LW Crank Pulley

ICY STi

Is there actually any adverse issues that come with going with a light weight crank pulley? I found a thread a few days ago but forgot to copy the URL and post it in here to get the experts input, but long story short they were saying that the LWCP can lead to severe issues like knock or throwing timing. The one thing most people who sounded smart about the issue said that with it not having a harmonic balancer associated with it it tends to cause vibrations that just get worse and ultimately end up destroying the engine. THOUGHT COMMENTS EXPERIENCE

Grinder34

Track Monkey
I dunno about on the STI, but on my old MINI all the vibration absorbtion was in the flywheel. That sucker weighed 20 lbs

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
IIRC the EJ engine is internally balanced.
What your speaking of is a Harmonic "dampener". This just controls harmonics much like a rubber bushing would.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
LWCP is a different thing from a dampener.
Crank pulleys hold belts, dampeners control harmonics.

ICY STi

Ok thanks guys. I wish I could find that thread. I may have just misread it. Thanks for the posts guys.

Spamby thanks for the barney break down of what a pulley does. :tard: You learn something new every day. :lol:

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I'm not sure if spamby meant this but the EJ does not have a harmonic balancer for the very reason he suggests. Internally balanced by nature of design.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
I'm not sure if spamby meant this but the EJ does not have a harmonic balancer for the very reason he suggests. Internally balanced by nature of design.

Yep, yep. Guess I should have reworded it.

Wished Icy would find the link, I would love to read that article. lol

ICY STi

I have searched for it most of today and last night. I was going to post this question yesterday but couldnt find that forum again. I even looked through my internet history to no avail... :(