02 Frankensubie Monstrosity

Sooooo it is making noise. I don't know if it was the cold, rain, or I was actually able to discern it from all the other "regular" noises my car makes, but good lord that thing is toast haha. Going to order those Insane Shafts and give them a shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That sucks and you should do a pic heavy write up when replacing them. If you need a hand on the install let me know and I'll help you out.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

SudoSTI

Sounds good. I'm going to order them today so they hopefully make it and can be installed by the weekend. Just got a Ninkasi mixed IPA 12 pack. :tup:

SudoSTI

Axles ordered! Estimated delivery date is next Tuesday. If that's the case they won't be installed until next weekend. Excited to check these out! I'll have [MENTION=2822]Doppelganger[/MENTION] come over and take pics/drink beer of the install.

SudoSTI

So before I go balls out and order a new turbo, I'd like some opinions. So I've had heavy oil consumption (4-5qts in just under 3k miles IIRC), but:
-My catch cans are bone dry
-I have one catch can for the crank case, another for the heads
-I have them hooked up properly per the manufacturer's instructions
-I kept my PCV valve and it is fine/fully operational
-There is a heavy amount of sludgy carbon buildup on my exhaust tip and goes up my bumper above the tip slightly
-There was little to no shaft play before installing
-Turbo was primed by cranking engine without spark plugs in (same as compression test)
-I haven't pulled the downpipe to check for oil on the turbine yet
-There is no smoke coming from my exhaust that I have witnessed (during idle, warm or cold)

Does this point to bad turbo seals? Or possibly leaking exhaust valves making their way to the turbine?

SudoSTI

Oh and to add to the list:
-No noticeable fresh oil residue underneath the car
-Never has left even a drop of oil on the ground after being parked anywhere

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
The probability that it is the turbo is greater. The only way to fine out for sure would be to remove both the down pipe and the exhaust manifold/header and check the turbo and the exhaust ports at the head for oil residue to determine the source. Usually if there are leaking valve seals, it would smoke horribly.

SudoSTI

Yeah I have yet to see any smoke. Have you ever witnessed bad turbo oil seals that haven't smoked? I suppose I should also remove my intake and/or some intercooler piping to see if any oil is coming in from the compressor side as well.

Yeah I have yet to see any smoke. Have you ever witnessed bad turbo oil seals that haven't smoked? I suppose I should also remove my intake and/or some intercooler piping to see if any oil is coming in from the compressor side as well.

My vf39 did just this. No smoke only black on back of my tail pipe. Just rebuilt a 20g that will be going on my new engine when it's done.

My Vf also didn't blow smoke but the motor started to eat oil and shortly after that the turbo went out on me but wasn't your BW pretty new?

SudoSTI

Bought it used from a garage princess but it was on NASTICOC so who knows how honest the seller was. I'm already figuring out when I can order the S257 SX-E.

SudoSTI

Finally replaced the axles! Here is the old next to the new. The bad one had gotten so bad I actually jacked up the car to see if the axle was still once piece after school one night. It sounded absolutely atrocious. Pics!

Notice one major difference between the two... no ABS tone ring on the old one!!! When I noticed that I was curious if the driver's side would be the same and guess what. It also had no tone ring. So I was curious if that was why the VSS module wasn't working all along. I took it on a drive after getting the new ones in (for more beer) and guess what.... SPEEDO WORKS!!!!! FUCK YEAH!!!!!

Also my buddy is storing these in my garage so I tried them on while it was convenient...

Mmmmmm Volk RE30s. My all time favorite wheel. They need some serious TLC and new tires but my buddy has a hard on to see them on my car so I'm probably going to pick them up from him in 8-9 months after I finish school.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
That's interesting that the presumably stock axle doesn't have the ABS rings... WTF? Question about those new axles: are they lighter than the stock ones?!

