What motor oil is the best?

Scott Stokes

i never had problems with rp in my subaru, but mine doesnt sit still either. but after the problem i had with the 5.7 i took it out of my engine. But now that i run this hta turbo it stated in the install directions that using RP or Mobile one synthetic will kill the new hta turbos. So i took their recommendation on valvoline racing syn did the research and next to amsoil this was the most logical step. But now that i am a Amsoil dealer that is what my baby will get

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Scott I'm a dealer to and my STi loves Dominator oil.

adamkob32

I've always used Mobil 1 full synthetic. Never had any issues with it. Im actually changing my oil this sunday and was torn between buying my traditional M1 and Royal Purple.

I know this is an old post, what weight Mobil 1 are you using? Definitely stay away from Mobil 1 5W30. The sheer temps are way too low for a turbo charged engine.

I've used Redline 0W30 over the winter in mine and have been using Shell Rotella T6 5W40 since spring time. Both have been fantastic and super clean on change. Much better then the Mobil 1 that was used in the car when I got it. Oh an Rotella is readily available at Wal-Mart in 4 qt jugs for only $20.

F

fixem2

Take M1 past 3-5k miles and you might not think it is so hot! Tested a couple cars and a minivan with M1 after 5k miles. Oil was deteriorating fast.

STimedic

My engine builder recommended Rotella T 15W-40 for the break-in, so that's what I'm running for now. The wife's FXT gets Rotella T6 5W-40 and we can go about 4.5k mi between oil changes.

Rosie684

I've been running Royal Purple for years now. I always have to throw a quart in a little after 2k miles. Just recently I did a change and switched to Motul so we'll see how that fairs.

bugeye_fever

I've been running Amsoil SSO 10w-30 for a little over a year now, waiting on results on an analysis of the last 4k. It was brought to my attention by Holy that I may want to run something a little thicker due to having race bearings, also it looks like having a higher amount of zinc is also a good thing. I'm considering this for my next oil change:
http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/amo.aspx
Looks to be pretty good stuff with everything I'm looking for. I don't think this product line has been out very long as they only offer it in 10w-40 and 20w-50.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
I'm gonna keep on saying it over and over again. Nothing is better than Dominator from Amsoil! I need a dang cow bell in this forum. Domanitor FTW!

Z1107

Do you have to buy in bulk? And which of their products would be best for my car. Lightly modified EJ2O at a 100k miles.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Zach you better switch or I'm pulling your membership. :lol:

SleepyBear

read through all the posts some great information about oil. Since my built motor i have used nothing but Amsoil 10w-30 and have not looked back. I used to use Mobile 1 in all my cars until low compression in cylinder 4 on my sti....

Bluedemon_II

read through all the posts some great information about oil. Since my built motor i have used nothing but Amsoil 10w-30 and have not looked back. I used to use Mobile 1 in all my cars until low compression in cylinder 4 on my sti....

I have always been skeptical about broken ringlands+oil use. Still I will never use mobile again. I used it on my mothers Lancer and at 3k miles the oil looked like new, so I will assume that its not cleaning well.

I use Amsoil or rotella on all performance vehicles.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
The STi used to get 3.5 quarts of Castrol Syntec 5W-30 and 1.0 quart of Lucas Oil Pure Synthetic Oil Stabilizer.
Now I use the same ratio but have switched to Castrol Edge, which according to Castrol, maintains peak
horsepower 60% longer than Syntec. This formula seems to keep engine noise waaaay down and allows a much
smoother idle and throttle under 2,500rpms especially.

Lately, though I love this ^ formula, I've thought about ordering some AMSOIL from JJ or Jordan, and going to a
ratio of 4.0 qts. Amsoil to 0.5 qts. Lucas Oil.

Thoughts on this...?

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I would not mix anything with Amsoil... It is already the best protection you can get from an oil as well as Redline. It is an Ether based synthetic so it does not require a stabilizer. You will do more harm than good. IMO there is no need for additives no matter what oil you use as long as you adhere to the recommended change interval and use the recommended viscosity for your internals and specifications.

Another point is Ether based synthetics are far superior to any other type because it has better compressabilty and shear characteristics and thermal properties than a PAO based synthetic. Ether based synthetic oils are the only oils certified for use in modern jet engines.