Cobb AP- to get or not to get?

Hello everyone!
I am debating on getting a COBB AP. I dont know much about programmers, but i am told they are amazing. My question is, are they best used for stock application? I currently have a megan open DP with a (i believe) Grimmspeed EWG and tial 38mm gate, invidia dp back, Front mount IC, Cobb intake, and HKS bov setup for recirc duty and Grimmspeed EBC. These mods were on the car when i bought it and the car seems to run rich cause i can smell the exhaust if im just sitting in one spot. Would a Cobb AP still do me justice? Or is it needed to be tuned professionally? Any input is greatly appreciated! If any more information is needed that i may have missed just let me know and i will answer them to the best of my knowledge! Thanks in advance!

Grinder34

Track Monkey

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
I am pro tuned and use the AP so you can most definitely use it when modified, mild to wild. The catch is, as Grinder said, you have to have a custom map made. You can't use the OTS maps that come with it, beyond what the maps are designed for.
If you run multiple fuel types, like me, then the AP is a very convenient option.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Oh yeah, forgot to ask: did the previous owner of the car have it tuned? With your set of mods, it REALLY should have a tune, so I hope it already does.

I bought the car from a dealer so i am unsure if it was ever tuned, it does have an EFI Logics decal on the side skirt, and EFI Logics fuse box cover. But again, i do not know. There are no gauges so i dont even know how much boost i am pushing, but it seems like quite a bit compared to my SRT-4. I dont know much about tuning, data logging, or that sort of thing lol. With it smelling like exhaust in the car it tells me its running rich, or i have an exhaust leak at the dp. With the sponsor tuning, what all does that intail? Or, if i get an AP, can it be sent in for a "custom" tune? Thanks for the replies guys and Grinder for the links they were helpful

Grinder34

Track Monkey
If you go with the AP, you'll be able to log and monitor things like boost and afrs (its not perfect for ARF, but it'll give you an idea). There are some walk-thoughs on here on how to do that.

The sponsor tuning, would put you in touch with our resident tuner and he'd look at logs, make changes, and keep iterating through the process until you were both happy with the results. He can work with both the AP and "open source".

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I bought the car from a dealer so i am unsure if it was ever tuned, it does have an EFI Logics decal on the side skirt, and EFI Logics fuse box cover. But again, i do not know. There are no gauges so i dont even know how much boost i am pushing, but it seems like quite a bit compared to my SRT-4. I dont know much about tuning, data logging, or that sort of thing lol. With it smelling like exhaust in the car it tells me its running rich, or i have an exhaust leak at the dp. With the sponsor tuning, what all does that intail? Or, if i get an AP, can it be sent in for a "custom" tune? Thanks for the replies guys and Grinder for the links they were helpful

No need to send the AP to anyone. It re-flashes the stock ECU with what ever maps you have loaded on it. Since you require a custom tune you would have to hand your car and the AP over to a tuner for them to give you a custom map. There are no OTS maps for your mods.

As mentioned you can take advantage of our e-tuning service but you would need to familiarize yourself with logging with a laptop and the AccessTuner Race software. You also need to install a wide band AFR gauge. In the end it may just be easier for you to take it to someone to have it pro tuned.

An other option is OpenSource. Much cheaper but not nearly as convenient. The thing is, if you get a pro-tune they run you around $400-$500 and then the AP is another $595 on top of that. But you will have the AP to monitor and log things down the road and be able to conveniently switch maps on the fly. An OpenSource tune does not require you to buy anything other than the tune itself. If you want to later on, you have the option of purchasing the Tactrix OpenPort 2 for $170 to allow you to log through your laptop and, if needed, re-flash maps through your laptop

Either way an e-tune is going to require some work on your part and the easiest solution for you is either AccessPort and a pro-tune or OpenSource and a pro-tune. If you are willing to put in the effort and the time, then read this... http://www.igotasti.com/vBforum/showthread.php?3830-E-Tuning-Service-for-Paying-Members

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up Holy. So from my understanding, If i get the AP, i can run an already programmed "tune" for now, and get a wideband guage to start data logging and then contact the members on here for a tune and start there? I havent heard of anywhere around here (northern Indiana) that does tunes for a Subaru. I am unable to locate any shops around here that will tune it. There is a place in Indianapolis that tunes with romraider for mitsu and subaru but i was leaning more towards Cobb

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Not quite. The AP comes with some maps, but none are appropriate for the mods on your car.

If you get either an AP or a Tactrix cable (the hardware for open source), you can get tuned via an e-tune. You'll also want/need a wideband for the WOT part of the e-tune. You can get a quote from some of the vendors on here, but I think it'll be at least $150 for a wideband, and then you'll need a bung welded to the downpipe, the gauge installed etc. You can save $$ by doing that yourself, but I dont know how comfortable you are welding and wiring.

If you go to a shop right now, it'll almost certainly be $400-$500 for a tune. Usually (sometimes?) if you go back for a re-tune later due to adding mods, changing fuels, etc... they give you a price break, but doing shop tunes gets expensive.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Definitely a no go with your mods and the preloaded maps on the AP.
Mine was 600 for two maps, iirc, so yes it can get pricey.
You might just do some logging and let Holy look it over to check the health of the tune and then decide whether you want to go AP and start over.

Yea i spoke to Craig at FTP about getting an AP because they are on sale this month for $535, so was gonna save some cash. I am a certified welder and almost done with school for Electronic Engineering, so i know my way around wiring...err sorta:tard:! I thought getting an AP would be a great start for "new" beginings but alot more is required than i anticipated. I just feel like my car is not running properly, sorta has a fluttery idle (between 500-900rpm) when at a stop plus the stronger smell of exhaust. I did have it overboost on my one time doing a 5th gear pull (from about 60-100). I guess i will hold off on the AP for now, do some more research, get my gauges going, see about getting a tune done "locally", and start from there?

Td_d

Commander In Chief
Or you could get a tactrix for $169, I can set up a full definition xml for you, and Holy can do a tune for you.

I was thinking of getting an AEM Wideband- $174 (comes with 02) An invidia dp- $259(two bungs, match rest of exhaust, i dont like megan racing lol), that =$433 bucks, can offset some of that buy selling the dp so lets say $320+tactrix$169+ Holy's work + Td's work= probably about the same as AP? Seems worth it in my opinion

STI 2NR

Do not buy this garbage absolute waste of money. A netbook and a vagcom cable can be had for less than 200 bucks. If you want OTS maps they are all available on open source. You just have to know where to look.