Blow off valve

Treyw147

I'm going to start off by saying I am a mechanic but when it comes to turbos I'm not that knowledgeable. So don't laugh at me.
I have a 2011 sedan Sti limited. I'm currently running: cobb cold air intake with box, cobb turbo back exhaust, and v3 access port with 91 oct boost map ext..

I want to buy and install the cobb Tuning XLE Blow Off Valve. Obviously because I would to have the iconic sound they produce.

My question is, is it really just a buy and install part? Do I need to modify anything else or upgrade? Do I need to run a certain map/tune for this? Is this a good blow off valve for my car? Well it produce the iconic sound?

I've been trying to do my research. I've seen that some say if I don't take out the mass airflow sensor the car would run like crap. Some say I don't need to. Some say I have to change the waste gate.

Not sure what to do here. Any help would be muchly appreciated. Thanks

War_Panda04

STill Plays With Toys!
why do you want the blow off valve? you want the pshh? its a waste of air if you are thinking performance in my opinion. [MENTION=9]HolyCrapItsFast[/MENTION] [MENTION=652]Grinder34[/MENTION] [MENTION=662]Batmobile_Engage[/MENTION]

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Holy will definitely be able to answer better, but in a standard MAF tune, you're getting rid of metered engine air with a BOV, so you'll be running rich. Rich isn't as bad as lean, so it's (probably) not a huge engine safety issue. Ideally with a BOV you'd switch to something like a Speed Density (SD) tune.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Yes, you will run rich. Not all the time necessarily, but definitely between shifts. A blow off valve in a vent-to-air configuration releases air that the MAF has already accounted for (and the ECU has provided fuel for). If you have a bunch of young guys in the area that throw a fart can and BOV on their Subarus, listen to what it sounds like when they drive away and shift. It usually stubbles, maybe with a little bit of popping from light backfires. Not good.

If you MUST have a VTA BOV, you do have options:

A good tuner can often correct for AFR changes from dumping boost to the atmosphere, instead of recirculating it (like the stock configuration).
So you could always inquire with a local tuner and see what they say BEFORE you just buy something. Seeing how you already have a couple mods, I would highly suggest seeing a tuner for a protune anyway. Thank God you're at least running a Cobb OTS map. I can't even tell you how many tools I see destroy their engines because they have 4-5 mods and still on the stock tune. Every engine related mod likely requires a retune just to be safe, let alone get the full power potential.

The factory bypass valve is actually a pretty damn good unit. If you were to ever had problems holding boost, maybe you'd crush the plenum a bit, but generally speaking the factory valve is more than enough for the stock turbo. AND it's actually pretty loud, even in recirc, but that depends on your intake. I see that you have a Cobb cold air intake. IMO that should make the valve considerably more audible than it was with the stock intake. (The valve returns the released boost back into the turbo inlet tube, which is why if your intake is large and open filtered so to speak, you can hear the valve noise escape from the air filter.

Back to tuning for a moment, you could go with a Speed Density configuration and tune, like Grinder said. You could also relocate the MAF sensor to be AFTER the valve. This would allow the valve to dump the released boost before any air metering is done. This is how I am configured and it's generally known as a Blow-Thru MAF. All this is far too much screwing around and waaaaay to much money just to have the VTA BOV sound.

I don't really know much about the Cobb XLE valve, but Cobb turns out good quality parts, so I would trust it. If you do decide to get it, I would suggest running it in Hybrid configuration (50% of released boost get's recirculated and 50% vents to the atmosphere). That would probably be your best bet when it comes to keeping your engine running decent (likely to be safe without a retune) AND give you that extra noise you are looking for.

Though in the end, I can't help but mention, this is a $300 part. If the sound is worth that much to you, you'll probably be fine getting the Cobb XLE. But for $300, I'd save up my money until I could install multiple power mods at the same time, at which point you could throw in a VTA BOV just for shits and giggles.

If that $300 is burning a hole in your pocket, may I direct your attention to suspension modifications. :lol: No really, I'm serious. Sway bars, end-links, polyurethane bushings, sway bar mounts and so forth...are all great low level mods that are fairly easy to do yourself, don't cost very much and offer a big performance increase per dollar compared to other mods.

So, if it were me, I'd spend that $300 on a Whiteline sway bar in a heart beat before I'd (sort of) waste it on that valve.

That's my best advice. Hopefully it doesn't ruffle your feathers. And by the way, welcome to the community! :tup:

Last edited:

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
The wikipedia page actually describes it fairly well...

In the case where a mass airflow sensor (MAF) is used and is located upstream from the blowoff valve, the engine control unit (ECU) will inject excess fuel because the atmospherically vented air is not subtracted from the intake charge measurements. The engine then briefly operates with a fuel-rich mixture after each valve actuation.

The rich mixing can lead to hesitation or even stalling of the engine when the throttle is closed, a situation that worsens with higher boost pressures. Occasional events of this type may be only a nuisance, but frequent events can eventually foul the spark plugs and destroy the catalytic converter, as the inefficiently combusted fuel produces soot (excess carbon) and unburned fuel in the exhaust flow can produce soot in the converter and drive the converter beyond its normal operating temperature range.

Treyw147

Thank you so much for you input Batmobile_Engage . After thinking it over i believe your right. It wouldn't be worth the $300 just to hear a sound. I do hear it when im getting on it because of the air intake. so that's good enough for me. i do however have SPC performance suspension modifications installed already. Don't worry im not a complete fool. :lol: since i won't be getting the bov, another mod i was thinking about was upgrading the turbo and installing a top mount inter-cooler.

But then i noticed that there is a way to essentially turn up the stock turbo. Could you explain to me how i can get more boost out of the stock turbo before i buy $1,200 cobb turbo. im currently peaking at 16.54, id like to get 20. And any suggestions about the inter-cooler?

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Well, first, why don't you start another thread about this to keep things on topic.

Second, to go off topic and answer your question:

The stock turbo can only go up so high. Due to balance, construction, etc, there's a point at which you risk the turbo going boom, and even if it doesnt, it's just even hotter air, not really more air. There are billet wheel upgrades (6 speed star or something) that can include things like fancy coatings, etc... that let you get more out of the stock turbo. It's not exactly pennies, but its cheaper than an all new turbo. Then you'll have the IC. There are three options: 1) Bigger top-mount 2) front mount 3) air-to-water intercooler (google HolyCrapItsFast's post on it). Going down the list: Top mount: It's easier, more compact, less boost threshold, easier plumming. But there's heat soak in traffic and it can only be so big. 2) Front mount. Better cooling, way more complex. Looks cool. Probably more expensive, but maybe not. 3) air-to-water. Pretty much awesome. I think holy did it pretty cheaply, but it's definitely not an off-the-shelf solution.

For any sort of turbo upgrade you'll need to get tuned. Even for some intercoolers, a tune would be advisable.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Thank you so much for you input Batmobile_Engage . After thinking it over i believe your right. It wouldn't be worth the $300 just to hear a sound. I do hear it when im getting on it because of the air intake. so that's good enough for me. i do however have SPC performance suspension modifications installed already. Don't worry im not a complete fool. :lol: since i won't be getting the bov, another mod i was thinking about was upgrading the turbo and installing a top mount inter-cooler.

But then i noticed that there is a way to essentially turn up the stock turbo. Could you explain to me how i can get more boost out of the stock turbo before i buy $1,200 cobb turbo. im currently peaking at 16.54, id like to get 20. And any suggestions about the inter-cooler?
[MENTION=5660]Treyw147[/MENTION], start a new thread and we can go over this in more detail. There are things I've done that I would probably do different if I could go back and start my build over again. Hopefully we can keep you from making the same mistakes we've made over the years.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
[MENTION=5660]Treyw147[/MENTION], start a new thread and we can go over this in more detail. There are things I've done that I would probably do different if I could go back and start my build over again. Hopefully we can keep you from making the same mistakes we've made over the years.
Great idea!

Ask us how to become a Lifetime Platinum Member today!

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!

The biggest bang for the buck regarding engine mods is going to be a stage 2 setup and tune. The list of parts is not that large and you keep the stock turbo and intercooler. All it really entails is a down pipe, a fuel pump and a K&N drop in filter, plus I recommend a full three inch exhaust but it is not a requirement. beyond that you will need a tune which we can take care of for you. We provide complimentary e-tuning if you are a paying member and that would be the cheapest tuning option for you. Other than that your other options would be an Open Source pro-tune or a Cobb AccessPort and a pro-tune.