Friend wants to get an AWD vehicle, what should he get?

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Ok, so my friend wishes to get an AWD car. He had a 2004 G35 before and currently has a 2012 TSX. He didn't really like RWD, he absolutely hates FWD, and now wishes to experience AWD. Of course, the first thought was a Subaru. However, prices are still pretty high for what he wants to get. So, then we started looking around at other possibilities. The following cars came up:

-Evo
-S4
-335xi Coupe (E92)
-R32
-G35X/G37X

What other options do we have for a performance vehicle that is AWD? What cars have you guys dealt with in the past that is an all around great performing AWD car?

WesternSTi

The Music Man
What's his price point? The only other AWD system other than Subaru that I would say is as good or a little better because of more years of experience is Audi. I don't recommend Acura/Honda's AWD system... But that's my personal experience and opinion.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
He wants to be around 15-20k

Acura is a no go. He works on acuras all day every day and hes sick of them. Hence why he has a tsx currently.

I will look into caddy but that isnt our taste unless its a V :lol:

The problem with audi its gonna have issues that arent cheap down the road. So will the beamer though... :(

I told him to do sti cause we would do it right and avoid all the common noob mistakes.

Also fyi: the shawd tl beat the subaru sawd a few years ago. :tup:

WesternSTi

The Music Man
You can definitely get an 05-07 STI for that Alin. Also... In what race? Off road?? I'm really curious to see what test it beat it in. From all the research I've done, their AWD is much more FWD-biased(IIRC). I'd never have either Beamer or Audi, and that's one of the many reasons. Their reliability and cost to repair.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
It was an ice challenge and acura was the only one to complete it.

I told him to start looking at 06 cause he likes hawkeyes and 06 seem to definitely be the better year.

The thing is that he wants some luxury and these cars are BUT that. :rofl:

WesternSTi

The Music Man
Yeah. The 08-14 definitely got some(not a lot, but some) much needed little luxury touches. The VA chassis is even more of a step up...but of course that's way outside his price point. An Ice Challenge? Why would anyone do that? LOL. Nothing can drive on ice. It's....ICE. Tell him how much fun the STI is and he'll forget about the luxury part.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
It was a test to see which awd system was literally the best. The way the SH-AWD works is quite phenomenal actually.

Hes driven my car but not hard. Ive driven with him in the passenger. I think i proved to him thay the car is as amazing as we all praise it to be. :lol: :tup:

However... I have been diving deep into the 335xi coupes and they are pretty neat. Not my taste but as a car enthusiast i can appreciate it. :tup:

I dont like any luxury at all. I need raw performance!!! :tard:

WesternSTi

The Music Man
I dont like any luxury at all. I need raw performance!!! :tard:

Me either. I don't need my car to park itself, drive itself, brake itself, or do anything else FOR me. The most technology I ever want is assistance...something like where the car does something to wake the driver if it senses he or she is nodding off, or beeping when you're straying into the next lane.

Back to the topic at hand: Sure... The SH-AWD is better than say, the CRV's AWD system. I would also say it's good. But I wouldn't say it's better than Subaru or Audi. Personally.

WesternSTi

The Music Man
Also...Acura's SH-AWD is designed more for cornering. It started in the Prelude with just the Super-Handling....My previous vehicle and one I hope to get again. While I didn't have the Type-SH Lude, I know that it literally started as a way to pull the car through turns more effectively, rather than maneuvering on snow, ice, gravel, or other non-paved road material. It's remained the focus of the system ever since.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
does the jdm civic si type r have that fwd sh?

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
The cadillac ats 2.0t is too expensive for what it is.

Looks like its either a g37x, 335xi, or sti.