Questions on turbo swapping

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
So, I'm looking at DIY and how to's on turbo swapping. Some people have mentioned you need to unplug the fuel controller from the trunk in order to prime the turbo when you have finished swapping it out. Some people never say anything about priming it. What needs to be done after the new turbo is in and all lines connected back? Now, I've looked at a few different ones from different forums. If you guys see one that looks correct, please link it. Besides that, is there anything else that I need to know before I attempt to swap out my VF39 for the VF48?
[MENTION=1]IGOTASTi.COM[/MENTION] [MENTION=9]HolyCrapItsFast[/MENTION] [MENTION=4577]TK-421[/MENTION] [MENTION=1507]Spamby[/MENTION] [MENTION=662]Batmobile_Engage[/MENTION] [MENTION=652]Grinder34[/MENTION]

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Ummm...unplug the fuel controller, for a turbo swap? Why? You installing an afterburner? :lol:

I remember pulling all the connections off the turbo: electrical, oil and coolant. Disconnect turbo inlet, up pipe, downpipe, then turbo mounting bracket. Pull that bitch out and reverse the process. Am I getting senile?

Last edited:

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Ummm...unplug the fuel controller, for a turbo swap? Why? You installing an afterburner? :lol:

I remember pulling all the connections off the turbo: electrical, oil and coolant. Disconnect turbo inlet, up pipe, downpipe, then turbo mounting bracket. Pull that bitch out and reverse the process. Am I getting senile?

To prime the turbo with oil prior to starting.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
fuelpumpfuses.jpg

fuelpumpschematic.jpg

fuelpumpwiringdiagram.jpg

fuelpumprelaylocation.jpg

fuelpumpcontroller.jpg

So, which one am I pulling: the fuse or the controller? :lol:

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
:ty: [MENTION=4577]TK-421[/MENTION] Seems pretty straight forward then. I should be able to get it done pretty quickly on a lift. :tup:

TK-421

:ty: [MENTION=4577]TK-421[/MENTION] Seems pretty straight forward then. I should be able to get it done pretty quickly on a lift. :tup:

You really don't need a lift to do it, but whatever floats your boat and sinks your submarine

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
No postwhoring in this section! :angry: Take it to the postwhore thread! :banghead:
[MENTION=1]IGOTASTi.COM[/MENTION] :police:

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
You really don't need a lift to do it, but whatever floats your boat and sinks your submarine
Seems like oil is going to keep my turbo afloat and coolant will sink it. :lol:

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Last edited: