze protection. Figure the freeze/boil point with a chart or tester.
Follow instructions for the water wetter.

Some tracks frown on antifreeze. Keep that in mind.

Airpig

One thing unless I missed it needs to be mentioned. One of the ways the coolant creates a higher boiling point is pressure. It's like in a pressure cooker the temperature can get higher that 212 degrees for pressure. Same principal for the car...the system is pressurized to prevent boiling. Coolant provides a more consistent temp but also has a lubricating feature in it. The number one cause of overheating is a corroded water pump where the metal is eaten on the impeller and doesn't push coolant any more. Second is calcium in the radiator. CLR will take care of it usually but there's usually damage to the internals of the radiators. All mixed coolants do not like aluminum. There is however an alternative and it eliminates corrosion. http://www.evanscooling.com/
It's expensive for the initial job but No more worrying about the water-pumps nor the radiator.