Finally.

SleepyBear

WRX to DOM3 STI

Finally decided to make a journal on my STI and how i came to getting one. First off i used to own a 2006 Aspen White Wrx. Bought that when it had 15,000 miles on it. It was completely stock and started upgrading one thing at a time. i looooved everything about it and the AWD was amazing in the winter. Everytime i saw an STI though i just wanted the "STI" more and more. (Jealousy" In late October of 2009 i totalled my Wrx. Hit black ice with the summer tires still on going 45mph around a corner. Went down a cliff into a swamp, rolled/flipped the car 2-3 times from what i remember. Insurance company paid what i owed and i got refunded for my modifications, kept every receipt i had for the Wrx. A month later found a great deal on a '05psm STI in New Jersey so a buddy and i went down and picked her up and haven't looked back since!! :) Had to have the Dom3 rebuilt so sent that out to Blouch and they did it for free! Great service from them. Put that back onto the car and got a tune from Clark Turner with my Ap2. Car ran fine for a couple months then started having idle issues and oil blowing out exhaust. Didn't really think too much of it. Left for bootcamp and about a year later got my STI back when i got stationed in Oceana VA, where i'm currently at. Started to notice the car would go through oil like crazy and decided i had enough and went to All Aspects and had a compression test done. Used Mobile1 5w30 and had a stock STI motor with a Dom3. Found out cylinder 4 was veryyyy low on compression. Decided to get a built shortblock etc etc etc. Since then car has been running great just waiting to purchase a big Maf and getting a retune. I see e85 in the near future for the STI!

WRX PICS:
100_3096.jpg
GoodHewLake.jpg

100_3280.jpg

100_3281.jpg

100_1813.jpg

100_1814.jpg

011_11.jpg

3.jpg

100_3291.jpg

100_3293.jpg

100_3321.jpg

DSC03700.jpg

intercooler.jpg

STI Modifications:
Engine
8:2:1 Compression
Semi Closed Rallispec Built Shortblock
Cleaned/Machined Heads
Cosworth Forged Pistons
Manley 4340 steel H-beam conrods
Acl bearings
Factory Nitrated Crankshaft
Arp Headstuds
Blouch Dominator 3.0
850cc Injectors
UTEC
76mm Maf
Invidia n1 catted turboback exhaust
TXS Oil Catch Can
TurboXs FMIC
TurboXs Recirculating BOV
Act Stage2 Clutch
Lightened Flywheel
Pitchmount
Unequal length Headers
Perrin lightweight pulley
K&N airfilter

Exterior
Stock BBS rims "flat black"
Carbon Fiber Exhaust bumper protector
Rallyarmor Mudflaps
Perrin Endlinks
Cross/Slotted Rotors
Stock sways...used to have aftermarket but they rubbed too much
245 45 17 Cooper Zeons All seasons
35% Tint

Interior
Lamco Boost Gauge
Valentine 1 Radar Detector
AEM digital air/fuel ratio gauge

'05STI PICS:

3-2.jpg

winter.jpg

2010-02-16_155324.jpg

37587_145343222149414_100000212112464_458793_5257692_n.jpg

bigturbo.jpg

BobbysScoob.jpg

IMG_20110523_170349.jpg

IMG_20110626_133243.jpg

IMG_20110626_133300.jpg

IMG_20110626_133221.jpg

Last edited:

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Subscribed.

Paul.c

Too many pics? Never.

Car looks great. My only complaint would be the holes in the trunk. Gotta get that fixed ASAP!!

SleepyBear

A little update: just installed two new bfgoodrich all seasons in the front and got a new alignment. Wow what a difference!!!

The need list:
Rear o2 sensor
Perrin BigMaf intake
Manual Boost Controller

Then ditching the UTEC and getting an opensource tune from Spec Op's. :D

Td_d

Commander In Chief
Yeah, rear O2 deletes cause a whole bunch of problems, definitely used extensively by the Ecu.

DierwulfBL

A little update: just installed two new bfgoodrich all seasons in the front and got a new alignment. Wow what a difference!!!

The need list:
Rear o2 sensor
Perrin BigMaf intake
Manual Boost Controller

Then ditching the UTEC and getting an opensource tune from Spec Op's. :D

I hope that your rear tires were already new, because running varying tread depths front/rear can eat your center diff. Friend with a WRX did this and his center diff lasted 5k miles before it died. Food for thought, replace all 4 tires if tread depth is greater than 10% difference (that is 1/32nd of a inch difference, yes you will need a tread depth gauge). I personally would not drive it until that is remedied. Lookin good though!!

SleepyBear

yeah thanks to REK for helping me out with the "to do list!"As for the rear tires, they look pretty much brand new man. Thanks for the heads up though! I had no clue that could cause that big of an issue!

Paul.c

There is a 9mm difference in sidewall height. I don't like it. Especially if the rears are already worn a little, meaning there is more than 9mm difference between the front and rear.

SleepyBear

Just a little update on my STI. I haven't had my car since i went on leave for Christmas. Finally making progress, $4,100 later.... Basically the wiring was a total mess from whoever had the car before me. Had the Subaru Dealership rewire a lot of issues, had to get a new ECU put in as well.

I ditched the UTEC and had George aka "Holycrapitsfast" come up to my parents house to try and tune my car. Found out that my throttle body is bad. Purchased a new PnP throttle body from Grimmspeed and will arrive at my parents house to be installed Friday/Saturday. As of now the car will not idle past 2,000rpms due to throttle body mechanism being broke. Once that is replaced George is going to come back up and tune the car open source! :)

I give a big shout out to George for helping me out with all his input/advice!!! He is a grrreat guy and will do anything for anybody in the Subaru community!!!

-Bobby-

SleepyBear

So my car starts up but will not rev passed 1500 rpms. Tried two new ecus, read all wires and replaced the whole trottle body with a n.ew ported Grimmspeed one. I'm at a loss of what the issue could be. There are also no codes popping. The subaru dealership nor George have no idea what the issue could be.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
So my car starts up but will not rev passed 1500 rpms. Tried two new ecus, read all wires and replaced the whole trottle body with a n.ew ported Grimmspeed one. I'm at a loss of what the issue could be. There are also no codes popping. The subaru dealership nor George have no idea what the issue could be.

George has no idea? If you where close to me I would have you bring it to my garage.