Who's rocking a CF trunk, and how do you open it?

Grinder34

Track Monkey
I've got a CF trunk and I dont like my options for opening.

Right now as i see it:

a) stock STI trunk springs.
WAY TOO STIFF/STRONG

b) RS/wingless trunk springs
still too stiff/strong

c) friggin magnets
keeps trunk open. Makes trunk opening more difficult, and closing tricky (it slams down, nothing holds it up after you break the magnetic "seal"). Right now i have the problem where i can never seem to open it evenly (left side makes contact, then right...or vice versa), causing the trunk to flex. I hate this as I feel like i'm slowly breaking the CF and/or the paint on top of it. Plus, sometimes the trunk wont actually open: Usually when you pull the trunk release, the springs push it open. As it is now, theres nothing to push the trunk up, so when i let go of the trunk release, it latches again. I have to either have someone else open it for me, or wedge something in the release while i walk to the back of the car.

Wishlist
1) Even softer springs!
I've heard that I might be able to take my wingless springs, heat them and bend them to make them less strong. Yet to be confirmed

2) Dampers
Some dampers would help slow the effect of the stiff springs. Dont know where/how they'd attach though.

3) trunk brace.
STI2NR posted a photo that has me thinking: This might help with the magnets to make the trunk open more evenly. Maybe not though.
http://img1.putphoto.com/images/main/6/1620303389.jpg

Last edited:

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
I always wanted to know about this. Great post once again! U ROCK!!!

snow white

try using the gas shocks off of an explorer or something with a rear glass window that opens. just cut the mounts off the truck and weld/braze them onto the inside of your trunk!

35r

Grinder..... You know i love you man... But HAH HAH ! i TOLD you that trunk sucked to close ! I never used my trunk when i had it on my car. And i know for a fact that if you set a bottle of washer fluid on that apr wing, you will launch it tothe hood ! Seriously though.... Get sticky weights and put them EVENLY on the inside of the lid. Problem solved.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
I just have the magnets and no springs. Its all good. Sometimes it takes a few tries to open though!

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
I know a guy that used to have a bungee cord connected on the inside of the trunk, hooked to large eye bolts
or whatever. I can't remember exactly how it hooked up, but anyway, he had a CF trunk lid with the stock
STi springs. When he hit the release inside the car, it'd come up pretty fast until the bungee was about taut.
He said he had to try a few different bungee lengths to get it right so it would stop the trunk lid from rocketing
up and yet not causing it to bounce on the bungee and slam back closed. When he'd get back to the rear of
the car, he'd unhook one end of the bungee and when he'd close the trunk...just made sure it was connected.

This might be cheap and easy. Lmk if you try this. You could probably use some good strong parachute cord
too. Maybe that would actually be better?

Airpig

Even without a wing my car had the same issue so I put the wing back on. I decided to get the same struts used for my hood. I used Tein struts and think it's one of the better features of my car haha. The way that the arms curve up on the trunk allow for a great deal of real estate to bolt the strut to the inside. Also I'm going to measure the actual amount of movement required and come up with a proper mount for the other end of the strut. I really don't find this to be too hard but I guess there's plenty of trunks out there needing a kit like this. As soon as I have the struts in habd I'll start the process.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
I've thought of that before, but never actually manned up and did it. I'll be very curious to see your results, mounting points, etc..

Keep us posted!

RallySoob

you can get sum universal gas struts or take them off of another car as mentioned but drill your own holes through the mounting hardware and use rivet gun to rivet them to the trunk lid/car trunk area. Thats how my aftermarket front gas hood struts mounted up and its solid as all hell

35r

I took my CF trunk and wing off because it would launch full bottles of washer fluid over the hood. Grinder now has it.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I took my CF trunk and wing off because it would launch full bottles of washer fluid over the hood. Grinder now has it.

The sti torsion bars are retarded if an sti spoiler is not on the trunk...

Im gonna have to buy wrx torsion bars for when i install the s203 spoiler.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Is your trunk CF, Alin? I'm wingless and my trunk opens without medieval catapult action.

35r

I can pick the carbon trunk up with the carbon wing with 2 fingers and put it on...it literally weighs like 5lbs. The sti trunk and wing took 3 of us to hold and line up and felt like it weighed about 50. The torsion bars are insane for stock. And the weight difference is so much between setups the carbon has no choice but to become a catapult. It would be okay if you drilled it and had a key lock so you could hold it down while you open it, but mine (grinders now) did not, so you had to pull the lever on the driver side, which sent it flying and bringing the wing half an inch from going through the rear window.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Yeah it was pretty unacceptable with the sti springs and only minutely better with wingless springs. now I'm springless and It's great.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Hey, I do not have a cf trunk right now, just the wrx trunk with spoiler. It's about 17 or so pounds. Still really light compared to the stock trunk and wing.

Springless, eh????

Does the trunk still pop open without the spring? I might just do that!!!!

Grinder34

Track Monkey
no, it doesnt "pop" open. It opens enough that I can walk to the back of the car and just lift the lid. If i havent used the trunk in a while i'll need to do that twice, since the trunk will stick a little bit, and the first time just unsticks it, with the second one opening it.

I debated putting some strong rare earth magnets (like the ones that keep my trunk open) in a place that'd push the trunk up just a tiny bit when I hit the release, but found it unnecessary.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Then springless it is!!! I never use the trunk..... But there could very well be that one time..... So I will just remove the spring then! As long as I am able to open it, we are good. Doesn't need to pop open. :ty: