Will Cobb Ap Stage 2 be reliable enough?

Mister2011STI

Hey all,

SO I have a 2011 STi sedan and as we all know, when the mod bug bites, it bites hard. Fortunately for me, I had some serious repellent on and only went with Invidia Catted DP, Invidia q300 CBE and Grimmspeed Big mouth up pipe ( for the flex). My question is will I be safe and reliable only running the Cobb AP stage 2 Map? I know TBE is fine for the stage 2 but no one ever mentions the up pipe, so I'm just curious. I figured siince we have such a wealth of knowledge in this community, this would be the place to ask it. I'm hoping we all say yes because I really don't want to protune my car, but at the same time I want the utmost honest answer so I don't break my car or ruin something that costs more than a $170 up pipe.

Thanks all,

Tory
Mister2011STI

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
It will probably be just fine but the single best investment you could make to determine that is to go out and get a wide band AFR gauge. If your AFRs are good and you see no knock then things are great.

There are things you can check in the AP to monitor the health of your engine also. One is to monitor the DAM (Dynamic Advance Multiplier) parameter in the AP... This should be 1 all the time IMO... anything less and it is seeing knock and should be addressed. You can keep an eye out on Feedback Knock Correction as well.

By all means if you are concerned about anything, you can post a log for us to look at.

Here is a write up that explains logging parameters

Finally if you have any doubt what so ever you can remove all doubt by getting a pro-tune to help save your investment.

Mister2011STI

Alright, well now I'm not to sure about putting on the uppipe. Honestly it seems like more hassle than quicker spool and a few extra hp/tq is worth. However I thank you guys for the help and honesty. I might order the uppipe and see if anything happens. If I notice something going wrong, I'll simply return to the stock uppipe, fix the minor problem that was caused and be happy. With the TBE exhaust parts, would it be a good idea to upgrade to a CAI or Ram Air? Or will the stick air box be okay? I just want to make sure the engine and turbo are able to breathe like they are meant to. I'm also very eager to get this small project underway and the garage I'm using is just waiting for me to bring them the parts. I however, want to be sure I understand and have all the negative possibilities covered before I go blow my Subie up. Would it be a likely chance that I would overboost with the uppipe, or is it just something that some people have had happen to them and should be watched out for? I also don't red line my car, or launch it, if that makes any difference. I normally take it around moutain roads between 3500 and 4500 rpms in either 2nd 3rd or 4th gear. That and a few highway merges is about the extent of my "Hardcore" driving. IDk if that makes a difference about what to watch out for but I figured I'd just throw it out there.

Last edited:

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Also consider this. A bigger up pipe will not yield you better spool. It will improve top end power but because it reduces exhaust velocity it will actually increase your spool time. You could get a better flowing up pipe of the same diameter and that will improve your spool characteristics. Save the big pipe for a larger turbo down the road. Also you might not like the sound a bigger up pipe makes. Mine went from rumble to raspy just from changing the up pipe

Mister2011STI

Alright thanks. I'll just stick with a TBE, Cobb AP Stage 2 and Grimmspeed uppipe. If and when the time comes, Ill get a real tune, and add the CAI. Thanks again for all the help.

ZachTTLM

There was alot of good advice given here. You could also consider the COBB SF Short Ram Intake w/ airbox, these were designed around the off the shelf maps for the AccessPORT. Also the larger up pipe does change the sound and the only benefit is top end power. It does increase spool time but is a help for larger turbo upgrades. If you are starting to mod of the first things should be a wide band gauge to monitor. The AEM UEGO 6 in 1 Wideband gauge is definitly the best for the cost. If I can help you with any parts or other questions you may have, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Mister2011STI

Just want one last clarification that this will all work out and be reliable before I hit the "checkout" button. Cobb AP, Invidia Catted DP, Invidia Q300, Cobb SF intake, KN drop in filter. I plan on running Stage 2 93 Oct OTS Map. I will log WOT to check for any knock, and post the log once complete. I am avoiding the up-pipe because I don't plan to pass these above mods. IS there anything I should be worried about with these mods besides running rich or lean? I hear OTS maps are always more rich to account for diff elevation, temp, etc. Thanks again for the help. I am excited to purchase this all tomorrow!

Z1107

Why do you need a k&n drop in if you are buying a Cobb SF? You won't have a box to drop it in. Don't get the drop in, stick with the Cobb SF and if you live in a state that gets hot buy the Cobb air box it will let the intake suck in cooler air. Also remove the silencer in the fender. But everything on the kist looks good.

Last edited:

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Yeah you could either use the Cobb SF OR the K&N drop in with the stock intake... If you do go with the Cobb unit I recommend the cold air box no matter where you live.

In all honesty Your not going to see much of a difference at all by using the cobb sf over stock and the bang for the buck is simply not there. The stock system is fairly good as it is and draws air in from outside the engine compartment anyway. I would recommend the stock intake system with a K&N drop in filter IMO.

The only time I would ever recommend replacing the stock system is when you go bigger turbo and you run out of MAF.

Just my $.02

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Thanks Holy... me sad now raining on my parade.:( Cobb SF FTW!!!:tard:

He's good at doing that, but he is right. Also the stock unit is good up to 400 HP.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Thanks Holy... me sad now raining on my parade.:( Cobb SF FTW!!!:tard:

I'm sowwy!

I do like the Cobb SF. I had one before the KSTech MegaMAF and I still have the cold air box installed. The one to get is the 72mm version if you do go that route but it does require a tune. Then you will see some good gains over stock. The 66mm version does not require tuning and is the one that the OTS maps are made for.

The nice thing about the Cobb that stands out above the rest is the flow straightener. It makes the flow profile over the MAF sensor more laminar and very consistent through out the entire maf scale... You will find that the maf curve is perfectly smooth through out.

Last edited:

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
If you don't mind spending the money it is still a sound investment... As I said it is very consistent. When you do install it clean your MAF sensor while your in there

ZachTTLM

The stock units are rated high correct but shortening the route and taking out the use of the air silencer has shown gains.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
The stock units are rated high correct but shortening the route and taking out the use of the air silencer has shown gains.

Yes. Zach save your money.

Z1107

Well since my car is being protuned next week Im pretty sure Ill get more out of it than just what the OTS maps provide.