Crank Pulley/pulley set

Alter3go

I'm looking to lighten the pulleys in the vehicle but I'd like to know does this harm the engine at all? I'd imagine the engine is going to lose its mind with the weight being reduced and able to spin faster on the crank n other belts. What are your guys thoughts?

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
I thought about this mod at one point. I've decided to wait until I install a built motor and the Batmobile
becomes a garage queen. :lol:

Either way, I've heard that modifications to the tune may be required. Something about less load on the
engine, at idle especially, makes the ECU have a shit fit. I'd bet money that HolyCrapItsFast would know.
If I find out more, I will let you know.

Alter3go

Shweeeet deal. I want to but don't want to shell out money I know in the past for just a crank pulley I have not, but with a set this sensitive subaru engine it'll throw a tantrum

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
You shouldn't really have any issues unless you experience any misfire codes as a result, yet it is rare to get misfire codes from light weight pulleys. However IMO you would get more bang for your buck if you put your money into other mods. The gain from the pulleys is going to be marginal at best and may cause rougher idle. the best you will get out of it is a sharper response but you may not even notice that.

What mods are on the car now?

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
You shouldn't really have any issues unless you experience any misfire codes as a result, yet it is rare to get misfire codes from light weight pulleys. However IMO you would get more bang for your buck if you put your money into other mods. The gain from the pulleys is going to be marginal at best and may cause rougher idle. the best you will get out of it is a sharper response but you may not even notice that.

Misfire codes! That's what I was trying to remember! I told you George would know!!! :tup:

Alter3go

Well i like my car to be responsive I don't care much for tons of power I like driving it just cause, but I like long term health but keeping the parts somewhat close to stock if you get what I'm saying nothing extravagant that's going to change the overall feel such as switching from a UEL to EL header. Just doing my research n playing it safe n I have some experts that I can ask on here. As far as mods:

COBB APv2
COBB BPV
COBB DP
COBB CAI w/AB
GRIMMSPEED AOS
SPT short throw
SPT CBE

what would you get to get best bang for my buck?

Alter3go

Lol I should've said except sways n end links I do have plans for that those will be my next along with strut tower bars

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Well i like my car to be responsive I don't care much for tons of power I like driving it just cause, but I like long term health but keeping the parts somewhat close to stock if you get what I'm saying nothing extravagant that's going to change the overall feel such as switching from a UEL to EL header. Just doing my research n playing it safe n I have some experts that I can ask on here. As far as mods:

COBB APv2
COBB BPV
COBB DP
COBB CAI w/AB
GRIMMSPEED AOS
SPT short throw
SPT CBE

what would you get to get best bang for my buck?

I would say that is it :lol: Maybe a stage 2 protune if you don't have one already. What about a fuel pump. Most stage 2 cars require this because they start reaching the top of there injectors at WOT and upgrading to a Walbro usually helps with that.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
When looking at strut tower bars, keep in mind that they don't make that much of a difference. The
exception is a rear strut bar with a X or V-brace, sometimes called a triangle brace. Without the bracing,
the rear strut bar isn't nearly as effective. I have a rear bar with brace, and a front bar. I don't have the
front bar installed right now and honestly I don't miss it.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Lol I should've said except sways n end links I do have plans for that those will be my next along with strut tower bars

Let me tell you about strut bars. I bought the cheapest shit that included front rear and underbody h brace all for $140 shipped. Prolly best $140 spent. Theyre still in one piece, theyre still holding strong, and theyre still cheap! :rofl:

The pink tree piece package on ebay. Idk if its still there but i personally did not want to shell out almost $200 on a single strut bar. Cause thats sway bar territory and the sways are substantially better!

Alter3go

I would say that is it :lol: Maybe a stage 2 protune if you don't have one already. What about a fuel pump. Most stage 2 cars require this because they start reaching the top of there injectors at WOT and upgrading to a Walbro usually helps with that.

Do the fuel pumps generate codes? Or is the protune required I eventually want to get a protune but i not entirely convinced it's necessary especially not for I have on the car and money it cost to get one.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Front strut bars are useless. The strut towers on an STI are connected by the firewall and the only value a strut bar has is visual. :tup: As batmobile suggests the rear one makes more sense to me.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
HolyCrapItsFast can do a tune for you. ;)

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Do the fuel pumps generate codes? Or is the protune required I eventually want to get a protune but i not entirely convinced it's necessary especially not for I have on the car and money it cost to get one.

Nope! Fuel pump is just plug and play :tup:

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Front strut bars are useless. The strut towers on an STI are connected by the firewall and the only value a strut bar has is visual. :tup: As batmobile suggests the rear one makes more sense to me.

What about underbody h brace and rear x brace?

Alter3go

When looking at strut tower bars, keep in mind that they don't make that much of a difference. The
exception is a rear strut bar with a X or V-brace, sometimes called a triangle brace. Without the bracing,
the rear strut bar isn't nearly as effective. I have a rear bar with brace, and a front bar. I don't have the
front bar installed right now and honestly I don't miss it.

I particularly like the triangle braces n they aren't too much extra. I kind of like them. I plan on tryin AutoX soon but I'm still learning how to drive this car. Lot different from anything I've driven it's my first AWD vehicle and doesn't quite react like others I've driven so currently toying with the three different modes n vehicle response sometimes I feel like stock is better engine wise but suspension and stiffness isn't quite there on this thing it rolls more than I care for

Alter3go

Let me tell you about strut bars. I bought the cheapest shit that included front rear and underbody h brace all for $140 shipped. Prolly best $140 spent. Theyre still in one piece, theyre still holding strong, and theyre still cheap! :rofl:

The pink tree piece package on ebay. Idk if its still there but i personally did not want to shell out almost $200 on a single strut bar. Cause thats sway bar territory and the sways are substantially better!

I'll take a look at them thank you.