Can I get some help with my EWG questions?

I'm about a year or so out from doing anything to my car in terms of power (warranty), but I have always loved how external wastegates sound, and now that I finally own a turbo car, I am wanting to put one on. So right now I'm planning out my build and stockpiling parts.

One thing I am confused about is what kind of downpipe I need (divorced, bellmouth, etc)..I am assuming you MUST run a divorced wastegate DP in order to run EWG, but I can't find a definitive answer anywhere.

Are there any other supporting mods I need other than downpipe + uppipe + EWG parts to put this on my car? It sounds like some kind of boost controller needs to be in place as well, but again..unsure.

Any recommendations on brands? Right now I have an N1 street catback, and will probably go Invidia catless for my DP as well, but from what it seems like...most brands are pretty much the same. I don't have smog in my state and will probably have 0 cats on my car when I am done.

Will running EWG hurt things that other mods will prevent?

And lastly:

I love having a loud car, I like having all sorts of turbo noises, and I always want more noise. Does anyone who feels the same about loud cars regret getting atmospheric EWG on their cars?

Thanks!

Subaru Tax

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
The divorced down pipe is for internal waste gate setups. :tup: it is meant to separate the internal waste gate port from the main flow to help diminish interference from turbulence and allow smoother flow.

There is definitely no need at all, other than noise, for you to change to an external waste gate setup. It will give you zero advantage or performance gain. If you absolutely have to have one, then I recommend a 44 mm waste gate for the stock turbo. Lager turbos will use the smaller 38 mm. Tial waste gates with the water cooled ports are the best IMO. To be honest you would better spend your money on some other mods that might actually give you some gain.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
one example would be a simple stage 2 setup that will be less money. Then spend your savings on a Cobb AccessPort and load up an OTS stage 2 tune and be done. Or consider a stage 2 setup and a pro-tune

Yeah, definitely looking at an EWG it for the noise-maker aspect..nothing else.

One of the main things I'm trying to figure out is if I can work my way up to EWG, without having to buy the same part but just in a different configuration twice. For instance go Stage 2 with a bellmouth catless DP, but then having to buy a different DP to go EWG.

I do plan on getting an AP + protuned. I've heard too much bad about their OTS maps to feel confident with it, but I would love to be convinced otherwise because it definitely is the more cost efficient route.