Engine mystery Need Help

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
all this seems fishy to me. i dont see how you can lose THAT much oil, the motor runs like crap, but the compression numbers are fine....

Exactly... That's why I'm drawn to the turbo being an issue. Unless I'm missing something, with out any visible leaks the turbo is the only other thing that can cause that kind of oil consumption. That or leaky valve stem seals, but less likely than turbo.

I would be interested to see the results of a dry versus wet compression test. That could tell allot. :tup:

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
This problem sounds a little familiar to me.

I have an '04, and a buddy that used to have an '04 who also had similar issues.

His issue sounded almost exactly like yours. It was definitely his turbo. Take the boost tube off the output
of the turbo and look inside. He had a film of oil and small droplets inside, all the way through his intercooler.

I never had a loss of oil, but I did have some issues with not running as smooth as it once did and had a
hard time achieving peak boost. My hot side was cracked, especially around the IWG output port.

To clarify, both of these issues were on the stock turbo.

Flyerdena

OK guys so last night as we were starting to do the log. My turbo was only spooling at 9lbs of boost, and I had no waste gate duty cycle numbers. We cleaned the MAF and swapped/tested another boost controller. It didnt work the boost controller but when we cleaned the MAF it started working again. Shortly after that while driving on the highway it started again to only give me 9lbs of boost. It sat overnight and this morning while on my way to work it was working FINE again.

And yes we are on the stock turbo.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
OK guys so last night as we were starting to do the log. My turbo was only spooling at 9lbs of boost, and I had no waste gate duty cycle numbers. We cleaned the MAF and swapped/tested another boost controller. It didnt work the boost controller but when we cleaned the MAF it started working again. Shortly after that while driving on the highway it started again to only give me 9lbs of boost. It sat overnight and this morning while on my way to work it was working FINE again.

And yes we are on the stock turbo.

The reason for this is because the ECU detected a probelm and put the car into safe mode. Safe mode reverts to more conservative fuel and timing maps and shuts off turbo dynamics to limit the turbo out put to waste gate pressure which is 9psi.

The ECU does not take this lightly and it takes some pretty bad conditions to throw it into safe mode. I repeat.... Something is wrong and we need to see a log to figure it out. I need to see both fuel trims for corrected and learned as well as feed back knock and fine learned knock. A log of both town and highway driving is ideal and maybe one WOT in 3rd up to 5000 rpm.

You can use Google Docs to post it.

I must insist you not go WOT any more after this until we figure out what is wrong.

Last edited: