02 Frankensubie Monstrosity

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Awesome!

Hopefully you will nail this down and we can continue with your tune. :tup:

SudoSTI

Been wicked busy with school and work. Haven't slept well the last two nights from anxiety worrying about what I got on my thermodynamics midterm. Found out tonight I got a 98% though! Also going to be working the next few weekends to recoup the last few unexpected purchases for this turdbox and hopefully get back to OG member status. Miiiiiiiight get a chance to work on the VSS issue tomorrow evening though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

98% :tup: Super genius.

SudoSTI

Haven't had a chance to work on the VSS yet. :( But I did order these!

Kids went to the grandparents for a sleepover so I think some beverage, gasket swapping, and troubleshooting are in order. Unless of course my wife wants to do something silly like spend time together or something....

SudoSTI

Oh and also had to go to Portland (technically Gresham) for work on Friday and I ran the gauntlet and used my own car. I took two gallons of E85 in the trunk just in case but google and e85locator.net both said there was a station with E85 a couple blocks from my work location. After finishing work and before leaving Gresham I thought to call the station ahead of time before heading over for my departure fuel up. No one answered after several calls so I said screw it, I'll just go. So I get there, roll up, and ask the attendant if they have E85. They don't. So now I start searching for more places and the few close ones that google had listed, none had any, and after using my two emergency gallons I still only had slightly over a quarter tank. Finally I find a place called Jay's Garage that has it... but I have to go IN to downtown Portland. Luckily it wasn't too deep in and it was only $2.41 a gallon! $0.58 cheaper than home! So the attendant filled me and my emergency two gallon tank (had to take advantage of that price) and headed home.

All that aside, it ran like a goddamned champ. [MENTION=9]HolyCrapItsFast[/MENTION] the closed loop DD portion we've completed is amazing. And it was a fair amount cooler there than home, plus higher humidity, and it affected this car with the Carberry SD rom less than (by less than I mean SD was not at all affected) it affected my old 06 WRX with a stock MAF tune. And that's even with a pre-turbo exhaust leak!

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Wow this is good to hear though I hardly think we are done with CL :D We still need to do mid load.:tup: Yeah that CarBerry rom is pretty amazing

Jeeze E85 is expensive out there. I get it locally for $1.89. I thought NY was supposed to be more expensive than everyone else, at least that has been my experience

Oh and also had to go to Portland (technically Gresham) for work on Friday and I ran the gauntlet and used my own car. I took two gallons of E85 in the trunk just in case but google and e85locator.net both said there was a station with E85 a couple blocks from my work location. After finishing work and before leaving Gresham I thought to call the station ahead of time before heading over for my departure fuel up. No one answered after several calls so I said screw it, I'll just go. So I get there, roll up, and ask the attendant if they have E85. They don't. So now I start searching for more places and the few close ones that google had listed, none had any, and after using my two emergency gallons I still only had slightly over a quarter tank. Finally I find a place called Jay's Garage that has it... but I have to go IN to downtown Portland. Luckily it wasn't too deep in and it was only $2.41 a gallon! $0.58 cheaper than home! So the attendant filled me and my emergency two gallon tank (had to take advantage of that price) and headed home.

All that aside, it ran like a goddamned champ. @HolyCrapItsFast the closed loop DD portion we've completed is amazing. And it was a fair amount cooler there than home, plus higher humidity, and it affected this car with the Carberry SD rom less than (by less than I mean SD was not at all affected) it affected my old 06 WRX with a stock MAF tune. And that's even with a pre-turbo exhaust leak!

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Yeah.... That's steep. Our E85 is $1.56! :lol:

SudoSTI

Well I meant sub 3k rpm daily drivability haha. Yeah I'm shafted here in town because the only station, though conveniently right by my house, is owned by Connell Oil/Pacific Pride who caters primarily to commercial entities. I'm pretty sure it would be cheaper if we could just get more damn pumps out here!

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I'd need injectors and a bigger fuel pump in addition to a tune from you. I'm done modding the car though! :angry:
I love it exactly as it is! 93 is only $2.40 now anyways!

No excuse! :lol:

SudoSTI

The more I see of my turbo kit the less impressed I am with it. I replaced the exhaust gaskets tonight and the downpipe to midpipe is still leaking. The flange on the downpipe is warped so badly that even the 12 layer Grimmspeed gasket couldn't close the gap all the way. I'm going to have to flatten/machine that flange to be able to seal it. And he didn't actually use any gaskets in the first place. There was a small amount of residue of the copper gasket maker gunk between the uppipe and header but that was it.

There is also zero bracing on it. All the stress from the weight of the turbo is transferred to the header to uppipe union and the downpipe to midpipe union. I'm probably going to keep blowing gaskets even if I resurface the downpipe flange.

Also checked my oil and it's eating oil like a sonofabitch. I'm just going to try ease it through the next year-ish then do my z0mgwowz0rz build sooner than I planned when I'm done with school and making real money.

Also found my inner axle boot is in two pieces. -_-

SudoSTI

Just checked my catch cans and they're bone dry. And being that my compression was good I think my engine is actually ok. Wondering if the seals on my turbo are going...

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I take it this is not a new turbo? On a new engine it is expected to go through some oil because break-in, but it should only be minimal and last only for the first few hundred miles. Since compression is good I would think the oil consumption is less likely the motor. Any drippage anywhere?

I assume we are putting a hold on tuning right now till you decide what your doing? :tup:

SudoSTI

No, I bought it used with only a few hundred miles on it (car the turbo was on was a weekend cruiser/show car) and there wasn't any shaft play so it seemed to be in good health.

There is a slight film of oil underneath. I wouldn't be surprised by a slight leak somewhere on the engine, but I have never seen an actual drip and it has never left any residue behind on the ground so even if there is a leak it is minimal and I still have a major problem elsewhere. The engine has 30k miles on it as well. Aside from the car sitting for so long, the engine ran like a champ before I started adding stuff to it; still runs great actually. So I wouldn't think there would be any kind of break in necessary. It didn't really dawn on me until I was adding some oil last night, turned around and looked at how much I still have left on the shelf. It's gone through about 2.5qts in 1700 miles.

I also noticed liquid dripping from my leaking exhaust joint at the downpipe/midpipe union and it was dripping fluid. I got some on my finger, rubbed it around and smelled it and I'm 99% sure it's just water.

If it ends up being the turbo needing a rebuild and being that AGP averages $300 for a rebuild, I'll probably actually get one of the Borg Warner SX-E257 super cores, reuse my turbine housing, and sell my current turbo on the cheap to someone who wants to rebuild it. Luckily I'll be working weekends for the foreseeable future but I reeeeeeally hope it doesn't come to that.

SudoSTI

Nope, Horsepower Barn. I should have gone with the kit from Garris in Ellensburg.

Nope, Horsepower Barn. I should have gone with the kit from Garris in Ellensburg.

Damn sorry about that I figure they would have done top notch finish work on their fabricating.

I'm still a bit sketched out about my FP and hope it's fine after what I discovered removing the turbo and hope it didn't get too much or too little oil.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

SudoSTI

Me too. It'll be nice in the interim though. I'll build a new engine on the side with a 3MI Racing +4mm long rod bored out to 4" so I can keep the 2.5, and JDM big port headers built by Headgames to add AVCS and I'll probably get a Full Race EFR 8374 twin scroll kit to match.

You're probably ok but at this point I'm not sure of anything coming out of that shop. Did the oil line have the little filter thing still or was it removed? If it was removed you're probably ok.