What the hell is this noise?

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
What the hell is this squeaking noise when I pull away from the light? It only seems to happen in 1st gear when I take off. Is this a belt, or a bearing in the clutch assembly like I am afraid of?

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I have a very slight chatter when starting from a standpoint in first. You cant hear it outside of the car. Mines something to do from when i adjusted my clutch pedal after i got the new assembly in.

Yours sounds more of a whine. Never heard something like that before.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
It sounds like a metal-on-metal squeaking. I had this clutch installed this spring. It's started making this noise about a month or two ago at most. At first it was occasional, now it's every time I pull away in 1st.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Do you feel any sort of vibration in your pedal?

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
[MENTION=600]black bandit[/MENTION] [MENTION=4577]TK-421[/MENTION] [MENTION=3516]zax[/MENTION]

Lets see what the others say then.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
[MENTION=1172]Alin[/MENTION] was his clutch pedal mechanism and I'm now having his problem.
Yours sounds like what you have suggested. Try some spray on belt conditioner. When's the last time you changed your belts?
I hope it's not the clutch but...

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
I believe belts may have changed at 30k but I can't be sure. I just rolled 65,500 this week.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Either way, it's time for new belts. :lol:

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
^^^ Is it? I'm not driving it much these days, I'm half tempted to put it all off until next year when the engine gets torn down and built with forged guts.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Belts are cheap, don't wait until the last minute. check your belts tomorrow and see if they are getting eaten up. Question, does this whine happen EVERY time you start off? Could it be a pulley? How loud is this noise?

TK-421

What clutch is in this car? I've had a few customers with ACT clutches that have had throw out bearings go bad. I usually recommend a factory Subaru throw out bearing and pilot bearing, instead of the provided ones in upgraded clutch kits, Unless it is a twin disc setup, no way around that. The noise is definitely a metal on metal contact noise and not so much a belt squeak, a belt squeak would also be present at different engine load points. Since the noise is seeming to only be present at a start from full standing stop, it would lead me to the conclusion of throw out bearing failure. Belts would also squeak or squeal after washing the car or on cold and dark start ups.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
With a throw out bearing failing, do you feel any vibration feedback in the clutch pedal?

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
It's a Comp Clutch Stage IV installed in early May with new factory flywheel, [MENTION=4577]TK-421[/MENTION].

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
One thing I specifically noted was that it does not happen when changing gears any other time...up, down, whatever...only when leaving the line in 1st.

TK-421

With a throw out bearing failing, do you feel any vibration feedback in the clutch pedal?

Depends on the vehicle, and the specific conditions, but most of the time no, the only time you feel feedback in the pedal through a hydraulically actuated clutch, is usually when there is damage to either the flywheel or pressure plate surfaces, similar to the braking system with a warped rotor. A throw out bearing will just chatter, some are noisy some aren't.

TK-421

It's a Comp Clutch Stage IV installed in early May with new factory flywheel, @TK-421.
The throw out bearing takes the brunt of the abuse upon starting from stop, where as shifting while moving has minimal contact with the bearing surface. I've never really had problems with the Competition clutch brand. Do you know if the pilot bearing was also replaced? It still seems like a driveline issue with in the video, when you pull the engine for its internal work, ask your shop, or if doing yourself, to check the throw out bearing, pilot bearing, clutch fork and check the clutch cover/pressure plate for uneven wear. I doubt I mean highly doubt it's the actual clutch kit or flywheel, but it just seems so reminiscent of throw out bearing/pilot bearing failure. @Batmobile.