What motor oil is the best?

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
And all the CEO's run DOMINATOR! :lol:

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Reks, and I thought we where friends? LOL!

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Good idea! I like it.

05STiOwner

I have used Mobile 1 synthetic since I bought my car. I have never had any failures, and I have pushed my STi to the max a few times. It's seen 160mph about ten times and never had a problem before or after everthing.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
I have used Mobile 1 synthetic since I bought my car. I have never had any failures, and I have pushed my STi to the max a few times. It's seen 160mph about ten times and never had a problem before or after everthing.

Do you use any oil between oil changes?

05STiOwner

Burns a tiny tiny bit of oil. Sharla-It does well under under very high temperatures. Doesn't thin out as much as people say or think it does.

05STiOwner

Nice. I have Auto X raced mine a few times as well. It's only at 98,000 miles but she has helled up well. I won't do anything to the engine until it goes or knocks.

05STiOwner

Ya I read that today. When I have my turbo rebuilt I'll have to change my oil. Since my Gen1 green hasn't seen fp since it was bought from them. My turbo does do just fine.

Bluedemon_II

Any smoke at start up? Have you did a compression check?

Strangely after changing to RP 20w50, now the car smokes at idle frequently at cold starts. Suspecting turbo seals. Haven't gotten my hands on a compression tester so far so no comp numbers. Still the car did not smoke while on rottela.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Mobil One has changed their formula......

Even Forced Performance has stated DO NOT USE MOBIL ONE with our Journal Bearing Turbo's because the formula changed. It has caused Turbo Failure in Journal's.

I believe this has to do with the sulfur content... Just like with the difference between group 4 and group 5 gear oils, the higher sulfur formula attacks yellow metals at high temperatures. The journal bearings in a turbo are brass and the temperature of the oil inside a turbo is significantly higher than it is through out the rest of the motor. The sulfur is a high impact additive that allows for great impact and shear force performance but once you being it past 200* it will corrode yellow metals.

if your in a pinch, Mobile one has a formula made for turbo diesel applications which is better suited for us but Amsoil and Redline are always the better choice IMO

jswansti

I've always used Mobil 1 full synthetic. Never had any issues with it. Im actually changing my oil this sunday and was torn between buying my traditional M1 and Royal Purple.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
I love Amsoil. I run Dominator and love it. I sell it and so does Jordan. :tup:

Undecisive

I just wish amsoil was sold locally, instead of buying it through the internet... Buying off the internet means I need to buy about 4 oil changes worth. :/ but ill keep your offer in mind

Scott Stokes

I dislike amsoil because it's so hard to find. And I've never seen anything bad with royal purple.

i got some cool stories about royal purple. It becomes glue after sitting in a enging for a few weeks. Royal purple makes good break in oil, but nothing else. Royal purple cost me a supercharged 5.7 chevy motor all because it set with out running for a month. Royal purple bought that motor from me too. Valvoline make a 20w50 racing syntheic that is amazing, its is the only oil Forcedperformance will recommend for the new HTA turbo line. Its has all that wonderful zinc and stuff you want going through these high dollar turbos we insist on putting on our Subarus... this is only my 3 cents though