Winter mode/Winter beaters

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Drive smart and drive safe guys! Seriously Hope everyone gets to and from where they need to go safely.

Remember, having all wheel drive is NO EXCUSE for not having proper tires for winter conditions. Snow tire rubber compounds are much softer than other tires and most importantly, stay soft and pliable below 45*F. Many snow tire compounds also contain silica which helps grip wet, slippery surfaces. Also, the tread pattern on snow tires is designed to quickly evacuate snow, slush, ice and mud, known as "self-cleaning tread". Summer or All Season tires often have problems with snow and slush caking in the tread, which reduces the useable contact patch and reduces traction.

Don't take chances with your ride (and your safety). I just saw a bugeye hit a light pole yesterday as he was trying to take a corner...
...He had "All Season" tires.

Last edited:

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Well even with proper tires, a dumbass driver will wreck.

Be responsible!

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
He was moving at maybe 15-20mph max, turning through an intersection. Once he hit a slippery spot, the car continued straight even with the wheels turned all the way to the left. Luckily he's okay, but the front end of his bugeye is NOT. He was doing nothing dangerous, risky or otherwise...besides having shit tires mounted.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
"All Season" tires have multiple compounds in the contact patch, with the smallest patch being for snow/ice. There simply isn't enough snow/ice compound in an all season tire to compete with a snow tire. IF there was, then that all season tire wouldn't last very long at all before there was no tread left AND it would have poor dry pavement cornering performance.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Blizzaks or gtfo! :lol:

Did your roads freeze like ours this morning?

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
I imagine the ground is frozen now. We were down to about 11*F this morning when I went to work. The pavement was dry this morning though, so it was not slippery.

Yesterday, the pavement was wet but the ground was still warm enough to keep things from getting too slick. The bridges were terrifying though, as they froze quickly with the low air temperatures... I would coast across them keeping the wheel perfectly straight and could feel the car floating until I was off the bridge.

TK-421

Blizzaks or gtfo! :lol:

Did your roads freeze like ours this morning?

No but mine are flooded down here in many places, we had a lot of wind damage and a few water spouts last night. The lightning was super intense too.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Blizzaks are on! Now we return to our regularly scheduled programming... "The Batmobile: How to drive like a lunatic in a blizzard"

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I feel bad for the subarus in buffalo. 6 feet of snow so far and another 2 feet of snow on the way... Ouch... :(

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Ouch! ?

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
:subaru: Wooohooo! Boosting in a blizzard! Getting a little sideways! :peelout: