Cobb AP information

Td_d

Commander In Chief
Stomp... stomp... I have to weigh in here :D

No, but honestly, despite being what I guess would be called an 'advanced' OS user (I can disassemble the roms, and wade around through the code to id functionality, and more often what other cleverer people have found in their roms!) my take is this:

* For commercial tuning, and lightweight use on the user end - the AP for sure. Solid front end, a lot of the technical work is taken out the equation, and live tuning is a big plus
* For the more technically confident user - tactrix is a cheaper option, and achieves mostly the same end results

That being said - for the complete geek obsessive compulsive self tuner with a sadistic need to take up all their spare time pulling their tune apart and reassembling it - open source is far superior. I've got some experimental tables that to date you only find on commercial systems like AEM or megasquirt, and I don't have to wait for a new release to add functionality and tables / parameters on. At my own risk, of course ;)

COBB's speed density patch is a good case in point - OS has had this available for over 3 years, and recently for later model Subaru's, whilst COBB has only just released theirs. COBB implementation, however, is far more polished and nuanced than the relatively basic OS patch available now (which will become polished over time, being worked on). On the other hand, I can implement a hybrid Alpha-N / Speed Density patch on my car tomorrow if I wanted :)

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
That being said - for the complete geek obsessive compulsive self tuner with a sadistic need to take up all their spare time pulling their tune apart and reassembling it - open source is far superior. I've got some experimental tables that to date you only find on commercial systems like AEM or megasquirt, and I don't have to wait for a new release to add functionality and tables / parameters on. At my own risk, of course ;)

Only open source will do this but as you say... what main stream user is going to do this sort of thing. :D

COBB's speed density patch is a good case in point - OS has had this available for over 3 years, and recently for later model Subaru's, whilst COBB has only just released theirs. COBB implementation, however, is far more polished and nuanced than the relatively basic OS patch available now (which will become polished over time, being worked on). On the other hand, I can implement a hybrid Alpha-N / Speed Density patch on my car tomorrow if I wanted :)

But Cobb has had Speed density for eons in there AccessTuner Pro software. It was not as readily available for the 32 bit computers in RomRaider until very recently. :tup: One of the reasons they delay release to the mainstream public is because they spent that much time proving the process and developing a solution for the armature user. One thing I know about cobb is they don't release something unless it has been fully tested first.

Last edited:

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
My tuner has been tuning with it for some time... I've watched him do it.