Engine block build requirements

Darkhorse

hi again guys,

i have a clarification that i need from you or anyone who could know this...on the stock 2008 STI how much power can the stock (OEM) block take? i am now pushing 247kw (about 330hp) at wheels! is this too much for the stock block? my pistons are stock as well as the conrods and everthing else inside the motor....i was thinking of switching to forged pistons and rods then replace the gasket head and tighten with the ARP head studs...will this be a better option or i need to replace even the block itself with maybe say a cosworth high performance one? your ideas and contribution will really assit...i am in a tight spotas my car is smoking white and consuming coolant. (refer to my previous thread on white smoke on a 2008 Subaru STI)

many thanks in advance...

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
The stock block should more than handle your power... I wouldn't worry about a built block until around 400-450 whp.

As for you coolant issue, I believe it is head gasket related. But whether or not you need a new block as a result can only be determined by a mechanic IMO

Darkhorse

Thanks a lot holy...I believ the gasket might assist as well.however I got feedback from subaru sayin that its possible the smoke cud b a result of oil as well n hence possible broken piston ring gland...but does thay require me to buy a new block? Or I cud simply get forged piston n rods, tighten the heads with head studs wit a new gasket....cant that work guys...the block costs n arm n a leg

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Well I would never recommend drop in pistons for the reason that the new rings need a freshly honed piston to seat properly. You may end up with other problems. Plus if you replace the rods then you have to separate the block halves anyway and at that point you are better off doing complete machine work and a rebuild.

It may be expensive on the surface but in the end, replacing the block will probably save you money. If you are doing the work yourself, it will surely be the easiest.