SudoSTI

I got the front axles used with all four spindles and Brembos so I'm guessing they were removed at one point or another for some odd reason. I actually didn't even think to weigh the two for a difference. The new ones may be slightly lighter but if so it isn't by much. If you notice the new shaft diameter is actually smaller but the metal they used is much denser of a material. I'm not sure but IIRC when Subaru axles break (power-wise) it's generally the shaft and not the CV. I feel pretty good about these axles having compared them side by side. We'll see how they hold up.

Finally replaced the axles! Here is the old next to the new. The bad one had gotten so bad I actually jacked up the car to see if the axle was still once piece after school one night. It sounded absolutely atrocious. Pics!

[url]http://i554.photobucket.com/albums/jj429/Kyler_Welsch/Frankensubie%20Project/D047B627-CC70-4C40-9E2C-76F891253EC3.jpg[/URL]
[url]http://i554.photobucket.com/albums/jj429/Kyler_Welsch/Frankensubie%20Project/516799A4-9FE5-4FD3-8AB6-BA94FCE6D629.jpg[/URL]
[url]http://i554.photobucket.com/albums/jj429/Kyler_Welsch/Frankensubie%20Project/DCC430AC-EBD8-4F15-871D-42D838F00636.jpg[/URL]
[url]http://i554.photobucket.com/albums/jj429/Kyler_Welsch/Frankensubie%20Project/9EFC8433-6FAB-4513-83A8-80227D3F867E.jpg[/URL]

Notice one major difference between the two... no ABS tone ring on the old one!!! When I noticed that I was curious if the driver's side would be the same and guess what. It also had no tone ring. So I was curious if that was why the VSS module wasn't working all along. I took it on a drive after getting the new ones in (for more beer) and guess what.... SPEEDO WORKS!!!!! FUCK YEAH!!!!!

Also my buddy is storing these in my garage so I tried them on while it was convenient...

[url]http://i554.photobucket.com/albums/jj429/Kyler_Welsch/Frankensubie%20Project/C413FDFA-F684-4F95-918F-9A81F8FFB3E0.jpg[/URL]
[url]http://i554.photobucket.com/albums/jj429/Kyler_Welsch/Frankensubie%20Project/177CF313-6309-4C64-BD26-473ED7C41A3D.jpg[/URL]

Mmmmmm Volk RE30s. My all time favorite wheel. They need some serious TLC and new tires but my buddy has a hard on to see them on my car so I'm probably going to pick them up from him in 8-9 months after I finish school.

You should have hit me up bud but glad you got it done and figured out the speedo issue.

SudoSTI

Sorry mang. This weekend was pretty crazy. I didn't even know when or how long I would have to work on it at any given time until I was heading out to the garage. I was going to call Juan too.

SudoSTI

Was driving to work this morning and speedo worked great the whole way, except when I lightly applied the breaks as I approached work. Speedo wigged out between 30kph-130kph. It rained all weekend so I'm thinking the wet roads, plus I just did a shitty job wiring, and the ABS kicking in a little caused some voltage swings so the speedo went a bit crazy.

SudoSTI

Drove to work this morning for the first time without having a GPS app open on my phone sitting in front of my cluster. Worked great and didn't wig out once. Also my outside temp gauge started working randomly at the same time the speedo did. It doesn't show up until after a bit of driving, and I don't have the sensor for it because I don't have auto HVAC so it reads ---*C, but it works!

Also feels like the brakes pulse off and on at low to mid speeds so I'm wondering if I'll need to clean up the wiring anyway to keep from getting wonky signals for the ABS system.

Getting an alignment today as well. Pretty excited I'm down to the last few things needed to mechanically make it "complete." This should just leave me with flattening the flange to fix the exhaust leak, add a small exhaust bracket, swap turbo, and finish tuning!

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Exciting times!!! Get us some new pics!!!

SudoSTI

Anything specific? Exterior is pretty low key. Engine bay is a mess but it works. First order of business when I finish school in the spring is tidy up the engine bay. Then probably move on to a fresh bumper that doesn't look like it's falling off all the time haha.