GD George's cars (Retired)

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Ok thats a sick ass logo! :bigtup:

i have a list jotted down as to what the possibilites are. When do we find out?! :lol:

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Might just have to steal that logo. :rofl:

LOVE IT!

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
secret.png

:lol: :tup:

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Made more progress on my chiller/heater unit...

Peltier Junctions are two TEC1-12710 90w units. I tested them in this state and my finger froze and got stuck on the Peltier. :tard:
20140809_223738.jpg

This is a picture of the chiller box assembled. It is an enclosed heat sink. The water is cooled (or heated) as it flows through a series of fins. The ends of each successive fin is milled to allow the water to flow back and forth nine times. The total theoretical tube length is 54" and the surface area is 162 square inches.
20140809_223819.jpg

To keep the thermal energy in the chiller box I added a layer of closed cell foam. This will help keep the environment conditions from influencing the chillers effectiveness The only thing I have to do is spray foam insulation between the chill box and the heat sink to further isolate the two.
20140810_180451.jpg

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
How many mice does one man need?! :tard:

Awesome work, keep it coming! :bigtup:

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
In reality an AWIC is more efficient than an AAIC. A normal setup is no more expensive than an AAIC and it is ideal for use in daily driven applications. The only issue is that there are no plug and play solutions for an STI and any system has to be hand pick and custom fabricated. That leaves people to their own devices when it come to picking and choosing parts on their own and most of those people don't have the poetic license to spec out an AWIC system intelligently

If there was a company that made an AWIC solution that was based on real research and was plug and play, perhaps they would be more popular.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
So is this the cue for you to start one up?! :tup:

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
I fully read a thread by turbineguy on IWSTI. That is the closest I've come to seeing anyone do research and providing data to back up the efficiency of an awic. Frozenboost.com was referenced a few times and I've since compiled a list. Pricing seems to be below a large TMIC from the name brand guys, without getting crazy on buying braided lines, etc.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Right... It is with in the reach of just about anybody and at the price of a good standard IC. That thread was responsible for getting me interested in AWIC's. It just made perfect sense to me.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
I read it and discussed it with a few engineers at work and everything clicked, like duh. Reason we utilize awic in our applications and gas to water coolers.
I've even looked at maybe applying something like alcohol or ammonia for the coolant to further help heat transfer, though that is getting beyond me. Lol

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Those types of coolant will only work if they are allowed to evaporate or change states. As a transfer medium, they are less than desirable. Water is the best transfer medium that is both readily available and cheep. The other coolants you mention will work very well as a spray to help cool the heat exchanger from the outside. The evaporative effect of those liquids is far better than water and, when used in that manner, have the potential to cool the output of the heat exchanger to below ambient temperature.

One thing you could do is use a surfactant in the water to break down the surface tension of the water to allow better contact with the metal surfaces inside the heat exchanger thereby improving thermal transfer. They call this water wetter.

Subsequently my device incorporates an IC spray feature and I plan on using a 50/50 mix of water to alcohol to take advantage of the evaporative effects. I can't wait to start testing this system as a whole because though one part may not have the biggest impact, all of them together will.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
I did some reading after I posted that and picked up a nice little read on coolants in heat exchanger. Yes, it appears water is the king. There are exotic oils and other things that can be used but are really impractical for the average or even well funded systems.
The article even stated that water mixed with 30% ethylene glycol only reduces heat transfer by about 3% from straight water. As sited by the article per Dow chemical.
Picking up some sprayers and hosing the core down with alky/water or washer fluid containing methanol sounds like a nice plan. Oh boy, here we go. Last thing I need is another project. Lol

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I did some reading after I posted that and picked up a nice little read on coolants in heat exchanger. Yes, it appears water is the king. There are exotic oils and other things that can be used but are really impractical for the average or even well funded systems.
The article even stated that water mixed with 30% ethylene glycol only reduces heat transfer by about 3% from straight water. As sited by the article per Dow chemical.
Picking up some sprayers and hosing the core down with alky/water or washer fluid containing methanol sounds like a nice plan. Oh boy, here we go. Last thing I need is another project. Lol

Glad I could inspire some thought provoking ideas :D. I have given this a lot of thought over the years and my job lends the playground for much of it. I have allot of resources and knowledge to tap.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I had some down time today and decided to mount the display of my AWIC controller. Not to shabby if I do say so myself! :tard:

Display1.jpg

Display2.jpg

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Dude!!!! That looks sick!!!! :bow: :tup:

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
You're fucking kidding me..... :(

I hope you're alright, but whatttttttttttttttttt?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(